Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Black Bear meat

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I promise, you don’t need an AR to hunt a bear. Your .44 mag lever gun will kill one dead. If you need more range, the .243 won’t just give it an owie.
    Oh, he wants me to have an AR, because, ‘Merica; the 2A. Absolutely a separate issue from the bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Oh, he wants me to have an AR, because, ‘Merica; the 2A. Absolutely a separate issue from the bears.
    Wait, you don't own one?

This is to be rectified, because the very fact of an art guy buying an AR will give Maria Cantwell inexplicable gas and bloating.

Supposedly good-to-go Sabre Defense 6.5 Grendel uppers http://www.redxarms.com/category-s/1892.htm
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Great input so far everyone, I appreciate it. I’ve got a cop buddy who is willing to take me out and show me the ropes, provided that I #1, am willing to get up crazy early on a Saturday, and #2, will finally Agree to buy an AR like he’s been telling me to do for years (I don’t actually own an AR, but I do have a lot of quality friends).
    Forget it. Bear meat isn't on your diet plan and isn't on mine either. Bears eat garbage and all kinds of shit. It depends on where you shoot them. I once saw a black bear going thru a garbage can at Cape Disappointment State park in WA. They like garbage.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-13-2020 at 10:36 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Well, it looks like I’ve been roped into helping my buddy set up his hunt. He’s already loaned me a ruck, with instructions to put a full ammo can in the radio pocket, and use it on my walks every other day. Did y’all know that a 50cal ammo can full of 115 9mm ball weighs 55lbs? I didn’t, either...

Well, it looks like I’ve been roped into helping my buddy set up his hunt. He’s already loaned me a ruck, with instructions to put a full ammo can in the radio pocket, and use it on my walks every other day. Did y’all know that a 50cal ammo can full of 115 9mm ball weighs 55lbs? I didn’t, either...
    Well shit. The bear hunters I knew had a rig with their dogs on a platform behind the cab of a 4WD PU. They drove the logging roads and when a dog got wind of a bear they put them on the ground to track and tree the bear. Bunch of damn tar heel red necks. Absolutely no sport in that.

The bear will smell you about 10 minutes before you see the bear, if they stick around.. I hope your buddies hunting plan has a dog or two in it.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-13-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Forget it. Bear meat isn't on your diet plan and isn't on mine either. Bears eat garbage and all kinds of shit. It depends on where you shoot them. I once saw a black bear going thru a garbage can at Cape Disappointment State park in WA. They like garbage.
    Plenty of bears out there that have NEVER seen a trash can. Many live their entire lives eating perfectly natural food.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Well shit. The bear hunters I knew had a rig with their dogs on a platform behind the cab of a 4WD PU. They drove the logging roads and when a dog got wind of a bear they put them on the ground to track and tree the bear. Bunch of damn tar heel red necks. Absolutely no sport in that.

The bear will smell you about 10 minutes before you see the bear, if they stick around.. I hope your buddies hunting plan has a dog or two in it.
    I've run bears, hogs, and cougars with dogs. It's every bit as sporting as many other forms of hunting. It's not like you can drive that 4WD to the bears that are treed. On bears we only treed half the bears we got onto. Of those two bears we managed to tree, I shot a boar because I could readily identify he was a boar because he was in a tree. The second bear was a sow with no cubs. We let her go. We easily put 5 miles on our boots on each of those bears. I'm still 0 for 3 on cougars. Maybe my buddy just needs better dogs.

I've shot a black bear in Idaho with the same spot and stalk methods that I used in Alaska. Knowing what they eat in certain time of year, being patient, and having a good set of binoculars are all keys to success. I bet that Sidheshooter will be hunting in similar terrain that I was in Idaho. The open high country of Eastern Washington/Northern Idaho makes spot and stalk bear hunting totally possible.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post

I've shot a black bear in Idaho with the same spot and stalk methods that I used in Alaska. Knowing what they eat in certain time of year, being patient, and having a good set of binoculars are all keys to success. I bet that Sidheshooter will be hunting in similar terrain that I was in Idaho. The open high country of Eastern Washington/Northern Idaho makes spot and stalk bear hunting totally possible.
    You are spot on.

You are spot on.
    That country is the only place I like as much as Alaska. Once you get in the pine forests, you can move twice as fast as you can in the forest in Alaska. It's a damn jungle in most places up here.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Plenty of bears out there that have NEVER seen a trash can. Many live their entire lives eating perfectly natural food.

I've run bears, hogs, and cougars with dogs. It's every bit as sporting as many other forms of hunting. It's not like you can drive that 4WD to the bears that are treed. On bears we only treed half the bears we got onto. Of those two bears we managed to tree, I shot a boar because I could readily identify he was a boar because he was in a tree. The second bear was a sow with no cubs. We let her go. We easily put 5 miles on our boots on each of those bears. I'm still 0 for 3 on cougars. Maybe my buddy just needs better dogs.

Bears here in western WA get hunted a lot. I would suspect the same is true in eastern WA and ID but don't know that for a fact. I've seen bears hiking in the Olympics that didn't run but that was after we were 3 days in. Not many people and no roads. Saw one in the Okanogan hunting grouse also. Just a blur moving away at warp speed. Hunting bear with dogs was outlawed in WA in 1996 unless by permit for destructive activity.

If SS can get hooked up with a good hunter he might have a decent chance to put a bear skin on his floor. Now that would impress the hell out of almost anybody.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-14-2020 at 01:24 AM.

Did y’all know that a 50cal ammo can full of 115 9mm ball weighs 55lbs? I didn’t, either...
    Total aside from bears, that's a lot of weight for most to start out with. I might suggest lightening it and working up to that weight. Wear good shoes, watch your foot placement. Get your ruck adjusted right. YMMV, but I've seen a lot of young and very fit guys come out of service with jacked up lower back and back joints as a result of heavy packs and issue boots, with not enough care to detail. Done right though, great workout: my ILBE has about 30% of my weight in sand and plates in it for trail hiking and hill sprints, and is basically the only kind of cardio I can stand.

User Tag List