Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it important that spouses carry the same gun?

I figured I was being neurotic about this train of though. She liked the G19 but I wanted to explore the DA/SA and LEM as a better street trigger. I’m really hoping that she and I will fall in love P30 and then its done and dusted but if not I guess I’ll get her a Tiffney blue Kimber. Yeah right.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
    While I have been looking for my ideal EDC a thought crossed my mind and I’m sure I heard or read it somewhere that pistol compatibility between wifey and I is not only a plus but almost mandatory.
    I worked for a department that had 4-5 brands of 9mm pistols on the approved list. When you factor in the single/double stack or compact/full size, there had to be at least ten different types of pistol magazines in use. Not only did no one die from incompatible mags, I don't recall an incident in which anyone even needed ammo from another officer.

What I'd like my wife to do more than anything is carry any type of gun 100% of the time.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

"have" > "which"

That said, if I can have commonality I'll take it whenever possible.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    I don’t want to get caught in the zombie apocalypse or food court unprepared.
    It had been far to long since I last saw a food court reference. Good on you, man.

My wife doesn't carry. If she did, I wouldn't expect her to use the same pistol that I do. I have larger hands, more strength, a better understanding of grip, and sight picture preferences. She doesn't have that stuff. I wouldn't try to pigeon hole her into what works best for me. And I certainly wouldn't waste my 6' 200lb ability to conceal carrying a pistol that limited my potential because it was right for her.

When is the last time a reload was performed in a civilian shooting? When is the last time someone had to give there carry gun to a spouse to finish a shooting? I know one is incredibly rare. The other I have no idea. However, being a shooter or not... we often forget that this stuff isn't rocket science. If it's a "I need a gun she is familiar with and can operate in case she needs my gun" thing it's a bit silly. I think most anyone can pick up a pistol and mash on a trigger toward a target at 5ish yards and get the hit. Most of the time the first hit wins. In my mind, familiarity with the gun isn't likely to be a dramatic influence over that outcome.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If we needed wives to carry the same gun we do, we would need them to spend hours a day reading PF, so they would be aware what gun is hot, and what gun has cooled, and allow enough lead time for them to get them the right holsters and support gear for the gun of the week.
    I believe a number of unintended consequences could arise from that course of action...
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    When is the last time someone had to give there carry gun to a spouse to finish a shooting? If it's a "I need a gun she is familiar with and can operate in case she needs my gun" thing it's a bit silly. I think most anyone can pick up a pistol and mash on a trigger toward a target at 5ish yards and get the hit. Most of the time the first hit wins. In my mind, familiarity with the gun isn't likely to be a dramatic influence over that outcome.
    Disagree massively, based on my domestic experience with various females over the years.

As one example, my wife shoots sporting clays ~monthly with me. from one outing to another she does great loading the gun and pulling the trigger. Gun doesn't go bang? she stops. we don't use safeties, and if it's on and the gun doesn't go bang she doesn't really know what to do about it. Could she figure it out? maybe. Do I want to wait around getting stabbed/raped/beaten/whatever while she figures it out? fuck no. it only gets worse for her when it comes to malfunctions, etc. For me, if the safety has gotten bumped on and my gun doesn't go bang, I can almost always figure out the issue and disengage the safety before the birds disappear. Same thing for malfunctions. I've hit "true pairs" multiple times with a gun that wasn't cycling forcing me to manually operate the charging handle. I hand her my 870 and ask her to even so much as get a shell into the chamber, and she eventually figures it out but isn't familiar with cycling the action between shots, the sighting system, or again dealing with the safety it it should be engaged.

In my prior experience, going from a 1911 to a Glock, or even from a Glock to a revolver (which, to your point, really isn't a different means to firing, it's just "pull trigger") have proven to be either completely prohibitive or simply intimidating to various partners.

see the motherfucker, shoot the motherfucker is great and all, but they have to have some sense of how the gun is stored, and how to make it go "bang" for that to happen.

To be clear hear I’m not talking about giving up a full size gun because wifey can’t shoot it or getting away from a DA/SA ecards she can’t pull the trigger. Her issue is working the decocker on a PX4. Not being able to reliably operate the decocker is a big deal to me. When my P30 finally comes in from the distributor I’ll she how she gets on with it. If we end up loving it great, if not I’ll decide if I like it more than the PX4 and she can get what ever she wants. Even if she likes a Glock better than anything else.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. Way above the curve.

My wife had been carrying a 229 (M11 A-1), but had to modify how she gripped the gun, to achieve proper placement of her finger on the trigger, due to her hand size, versus the size of the grip. We searched for an alternative, and she stumbled upon a P30sk, LEM, and although neither of us had ever fired an LEM gun, she picked it over the DA version of the SK. It was HER gun, so if she was happy, so was I. We ordered a new one on the spot.
    The more I shot it, I really liked it, and the LEM was no big deal, as both of us had been shooting TDA Sig’s. After a few months, I decided to buy a P30 for myself. We went back and bought the used SK that she originally dry fired, as a trainer, so now we have 2-SK’s and my P30 (my carry gun), so we just got lucky, and have commonality in our carry platforms, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
    Her issue is working the decocker on a PX4. Not being able to reliably operate the decocker is a big deal to me.
    Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which series of levers does she have/use?

Standard batwing, ultra slim/low profile like on the concealed carry, the new G style levers, or the 92 style levers?

User Tag List