Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Glock G43 extended magazines?

Site Supporter
    I posted a while ago about my agency’s experience with 43 mags. We are all issued a 43 as a bug. Every time we shoot quals I see plenty of malfunctions up and down the line. 24 different guns with every manner of extension on the market. None work reliably. So far the “best” has been the 9 round ETS magazine. They generally feed reliably, but fail to lock my slide back over 50% of the time. I will only carry and recommend factory 6 round mags for carry.

I think the “A” answer would be for them to scrap the 43 as is, and just make a shorter grip 43x. But I doubt that ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by msstate56 View Post
    I posted a while ago about my agency’s experience with 43 mags. We are all issued a 43 as a bug. Every time we shoot quals I see plenty of malfunctions up and down the line. 24 different guns with every manner of extension on the market. None work reliably. So far the “best” has been the 9 round ETS magazine. They generally feed reliably, but fail to lock my slide back over 50% of the time. I will only carry and recommend factory 6 round mags for carry.

I think the “A” answer would be for them to scrap the 43 as is, and just make a shorter grip 43x. But I doubt that ever happens.
    Just for clarity do they all run with factory mags?

A 43x compact grip would be kewl......I have a 43x that I like much but am waiting to see if this will happen.

Every time we shoot quals I see plenty of malfunctions up and down the line.
    Is this true with factory magazine with no extension/adapters?

Site Supporter
    Most people are running extended mags of some type because it speeds up the qual (less reloading). I’ve noticed that when using the factory 6 round mags there are far fewer (I won’t say none) malfunctions. I honestly can’t think of any I’ve had with 6 rounders. Anyone that’s spent time on a police Qual line knows that most of the malfunctions are not “the gun’s” fault.

Site Supporter
    I've thought this would be best ever since the 43X was released. Then you have a whole slimline system: Long slide/short slide, 10 round grip/7-ish round grip, 7-ish round grip with 10 round extended magazine, etc...

Plus add a miniature MOS system while you're at it.

I have an ETS 9 round mag and it has worked 100% of the time with 150 rounds of WWB 115. I know this doesn't work for you, but when I need 10 rounds I switch to my 48 frame. I am not sold on the Shield Arms mags yet, so I stick with my 10 rounders.

In terms of making 9mm's work in a single stack magazine I think back guns like the P08, P38, C96, 225 and the list can go on and on. I think single stacks 9's have been pretty well vetted. Why it is difficult with the Glock 43 seems a mystery to me.

You might give the ETS mag a go. They are not terribly expensive and might be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    I have an ETS 9 round mag and it has worked 100% of the time with 150 rounds of WWB 115. I know this doesn't work for you, but when I need 10 rounds I switch to my 48 frame. I am not sold on the Shield Arms mags yet, so I stick with my 10 rounders.

In terms of making 9mm's work in a single stack magazine I think back guns like the P08, P38, C96, 225 and the list can go on and on. I think single stacks 9's have been pretty well vetted. Why it is difficult with the Glock 43 seems a mystery to me.

You might give the ETS mag a go. They are not terribly expensive and might be a good option.

A list of guns generally famous for liking FMJ...
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    A list of guns generally famous for liking FMJ...
    Well that's true. I was thinking old school, but there is also the Smith 39 series (I've had great success with my 3913), HK P7M8, the various Sigs, 225, 239, 938, Kahrs, even the lowly Star M43 Firestar.

Right or wrong,I think that when people think 10 rounds in a compact Glock they go to the 43x or 48. I understand the need for a quality 9/10 round Glock 43 magazine,but it looks like the market has yet to support it.

I've got a few thousand rounds through some G43 mags with the Tangodown Vickers +2 extensions with zero issues, these include a new spring and baseplate. A colleague from another agency has been shooting and teaching within his agency with two earlier G43's and the Vickers +2 without issues. I've seen the ETS mags fail to lock back on quals or practice on the range. TT's seem to have issues all across the board, been seeing them fall apart on impacts on the ground, but I'm not running them on my guns. I've heard good things on the Shield Arms extensions for the full size Glocks, their S15 mags run fine in my new G43X, but only 500+ rounds through them thus far. Just my experience though

I'm gonna pile onto the six round mantra.

The 43 is a true single stack and the tapered case just doesn't fare well with a very long stack as the top round wants to tip down and the rim wants to lock into extractor groove of the next round down. It makes it more sensitive to bullet ogive shape than a double stack.

Glock fell into the same trap as the 9mm 1911 with the 43.

User Tag List