Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is it important that spouses carry the same gun?

My wife remains blissfully unaware that there are dangerous people in this world, despite the fact that I share stories like Tom Given's most recent post. If she saw the light and decided to carry, I wouldn't care what it was. Pink gripped tiger striped SW9 would fill me with great joy. Thankfully, she is now used to me carrying weapons everywhere after 10 years, so that's a big win.

just picked up the P30 yesterday, wifey likes the triggers but cannot pull through the uncocked trigger. I suppose that doesn’t really matter but it is a thing I guess.

Mike

Site Supporter
    I have thought about this issue for many years. I think using identical carry guns would be ideal but it often means a compromise. Replace the “carry” gun with “self defense” gun and I would be very happy if every one in my family could run a Glock 19, a S&W k frame and J frame and an AR15. One of the reasons I often carry a 642 as a backup gun is so I can arm my wife if I have to. She has no desire to carry. Below is how I came to this conclusion. Personally I don’t view me carrying a Glock 9mm as a compromise but a choice that keeps the rest of the family in mind. I picked Glock for the same reasons police departments do. Simple, reliable, easy to shoot. Different frame sizes for carry. Lots of spare parts available. Huge choice of holsters, easy to work on and finally cost. Glocks And spare mags are not expensive. Look into the blue label program. best of all they have been around for decades and I have been able to buy several of them. (When the LGS has a NIB used Glock 19 for $300 bucks you buy it whether you need it or not. Their lay away policy has let me buy too many guns)
    The first female I tried to share my shooting with was 505. Average height, weight and hand size. I thought my Glock 19 would be perfect. She shot it ok but struggled to rack the slide. She tried my colt detective special but she didn’t like the muzzle flip. She told me she wanted “the modern connivence of a semi auto.” I rented her an HK P7. The clouds parts, angels sang and could run a P7 and was surprisingly (and scary) accurate with it. This was in 1994 and P7s were available new. When she found out it a P7 was $1000 she told me that was crazy. Next was my first wife RIP. She was 510 and thick and could run any gun she tried. She didn’t really get into it but she came to the range with me a few times a year. She didn’t like glocks because they were plastic. Didn’t want to learn to run an 870 but she definitely wanted access to a loaded gun at home. She had no interest in carrying a gun. I was a police Officer issued a 1911 working all three shifts and we had a small kids. All she wanted was to know which one was loaded for her and she wanted it to be pretty. We had a walk in closet in the bedroom with an old army surplus metal wall locker. It had a padlock on it and I kept my uniforms, duty rig and body armor it it. It also had my home 870 for me, a Stevens 311 double for her and the home pistol was a stainless colt 1911 Government that John Yanek worked over. I bought her a Nickle browning hipower because she thought it was pretty but she preferred 45 over a 9. (Her father kept a S&W 57 .41 mag for home defense) my current wife does not like recoil and prefers lighter handguns so I have a 4” S&W model 15 for her. Loaded with 148 gr wadcutters it is like a .22LR.

Site Supporter
    Sorry for the rant. Too much Bombproof coffee

User Tag List