Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointing Guns

AMT Hardballer.

I flipped a lot of burgers to buy that piece of shit.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Early Gen 4 9mm Glocks. Both of mine were terrible, and everyone else I know who had one also had problems.

Beretta 21a. Mine is threaded. And, it could be a really cool suppressor host if I could just get it to run with bulk pack.

Gen 1 9mm M&Ps. Accuracy was definitely disappointing.

Smith 442 .38. Mine went out of time in a few hundred rounds. Then, the strut/post the hammer rides on broke off. When Smith replaced the frame, the gun came back with the barrel visibly not straight. It shot about how you'd expect.

Sig P226 Wouldn't reset at the short reset point. Sent back to Sig and it came back with the same issue. @JV told me he had the same issue and how to fix it. It worked fine after that, so not too disappointing, but it was pretty disappointing that Sig produced a gun with an obvious defect that should have been discovered in a simple function check and failed to fix it when it was returned.

1) Browning Buckmark. I bought this after selling a perfectly good Ruger 22/45 that I got tired of taking apart. The Buckmark was a nice looking gun, but I couldn't make it through 2 or 3 magazines without jamming. I knew that I had made a mistake when I was spending more time unjamming the Buckmark than I had ever spent stripping the Ruger.

2) Kahr PM9. Back in the day, there weren't too many single-stack plastic 9mms, so the Kahr seemed like a good choice, but it was also a jam-o-matic. I sent it back to them at least once, maybe twice, but it never improved. No way was I going to rely on that thing.

Early S&W M&P was the worst piece of shit of a gun I've owned. Small parts falling out of a gun on initial inspection, over 8 inches pattern at 25, and BTF.
    Two 2016 Stock 2 Tanfoglios were the best shooting devices that I've owned. When they chose to run, that is.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    1) Browning Buckmark. I bought this after selling a perfectly good Ruger 22/45 that I got tired of taking apart.
    I have never, ever disassembled my 22/45. I probably never will. I just hose it down with brake cleaner and re-lube. Runs great, probably close to 10k rounds by now.

Site Supporter
    Kahr PM45. I was issued a colt 1911 and I really wanted a back up gun in 45 ACP. The PM45 was close to being perfect on paper but mine wouldn’t run reliably. I got rid of it and carried a Colt LW commander 45 ACP as back up and a S&W 642 for the rest of my career.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Let me guess; fired cartridge jammed against the standing breech due to the bottle neck case not adhering to the charge hole wall. Only fix was a clean and dry charge hole. I had a nickel M53 that jammed until I learned to swab the charge holes before each and every loading. Made an excellent single-shot revolver, which is how S&W should have designed it.
    It wasn't mine. The owner wiped down the cartridges and the chambers with lighter fluid and then dried them before loading. It still jammed.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

1) The aforementioned Uzi - ergonomics slightly worse than a brick, sights that suck, and a bolt that slams back and forth like a shotput.

2) Every 9mm Glock I've ever shot. I still don't get the fascination with them. The mushy trigger, sharp corners, a magazine release that might as well be in another zip code (for me at least). The ubiquity almost over comes these problems, but never does for me. I've tried on multiple occasions, but with guns out there that fit better in my hand, don't shoot left, and have better triggers - I've just never been anything but disappointed.

3) The HK P7. I'll never truly understand the fascination with this gun. A gun of a thousand compromises - squeeze cocker makes me grip the gun weird, heel magazine release precludes the gun from being in a serious fighting gun. That in addition to the heat generated from shooting it. I'm not sure how someone would take a shooting class without a pair of P7s and a set of oven mitts. The redeeming quality, is that the P7 is a very safe gun to carry, particularly appendix. And they do shoot well, due in large part to soft recoil and all steel construction. But at this point, since they're like 2200 bucks - I doubt I could be convinced to buy one for anything other than collection purposes.

S&W 329PD...Scandium N frame .44 that I thought would be a great option mountain biking through Grizzly country and easy to pack bank fishing for Salmon.

They came stocked with wood, Ahrends like units.

1st two rounds single action, followed by 2 double taps at a 7 yard target.

I could not feel my hand from recoil. Not to mention even two handed my recoil recovery started above eye level.

Straight to the LGS I bought it at, traded at a loss on a 45-70. They even tried to talk me into swapping grips for Pachmayr's and giving it another try. No, Fuck No.

I shoot right handed, and write left handed, which is a good thing because if I had needed to use my right hand to fill out the 4473 it would have been a no go.

My hand was buzzy for a couple hours after, and hurt to make a fist for a couple days.

Satan's N frame.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

3) The HK P7. I'll never truly understand the fascination with this gun. A gun of a thousand compromises - squeeze cocker makes me grip the gun weird, heel magazine release precludes the gun from being in a serious fighting gun. That in addition to the heat generated from shooting it. I'm not sure how someone would take a shooting class without a pair of P7s and a set of oven mitts. The redeeming quality, is that the P7 is a very safe gun to carry, particularly appendix. And they do shoot well, due in large part to soft recoil and all steel construction. But at this point, since they're like 2200 bucks - I doubt I could be convinced to buy one for anything other than collection purposes.
    A friend of mine had a fascination with these, and bought two - one to store away, and one to shoot. He let me shoot it, and I didn't hate it.

A couple of other notes on this thread:

Another friend of mine had a M1 carbine, and let me shoot it. At the time, I didn't know the difference between the regular M1 and the carbine, and I thought I was going to get to shoot the former. When he was loading it for me, I thought the rounds looked a little wimpy, and when I shot it, it felt like I was shooting .22LR. I guess it served its purpose, but I'm not sure I would've wanted to go to war with that.

There was a gun I tried to be disappointed in, but failed. The same friend that had the M1 carbine also had a Hi Point 9mm carbine. I felt skanky just holding it, but during our range session, it worked flawlessly and was accurate enough to hit the paper.

User Tag List