Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Army bans the PMAG. good job, Army

Army bans the PMAG. good job, Army

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

I'll attempt to summarize the speculation about the reasons for this that are on TOS:

Speculative reasons:

1. Prevent Private Joe Snuffy from buying the cheapest most horrible polymer mag substitute because he heard that polymer mags are the best.

2. PMAGs crack at temperatures that will never be reached except when we decide to fight the future soviet union over some space colonies.

3. They just don't fit the pouches man!

4. Can't have any competition against the new brown follower enhanced aluminum mags.

5. Polymer mags don't sound like broken dancing robots when empty, and that's just no fun.

Did I catch everything? Feel free to add to the list.

Hmmm... I wonder if any of the TACOM staff are descendants of the same folks who said the original M16 didn't need a chromed chamber, or who decided that the ammunition should use ball powder instead of stick powder, and then decided that issuing cleaning kits and instruction were also unnecessary.

Really liked this part:

“The magazines still get bent at the opening and are still prone to getting crushed in the middle. I haven’t seen any issues like this with the PMAG due to the polymer casing. I have seen an empty PMAG get run over by a MaxPro [vehicle] and operated flawlessly later that week when we tested it at the range. Last time I saw this happen to a standard issue magazine, it was scrap metal after that.”

Kinda says it all.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Come on guys... EVERYBODY knows that plastic is weaker than metal. I mean if it was that good, why wouldn't they use it in modern firearms?
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

Some folks with more experience than my light duty PMAG exposure weigh in here. Not all of them think this is a bad idea.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=104826
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I would say the makers of government contract aluminum mags have figured out who to bribe. Time to catch up and pay up, lancer and magpul.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Jack had probably the best post of everyone in that thread. If Jack says Pmags are GTG, that's honestly all I need to hear.

That being said, I have a little over 7000 rounds strictly through Pmags, and I've yet to experience a mag induced failure, or get a dud mag. I usually run them for a couple months and then chuck them. If you like to run your magazines up front and you hit the dirt decently hard, I'd go for Pmags as they're impervious to denting.

If your stuff doesn't get crunched too often and you're good about throwing out worn out magazines, I don't see how you'd really notice much difference one way or the other.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

Meh. I have USGI (Okay) magazines and I have PMAGs. I've run PMAGs in carbine courses and have never had a magazine related problem. I've yet to see reports of PMAGs performing poorly in the field (at least the black ones). Most of the discussion elsewhere is that the updated aluminum USGI mags are perfectly serviceable and available at a lower cost to the unit, not that PMAGs spontaneously explode in the midst of firefights.

Unfortunately, I think in some circles all polymer magazines (regardless of manufacturer) are being referred to as 'PMAGs' and Magpul's product is being unfairly maligned. Still, the PMAG isn't the answer to everything. With the introduction of the M27 IAR, I can also see the USMC not wanting to have a variety of magazines at the unit level.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I smell a big old rat.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I've heard rumors about durability issues with pmags but I've never seen them or solid evidence of such personally.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List