Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointing Guns

I've had some disappointments, but unfortunately it took me a while to realize that the guns sucked. I'm going to cause some butthurt with this, but with this thread topic it's inevitable.

S&W TDAs. My 669 and 1006 looked so awesome, and they were my first centerfire autos. But after I shot them for a year, they turned out to be steaming piles of shit, with trigger problems, frame peening, firing pin issues, and an incredibly stupid number of parts. When got finally an HK USP, I realized that the S&W autos were guns that looked good, but weren't well designed.

Wait for it...

1911s. After being a happy HK owner, I started watching the Unit, and got sucked into the idea that if I shot 1911s then I could be Operator as Fuck. Fast forward a few years, thousands of dollars, and countless mechanical issues including special magazines that degrade over time, special ammo, tuned extractors that are ammo-specific, fitted safeties, a $2500 gun with frame permanently damaged by peening of the slide stop, the flimsy wedge of the ambi safety broke, grip safety sticking, malfunctions that take minutes to never to resolve, and more. I started to realize that these were not guns I wanted as life safety equipment, and I wasn't interested in owning them anymore.

Then I shot a Glock. And holy shit! I shot it as well as I shot my 1911s. Maybe not as tight a group at 25 yds, but in every way I cared about, the Glock was equal to or better than the 1911s. I sold all the 1911s and never looked back. (Except for a brief try shooting USPSA Open Division with a STI 2011, that is now also sold with no regrets.)

Sig p320. This was in some ways a good gun, except for some serious design flaws, including firing when dropped on carpet from 24". I sold them all, at a significant loss.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    S&W M53. It jammed more than a Kimber .45.

If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Beretta 92D. Bought one, threw in a bunch of Wilson parts, put ~75 rounds through it and thought, "It's harder to shoot than my Glocks and doesn't really feel any more special than them either." Sold it at a small loss the next day. I think it's the only gun I've ever bought and sold in the same week.

I think I had been hoping that I would get pleasure out of owning/shooting an all steel handgun, which I thought would spark an interest in berettas/lead to diversifying my handgun inventory with "nicer guns." I have a soft spot for the quality and aesthetic of post-war S&W wheelguns so I assumed this would translate to auto-pistols too.

Turns out I am a total philistine who doesn't give a shit what 9mm service pistol I am shooting because they all kinda feel the same to me. Lesson learned. Turns out my poor taste saves me quite a bit of money

Beretta Nano -front sight seemed to want to seek life elsewhere. Fed -ok- with ball but the only JHP it liked was Corbon 115. Never could get close to my standard for reliability in a carry gun which is 300 ball and 100 defense rounds.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

PPK .380.

Felt cheaply made. Horrible trigger and the slide was sharp as razor blades. Sliced the web of my dominant hand quite well. Very uncomfortable recoil impulse.

Yeah it's Bond's gun, but damn!

Sold it after 1 trip to the range.

Site Supporter
    Romanian PSL 7.62x54Rmm rifle I bought maybe 15 years ago. Such a cool-looking DMR-ish weapon should be more accurate, but it wasn’t even better than my AK. I should’ve kept it though, because I can’t believe how expensive they are now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    S&W M53. It jammed more than a Kimber .45.

Let me guess; fired cartridge jammed against the standing breech due to the bottle neck case not adhering to the charge hole wall. Only fix was a clean and dry charge hole. I had a nickel M53 that jammed until I learned to swab the charge holes before each and every loading. Made an excellent single-shot revolver, which is how S&W should have designed it.

Colt Cobra. My Glock 20 is far more pleasant to shoot. Stupid physics.

Disappointing Guns

New Walther PPK/S in stainless. What a complete and utter total piece of shit. Bought last December. Constant, repeated malfunctions in each of five mags shooting WWB, Fiocchi, Speer Lawman and a bunch of others. About 1200 rounds total without any improvement to reliability. A trip back to the factory without any improvement to reliability. Bought and tried the Wolff spring pack without any improvement to reliability. Broken plastic grips that were replaced by Walther and promptly broke again. No, not overtightened. Cuts to the web of my hand due to an overly sharp beavertail. Only being able to shoot it while wearing gloves is a pain in the ass. Once Walther’s customer service opens back up I’m sending it in again. Replace it so I can sell it NIB.

Franchi SPAS-12. One of the most badass movie guns, period. I found the exact setup I always wanted (rear sight latch on the folding stock, excellent condition) for a steal at $1200.

I took it apart and the receiver buffer promptly crumbled. I replaced that along with the grip plug, o-rings and stock buffer in short order and hit the range - ouch. That folding stock slaps your cheek hard. Using the manual pump you’re fighting the recoil spring so your off hand ends up tired after a tube dump. You have to depress a button to open the loading gate which makes for some awkwardness.

It’s sad to know that Muldoon would have been better off and maybe lived had he carried a wood-stocked 870 Express (or just opened the stock before leaving the emergency bunker with Sattler). I always thought his choice of flashiness was a bit odd for such a serious game warden.

All that being said, I’m not selling it.
    Last edited by S Jenks; 05-13-2020 at 11:39 AM.

S&W N-Frames did more than wreck my dreams; they wrecked my right thumb, hand, and wrist. This was a case of “feels good in the hand” being a lie. To get enough finger on the trigger, in DA mode, I had to shift my grip a bit farther right, that some later termed the “h-grip.” It took me about five years to understand this, so there was time for me to do plenty of cumulative damage.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List