Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it important that spouses carry the same gun?

We do not always carry matching weapons, but I figure it is a plus if my primary or secondary weapon is something that is familiar to her. Our best common weapon is the S&W mid-sized revolver. Next best is the S&W J-Frame, a better fit for her, than for me. She is less familiar with my Ruger revolvers, but can make them work.

Our common defensive shotgun platform is the Remington 870. We have a cumulative total of three, and I have been eyeing a pre-owned Wingmaster, at an LGS. (I consider the Benelli M2 to be my go-to long gun, but she probably could not run it.)

We each had Kahr K9 pistols, in the Nineties. This worked until my sole supplier of 9BPLE ammo changed ammunition brands. Her K9 fed/feeds anything, whereas mine did not. I sold or traded my K9, somewhere along the way, since then.

She bought herself a reliable Walther PP .380, which she loves. I have bought, and then sold, several PPK and PPK/s pistols, also .380, in an attempt to make that platform work for me.

She does not like Glocks, but when I want to carry a Glock, as primary, that is what I carry.

We each have lever-action rifles, and each of us could run the other’s, except that my box-mag-fed .308 BLRs might confuse her, at reloading time.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I don’t think it’s important 90% of the time for spouses to carry the same gun daily. However, when I take a family road trip, or go camping with a group of buddies and their families etc. I start to factor mag and ammo compatibility in. It’s probably just the Timmy in me, but the idea that most of my friends aren’t gun nerds like me and just toss a glock in the camper influences my choices a lot. I don’t want to get caught in the zombie apocalypse or food court unprepared.

As other have said, a wife’s ability to memorize a set of controls or even physically operate them is a factor. I love to dabble in other guns but glock just make the most logistical sense for me in so many circumstances.

Based on your stated situation, I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

I think your gun choice actually matters less if both/all parties are armed and competent with their own guns.

For example: a mature minor child can use a Glock 19 quite competently, but they can't run a long trigger reach DA/SA gun very well (CZ P-07). To me, it's more imperative to carry the Glock over the CZ in this case.

As long as 'your people' can physically run your stuff, it's probably not too big a deal. It's probably even less of a deal if they carry their own stuff to begin with. Downgrading one's individual capabilities for a logistical compatibility may be net detrimental, and trying to get a less enthusiastic spouse into Pistol-Forum-esque 'tactical burro' mode may be a loosing battle too.

If it isn't too much of a difference either way - seems like a real good idea then.

If we needed wives to carry the same gun we do, we would need them to spend hours a day reading PF, so they would be aware what gun is hot, and what gun has cooled, and allow enough lead time for them to get them the right holsters and support gear for the gun of the week.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
    While I have been looking for my ideal EDC a thought crossed my mind and I’m sure I heard or read it somewhere that pistol compatibility between wifey and I is not only a plus but almost mandatory.

I have been shooting PX4’s for a bit now but my wife can’t manage the decocker and doesn’t train enough as of now to remember to decock anyway. So I am waiting for a P30 LEM to arrive at my LGS (thanks covid). This will allow me to maintain the benefits of the DA pull and not require decocking before reholstering.

This isn’t about specific hardware but the though process of keeping guns the same or at least the same family of pistol for mag compatibility and familiar manual of arms or any other advantage there may be.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, there is a much smaller range of weapons that my wife is comfortable with and that she would carry. If commonality was a top priority, I would be switching to one of them, as opposed to attempting to force her up to speed on my preferred platform because frankly, that is not going to happen.

Since I think a whole host of issues like capacity and caliber are far more important, I am not going to compromise to that extent. It makes for a great discussion point for the internet, but I think for many of us, the real world result is a pair of matched guns - one that you carry all the time, and one that spouse leaves in the safe at home. (knowing of course, that there are probably a fair number of spouses out there who can probably out shoot me easily)

What I do think is important, and it looks like you have already addressed the issue, is ensuring your spouse understands how to run the manual of arms on whatever it is that you carry.

Site Supporter
    No way.

Stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

If she is willing and able to carry and is proficient you are light years ahead.

Take the win.

The enemy of an excellent situation if is the inappropriate pursuit of absolute perfection.

The glass is already 98% full is she is carrying when out with you.

I could go on and on...

As a matter of fact... you should buy her something nice and not gun related off of Amazon for weekend delivery in thanks that she carries etc.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    No way.

Stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

If she is willing and able to carry and is proficient you are light years ahead.

Take the win.

The enemy of an excellent situation if is the inappropriate pursuit of absolute perfection.

The glass is already 98% full is she is carrying when out with you.

I could go on and on...

As a matter of fact... you should buy her something nice and not gun related off of Amazon for weekend delivery in thanks that she carries etc.
    Amen. I have been unsuccessful in getting my bride to even go to the range with me, much less train and carry....

If I cared to carry every day, and if she did too, I suppose it’d be nice if the guns shared mags. But if I cared for her to carry I’d be more concerned that it was a gun she was comfortable with. I’d likely try to steer her towards a single-stack Glock and then I’d just probably carry the same damn thing.

More important to me would be/is her familiarity with my gun(s) to be able to use them if she has to. One ore reason I’m glad I don’t belong to the gun-of-the-moment club. It’s Glocks, and then Glocks, and then a little .32 that acts like a Glock and then a .38 that doesn’t look or act anything like a Glock until you pull the trigger and then it’s close enough that it kind of is a Glock... I don’t need her looking for safeties and decocking levers and loaded indicators and mag safeties and, and and... if she’s the one with the gun it may very well mean that it’s me she’s saving, and I’d prefer her to be able to get to shooting as quickly as possible.

She’s asked about keeping a shotgun more readily accessible at home, something other than my 870. She’d like it to be, or be just like, her beretta a300 Outlander that she shoots for sporting clays. I’ve been trying to figure out how to convince her that a $1200 beretta 1301 is the closest thing, but even I’d rather spend that money on a dewalt planer or a Band saw, and either of those are probably just as likely to actually save our lives (or injure one of us, for that matter). I could probably sell the 870 and get the 1301 (she cares more about 1:1 swapping of stuff than 1:1 dollars) but I like the 870.

The spouse's willingness to carry it, plus their competency & capability with it, is all far more important than commonality, compatibility of mags etc. I look at it as I do with an L/E org mandated everyone carry the same blaster - I cannot and will not support it if it in any way impacts competency & capability. In my digging, though there may well be more, I've only found two events were cops were confirmed to share magazines.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 05-13-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Amen. I have been unsuccessful in getting my bride to even go to the range with me, much less train and carry....

Hey, it could be worse, but don't ask me how I know.

User Tag List