Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it important that spouses carry the same gun?

Is it important that spouses carry the same gun?

While I have been looking for my ideal EDC a thought crossed my mind and I’m sure I heard or read it somewhere that pistol compatibility between wifey and I is not only a plus but almost mandatory.

I have been shooting PX4’s for a bit now but my wife can’t manage the decocker and doesn’t train enough as of now to remember to decock anyway. So I am waiting for a P30 LEM to arrive at my LGS (thanks covid). This will allow me to maintain the benefits of the DA pull and not require decocking before reholstering.

This isn’t about specific hardware but the though process of keeping guns the same or at least the same family of pistol for mag compatibility and familiar manual of arms or any other advantage there may be.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think so. So long as they carry and are proficient.
    #RESIST

My wife's CCW only comes into play if I decide to drink while we are out.

(Been a while....)

On the question, IMO, no.

ETA: if you think it is important, realize that probably means your SO is picking your guns. Unless you think forcing your decision is going to work out well. I'm not going there with Mrs. Anders.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 05-13-2020 at 09:05 AM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I'd call it a "nice to have." It's very convenient that my wife's home defense gun is a PPQ M1, which shares holsters, magazines, sights, and some other parts with my P99s. But they have a completely different trigger system because A) she has small hands that aren't friendly to DA pulls and decocking controls and B) I'm not personally interested in carrying a striker fired gun without something tactile that monitors trigger movement, and I prefer DA/SA (I actually picked the P99 because she was already set on a PPQ and I'd been considering DA/SA, and just went with a gun that had commonality with hers). Then, while she doesn't actively carry (yet), her carry gun is a Sig P238 that completely breaks away from the pack with a button mag release and cocked and locked SA trigger system. In the rare event she does carry, she's firmly set at this point on either carrying with an empty chamber or with a manual safety, and I suggested that between those two she's better off with the latter. If more interest in carrying leads to more familiarity and skill, I'd hope to see her get comfortable with a PPS M1, but the point is that each person having a gun that works as well as possible for them and their current skill level is more important than commonality, as convenient as it is when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah! Much more important than sharing mags in a sustained firefight over that last package of TP.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I’d call it a pleasant bonus. I can see the wisdom there. But not very realistic unless your SO chooses a compatible weapon of their own volition.

Unfortunately my wife doesn’t carry. If she decided to I wouldn’t start off with, “Good, you can pick between a 26, 19 or 17.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bad idea, but very far down on the list of real world priorities.

my wife can’t manage the decocker and doesn’t train enough as of now to remember to decock anyway.
    This is probably a much greater concern than weapon commonality.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

No.

My wife is 5 foot 2 and tiny hands. She shoots her P365 pretty well. I can barely get a firing grip on that little gun.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    +1

Now, I would still like them to know how to handle my carry gun. (what happens if I go down, whose gun is accessible in emergency, etc) I have a retired LEO in the family, whose spouse doesn't even want to know how to shoot a gun. Felon out looking for revenge and it would have been on the college age kid, who does know.
    On the plus side, use the same magazines, on the down side, need more magazines or will wear them out quicker in training.

Site Supporter
    Not even a little bit. I am 5’10”, about 200#, large hands and lift weights. She is 5’4”, tiny hands, ballerina. I put bigger grips on my Beretta so it would work better for me. She can only shoot it if she cocks the hammer first.

Her perfect size/weight/recoil tolerance centerfire pistol is a G42. G43 recoils too much, and double stacks are too big. I bought her one and then got a second one after I figured out it’s a great gym/workout gun and I needed to stop stealing hers for that. it’s tiny and I thought it would suck - but my long fingers wrap around this particular size grip just right to make it work well. This is serendipity.

I don’t carry one very much, but it fills a niche and if I’m rocking one of the 42s as a second gun, I know I’ve got one on me that she can run. She’s not very interested in shooting a lot. It’s a good year if she goes with more than 2x, and rarely carries.

User Tag List