Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is it important that spouses carry the same gun?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Disagree massively, based on my domestic experience with various females over the years.

As one example, my wife shoots sporting clays ~monthly with me. from one outing to another she does great loading the gun and pulling the trigger. Gun doesn't go bang? she stops. we don't use safeties, and if it's on and the gun doesn't go bang she doesn't really know what to do about it. Could she figure it out? maybe. Do I want to wait around getting stabbed/raped/beaten/whatever while she figures it out? fuck no. it only gets worse for her when it comes to malfunctions, etc. For me, if the safety has gotten bumped on and my gun doesn't go bang, I can almost always figure out the issue and disengage the safety before the birds disappear. Same thing for malfunctions. I've hit "true pairs" multiple times with a gun that wasn't cycling forcing me to manually operate the charging handle. I hand her my 870 and ask her to even so much as get a shell into the chamber, and she eventually figures it out but isn't familiar with cycling the action between shots, the sighting system, or again dealing with the safety it it should be engaged.

In my prior experience, going from a 1911 to a Glock, or even from a Glock to a revolver (which, to your point, really isn't a different means to firing, it's just "pull trigger") have proven to be either completely prohibitive or simply intimidating to various partners.

see the motherfucker, shoot the motherfucker is great and all, but they have to have some sense of how the gun is stored, and how to make it go "bang" for that to happen.
    I see what you mean.

My wife isn't incredibly gun savy, but she knows how they operate. She wouldn't be comfortable with clearing a double feed, but to point and shoot she does fine.

I cede the point of familiarity. Perhaps I'm assuming other folks carry more point and shoot style guns, and that's a mistake on my part. My wife and I have talked about what to do if she is uncomfortable with a gun... set it on the ground. If she was to use my 92 and wasnt sure about decocking, I think she would set it on the ground and step back.

I still think needing to carry the same gun is a bit far down the rabbit hole. The odds of needing interchangability seem low to me. The odds of needing familiarity are much higher - just from a non critical incident, having a gun in the house stand point.

Because my wife doesn't carry, I feel like I'm dragging this off topic. I'll keep reading with interest, but likely have little else to offer.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I see what you mean.

My wife isn't incredibly gun savy, but she knows how they operate. She wouldn't be comfortable with clearing a double feed, but to point and shoot she does fine.

I cede the point of familiarity. Perhaps I'm assuming other folks carry more point and shoot style guns, and that's a mistake on my part. My wife and I have talked about what to do if she is uncomfortable with a gun... set it on the ground. If she was to use my 92 and wasnt sure about decocking, I think she would set it on the ground and step back.

I still think needing to carry the same gun is a bit far down the rabbit hole. The odds of needing interchangability seem low to me. The odds of needing familiarity are much higher - just from a non critical incident, having a gun in the house stand point.

Because my wife doesn't carry, I feel like I'm dragging this off topic. I'll keep reading with interest, but likely have little else to offer.

-Cory
    I think there's an important tangent, or gradient. Hell, I rarely carry, let alone my wife. But we do have guns, we have them around the house locked up, and I (like you) trend as much as possible towards point-n-shoot. The various lockboxes all have Glock 19s in them, chamber empty. I *think* she knows enough to pull the gun out, rack the slide, and then she can shoot. while the big safe has a Glock 19, it also has ARs, shotguns that may or may not be in various stages of loaded (one of the things I dislike about them for HD BTW), a .38 revolver, an NAA .22mag revolver... christ even the kid's bb gun is in there. It's bad enough as it is without me adding in the flavor-of-the-day. That, I think, is still a relevant topic and something that anyone that is both accumulating MOAR and considering self defense should take into account. I've *tried* to instruct my wife that if she needs a gun, get to one of the lockboxes, stay out of the big safe, rack, point, bang.

I would agree that "needeing" to carry the same gun probably doesn't matter, but I know that if we both carried (which I'd probably be a proponent of in a different zip code) it would make my wife feel better about the whole thing, and assuming she was able to make a Glock 43, 48.. what's the single-stack 9mm one(s)??? work for her I'd happily "downgrade" to it if us carrying the same gun was at all a consideration for her for if it meant she was more likely to carry.

Site Supporter
    This topic used to concern me, back when I was married.

When my ex joined an agency that issued the P2000 LEM, I switched my EDC from a G19 to a P2000. My ex wasn't really a gun person, and didn't routinely carry off duty. However, I considered it possible that she might need to use my gun in an emergency. I can shoot either platform well enough, so why not carry the one she's familiar with? If I hadn't done that, I'd have at least ensured that I picked something where the manual of arms wasn't radically different.

My other concern was segregating *incompatible* items, like her .40 cal duty magazines with 9mm ones...or anything that could conceivably end up in her duty rig by accident other than what was supposed to be there. I'd advise against spouses carrying things that could be easily mixed up that don't work together. Probably not in the P-F crowd, but I'd bet somebody somewhere is carrying a G23 with a partner that has a G19. IMHO, that's just asking for a mistake to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Which series of levers does she have/use?

Standard batwing, ultra slim/low profile like on the concealed carry, the new G style levers, or the 92 style levers?
    She has tried to use both the stock and the stealth levers.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
    She has tried to use both the stock and the stealth levers.

Mike
    Mike,

Would she and you be willing to try either/both the 92 style or newer G style levers?
    I have the 92 style in G (no spring or bearing), that I removed when the G style came out. I also have a spare G style if interested; PM me your address.

Important, no, but a plus as I do all of the maintenance and cleaning for all of our guns. My wife and I have shared carry platforms in the past, which makes maintenance simpler. When I started exploring the P30 LEM after the late 3rd generation Glock pistols started extracting strangely, my wife tried it during one of our range sessions and latched onto it as a replacement for her S&W M65. She decided the P30 was the platform for her to make the jump from revolver to semi-auto and started training with it. I followed her lead. It made things simpler in that we could share equipment during range sessions and we each were intimately familiar with the other's carry guns.

She still uses the P30 (she now has four of them, (dedicated carry, dedicated HD, dedicated training, and a vetted spare) while I have gone back to Glock 17/19/26 since the advent of the SCD. She tried Glock, notably the 43 which does not work for me, but prefers the P30. So now I am back to maintaining two platforms. Not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Mike,

Would she and you be willing to try either/both the 92 style or newer G style levers?
    I have the 92 style in G (no spring or bearing), that I removed when the G style came out. I also have a spare G style if interested; PM me your address.
    Thank you for the offer and if it was just a size issue I’d jump all over it but she also forgets to use it all the time. Seeing as she doesn’t shoot nearly enough and I haven’t be able to make dry fire fun enough for her to be interested in it I feel the decocker is a liability.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About as important as having the same underwear #notjudging

Makes sense for you both to choose the ideal gun for yourself.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

lol no.

if I'm ever in a situation where me and my wife are in a shootout and I need her to supply me with a reload I guess I'll just take the L on that one. I don't want to be stuck carrying an LCP or whatever it is that fits in her flashbang holster either.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    About as important as having the same underwear #notjudging

Makes sense for you both to choose the ideal gun for yourself.
    So your calling Bull (Durham)

User Tag List