Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointing Guns

Disappointing Guns

Thought we should have a thread for this since we've touched on the idea in a few places.

What gun(s) did you have built up in your head, and when you actually got a chance to shoot said gun it ended up being a huge disappointment that destroyed your dreams?

@RevolverRob had previously mentioned the Uzi, and @GJM and @Mike C recently had their chili shat in by B&T's TP9.

What about you?

For me, I'd say it was the HK Mk23. Brilliant on paper, but I at least hoped it would be fun to shoot. Fuck you Tom Clancy and your Rainbow 6 game series that I played growing up.....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Way back when I started reading about HKs, I read all about the Mk23 and thought it sounded awesome. I have XXXL hands, so I figured I'd be okay. Found one at a gun show, and decided the core audience for the thing is NBA players. I'm not that big.

USP45T is what the Mk23 should have been in the first place.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Used SIG P228 I got several years ago. I spent a lot of time on SIG forum back then and those folks worshipped the 228. Saw this one at a good price and jumped on it.
    It was just too different from my issued Austrian Tupperware that I ended up giving it to my son who shot it better than I did anyhow.

Site Supporter
    S&W Model 29, .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world. At this range, it will blow your head clean off.

I fired three factory 240gr rounds and gave it back. It was fun to blow up a reactive target with it, and it was accurate, but I’ll stick with more sedate levels of recoil fun. Pain doesn’t excite me. LOL.

I like to shoot anything that doesn't cause me actual physical pain.

But for things that lose their novelty right out of the gate, I'd say anything full auto. Once you get past the initial rush of banging away with something that's verboten to the public at large, then full auto just boils down to muzzle control issues, a long and tedious cleanup afterwards, and a massive ammo bill. It takes a few minutes longer longer with classics like the M-2 Browning and the MP-40, but it still happens faster than you'd think. Other NFA gear like SBRs and suppressors are always cool, though.

I also have very little patience for anything that's inaccurate. That stuff gets squared away with a quickness or it goes down the road.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    It was a SW 651 J frame 22 Magnum. I thought it would be a great 'kit' gun. However, with the ammo of the time, it just generated a big blast of seemingly unburned powder. On a paper target, 7 yards away, the target was covered with soot. 50 rounds through it, jammed it so tight with junk that I had to expend almost a whole spray can of cleaner to free the cylinder.

So I ditched it for a Taurus 22 LR - which was another piece of junk but not a disappointment as I didn't expect much.

The AR7 survival rifle. I wanted one for many years and found a really good deal on a new one. It’s reliability was greatly disappointing.

"Coltguard" Colt Trooper MK III in .22 LR was a disappointment. Great action, accurate, but fired cases could not be extracted without a hammer even after it went back to Colt. CCI, Federal, or Winchester made no difference; the cases were stuck in the charge holes. To add insult to injury, it came back with a big scratch on the cylinder that it did not have when it was shipped to Colt.

Our UMP40s at work. One of our FIs told me to load up a couple magazines at a qual and give it a try. They were the super cool guy guns that only Supes and our Boat guys could check out. After the first magazine I handed it back. Meh...crappy trigger. Definitely NOT an MP5.

Site Supporter
    Assuming we're leaving out junk (Taurus and the like)...

S&W 696: Shot one at a range day with some friends and peeps at another forum. Really clicked with me at that time. When I finally acquired one years later, the bloom was off the rose. It shot well enough, but anything approaching "warm" was unfun to shoot with small grips. Mild loads were kind of pointless IMO. At the time I was looking for a big bore hiking gun, but I never felt comfortable running that gun hard even though it should have been ok (lighter end of the "Skeeter Skelton load"). But, too low felt like a downgrade what with the 5-shot capacity.

Kahr K9 (early blued model): Great size and weight, but suddenly became a jammomatic. After several trips back to Kahr, they replaced the entire gun, which I sold unfired.

Virtually ever 1911 I've fired. Dunno why, they just don't live up to the hype for me.

AR15s: Same as 1911. I've tried a variety of configurations, but never really warm up to the platform. Reliability has been great, accuracy good enough, but just meh. I have one still, but won't be getting another.

Any larger mid-framed 357mag (S&W 686, Ruger GP100, etc): Good guns, but if I have that much weight, I want more power. If I have that much muzzleblast, I want bigger bullets. If I'm going to download them I already have a pile of 38 special revolvers.

TC Contender Pistol: Big and single shot. Didn't feel like a good choice for hunting in the Blue Ridge Mountains and I didn't have access to a long enough range to make it fun for target shooting.

Chris

User Tag List