Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointing Guns

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    How about a preemptive one?

For years I've had an unhealthy fascination with the Springfield M1A. I don't know why. I have no use for one other than to occasionally make money into smoke and noise. I seldom have access to a range where it would even be fun to use. But I've built it up in my head as being awesome and AMERICA and fuck yeah all rolled into one. I've never shot one, don't know anybody who has one, and have never even handled one for dry fire.

I'd be disappointed, right?
    Yep. And if you're thinking about a M1 or FAL, they'll be disappointing, too. In fairness, they're all fun for a while, like Okie John said about full auto. It's just that the fun doesn't last long.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    CZ Shadow 2.

It actually was a good gun, just not a really good choice for me. I’d heard so much about how awesome Shadows were that when I saw this Shadow 2 at a LGS I had to have it. After I think 3 range trips it went back to the same shop on consignment. I think the major problem was that it was just too damn heavy for my tastes. It kinda made a Beretta 92 seem like a lightweight. I never could really shoot it any better than a 92 either.
    I really didn’t like my Shadow 2 when I got it. Felt awkward in the hand, and gave me a blister with extended shooting. was close to selling it, when I thought I should at least shoot a match with it. Now I have two, and will likely get a third after this shot storm subsides.

Had I sold the gun, it might have made my list as well. Not implying you made the wrong decision, it is a heavy sucker for sure. Just sharing my experience. Heck, my first two G19s were disappointing to me., which is probably an unpopular opinion.

Back in ancient times, around 1972, I saw a used Dan Wesson revolver for sale at my gun store. It had the 3 interchangeable barrels - 2 1/2, 4, and 6 inches and two wooden grips, one for target and one for concealment. At an impressionable 21 years old, I thought it was the coolest thing ever.
    The gun was noted for its short double action and the salesman told me Dan Wesson had left S&W so he could build a better revolver. I was sold.
    What a piece of junk. The double action was short and horrible; the action would lock up at random and in retrospect it was the least fun gun I've ever shot. It finally locked up for good.
    I still have it packed up and haven't look at it since. I bought a Python, which still works fine, and thought it was the greatest thing ever. Compared to the low bar the Dan Wesson set, it was.
    The Dan Wesson left one "experience scar" - to this day, I would never buy a used gun, being afraid I'd be inheriting someone else's problem.
    Real guns have hammers.

Add FS2000 to my list. I bought the rifle while home on leave from Iraq in 2007, after drooling over one for about a year. I buy it, take it home, clean it, slap an Aimpoint on and hit the range. The ergos felt like I was holding a giant snapper and the trigger pull was something that belonged on a cheap toy, and not a $2000+ rifle. With tears in my eyes, I sold it a few years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    The ergos felt like I was holding a giant snapper...
    I'm just going to assume you are talking about the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I'm just going to assume you are talking about the fish.
    Yup-

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    ...The ergos felt like I was holding a giant snapper...
    Well... it *is* the "tactical tuna."
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Smaller-Than-Government 1911 Pistols

Every 1911 I have owned, that was smaller than a Government Model has disappointed, for fit/feeding/functioning reasons, except for two Les Baers, which disappointed because I could not shoot them nearly as well as an all-steel 1911, except from a rest, and did not actually feel any lighter while being carried.

The compact 1911 rogue’s gallery:

Detonics Combat Master

Detonics Mk VII

ODI Viking.

Stainless Commander

Officer ACP, Lightweight

1991-series Commander

Early-Nineties-era Lightweight Commander

Wilson Combat Sentinel
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Hmmm...

Remington 700 VLS in .260: I picked it up from a shooting buddy when I got interested in 6.5 caliber stuff. 6.5 CM hadn't yet built up a full head of steam and this seemed like "the answer". The twist rate was too slow, and couldn't stabilize the bullets I wanted to shoot. Shooting buddy let me off the hook on the trade.

Glock 43: I really, really wanted to like this gun. Unfortunately, the grip shape never really worked well with my hands. I had an interesting run-in with three sketchy dudes putting on masks in a convenience store parking lot (long before putting masks on was the polite thing to do). Knowing I only had 7 rounds in the gun didn't inspire confidence. I did manage to flip it at a profit though, so that was cool.

Kel-Tec: pretty much everything they've ever made. I always think, "Maybe this one will be different!" It isn't. They're neat concepts that suffer from poor execution. The KSG feels like racking a nerf gun, the Sub-2k slaps your cheek, my PF9 never worked right, and eventually barfed the extractor. I recently went shooting with some acquaintances that were pretty heavy into the Kel-Tec koolaid. Between the three of them, there were well over a half dozen KT carbines (including a stamped SBR). The Sub-2000s were slappy, but ran okay, the sights sucked. Both RDBs shit the bed to the point of requiring disassembly to resolve issues. The weird PLR/SU-16 stamped thing worked okay I guess, but was noticeably crappier than a decent AR.

Kimber Classic Customs and Stainless Gold Match, pre-internal-lock

In the late Nienties, which was supposed to be when the “good” Kimbers were made, I bought two Classic Customs, and a Stainless Gold Match. None would work with the their own magazines. All were quite accurate. I earned a doctorate in malfunction-clearing. All fed 185-grain match target wadcutters, once I discovered which magazines they liked, but I was/am not a bullseye shooter.

The Classic Customs would not reliably lock open, when empty, with my Wilson mags, or other mags on hand at the time. I installed Wilson Bulletproof Slide Stops, which enabled reliable locking open when empty, but feeding issues persisted. On the advice of firearms training unit instructors, I ordered Metalform 7-round mags, with metal followers. One Kimber Classic Custom eventually became reliable enough, to trust, on the street. The other seemed to insist upon a failure-to-feed about once in every 500 rounds of duty ammo, relegating it to training status.

The Stainless Gold Match was one of the most-accurate weapons I have ever owned. It quickly showed its first problem, however, when it starting failing to extract, as soon as it got warm, from firing. I pulled the extractor, and found it had a backward bend. Ah, the ol’ improper heat-treat issue; no mystery there. Onto the magazines; of course, its OEM mag was failure-prone. It hated the Metalform mags, that were the only thing my other Kimbers liked. I found that the Stainless Gold Match insisted upon Power Mags, which it fed reliably, but it also tried to feed the followers of these Power Mags, when locking-open when empty, so they would not always drop free. This might be OK at a bullseye match, but is no bueno for a street gun. This one did not stay with me very long.

During a patrol rifle certification course, in 2002, while doing transition drills, I discovered that the then-mandated Safariland 070 duty holster was preventing me from getting enough of my skinny, boney hand onto the grip safety. I found this to be disturbingly repeatable*. This ended my days of toting a Kimber duty pistol. I sold both Classic Customs. Sadly, I threw the baby out with the bath water, selling my perfectly good Colt Classic Government, as I tried to embrace .40 Glock-dom. .40 S&W was the mandated duty cartridge, by then, if/when I let my “grandfathered” duty pistols lapse. The G22 seemed to be the least of the evils, for which I could settle. (I switched to a SIG P229R, A couple of years later, when I discovered the OEM short-reach trigger, which enabled me to get enough finger properly-placed in the trigger face.)

I never liked Gen 3 G22 Glocks, but I knew that, going in, so do not list them as being disappointing. Gen4 and Gen5 Glocks are MUCH better, for me.

*My right hand was not aging well, and was losing mass.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List