Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RFI: Black Bear meat

Site Supporter
    I have a honey hole a couple hours away. When I was deer hunting that unit I checked a tank that had more bear sign than I had ever seen in one place. I keep telling myself that I want to go back with an OTC bear tag and my wife's grand dad's 03A3 running 150 grain TTSXs. I have always wanted a bear skin rug and one of my coworkers recently quit to hang out his taxedermy shingle.

All that said, given storage issues around here I would make lots and lots of sausage. Breakfast sausage, bangers, Italian seasoned sausage, chorizo, even some burger. I have a butchershop nearby that will practically give me suet, or pork bellies to get the fat content where I want it. Maple blueberry breakfast sausage would be high on my kids' list. I might even try a fermented sausage like salame or pepperoni.

I would love to bag one late season, really fatty, and store a hind leg or two in a tub of salt in an unheated garage to make ham, with or without smoke, slice thin and wrap around pieces of melon, or chop and crisp up in a hot pan to add to salads, or sliced and eaten on crackers or homemade bread with cheese and mustard. Homemade pizza.

Since bear is one of the few OTC tags to be had in this state, and I am taking a bigger freezer off a buddy's hands this week, I may need to start planning a trip....

pat

It wasn't bad.

(Not my skull)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List