Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI Revolver Service Ammunition

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    I believe Outpost75 is the author of the article that was just posted.
    He is and it's a classic.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Scal View Post
    I believe Outpost75 is the author of the article that was just posted.
    heh, his reaction I'm sure:

technical thread: It's a shame that the tools/coppers/etc to measure firing pin 'strength' don't have a modern, available analogue. I've heard some people use a trigger pull gauge on the hammer with varying thresholds. I don't recall them making a distinction between the hammer nose guns and the post-97 frame-mounted firing pins, though.

I've had a few of the post-97 S&Ws that weren't reliable with any of the various Wolff Type 1 "factory equivalent" springs. They went through several iterations of that spring in the early 2000s IIRC trying to get them to work with the frame-mounted firing pin as well as they did the hammer nose. I don't think they ever succeeded. Frank Glenn did one of mine and put what was I guess his standard set screw for the strain screw so it could be adjusted and not back out. The Type 1 spring with a longer square butt strain screw adjusted to taste did work.

It would be nice to have a rough go/nogo gauge before burning up a hundred CCI 550s to test a drop-in spring, though.

Love that article by Harris. Have read it several times and always glean a kernel of truth from it.

As I worked in LE through the years that Bruce mentioned and carried and used SD type ammo in my 357s I was always interested in what the FBI was researching and using. I carried four basic calibers in my 33 years in city, county and state LE. 38/357, 44 Mag Remington Mid Range LFN 240, (county work), 45 ACP and the state imposed Glock 23 in 40S&W.

My 357 carry was always the Winchester Silvertip 145 grain that load served me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    Love that article by Harris. Have read it several times and always glean a kernel of truth from it.

As I worked in LE through the years that Bruce mentioned and carried and used SD type ammo in my 357s I was always interested in what the FBI was researching and using. I carried four basic calibers in my 33 years in city, county and state LE. 38/357, 44 Mag Remington Mid Range LFN 240, (county work), 45 ACP and the state imposed Glock 23 in 40S&W.

My 357 carry was always the Winchester Silvertip 145 grain that load served me well.
    I wish I could say that current production Winchester Silvertip 145 gr .357 is still is good now, but unfortunately I can't. So I've switched to current production 158 gr Federal HydraShok for carry in my Ruger GP100. My sample size of precisely one, YMMV...

Best, Jon

Edit: Nevermind I realized I misread.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I wish I could say that current production Winchester Silvertip 145 gr .357 is still is good now, but unfortunately I can't. So I've switched to current production 158 gr Federal HydraShok for carry in my Ruger GP100. My sample size of precisely one, YMMV...

Best, Jon
    What did you discover with the load that leads you to say that, Jon?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    What did you discover with the load that leads you to say that, Jon?
    Multiple cartridges that did not fire in my GP100 that had recently been back to Ruger, with the Ruger mainspring. Concurrently, zero issues with Federal 158 gr HydraShok. When I sent the remaining lot of the Winchester ammmunition to Winchester for examination, they said that it satisfactorily tested and gave me a refund. The manager I dealt with was friendly and professional, but nothing came out of them providing me with a limited quantity for me to further test and vet in matches/training. I choose not to spend my discretionary funds with them, since I have an acceptable alternative which has functioned without issue.

I strongly suspect that since the ammunition shortage, QC on primers has taken a significant downturn...

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    SSB:

My understanding that the reason for keeping a box of 38 Special Service ammo in the glove box of Bureau vehicles was to provide agents the ability to reload service revolvers in case of a fight. My understanding is that one of the agents involved in the Miami Shooting in 1986 actually did that while under fire.
    I have the forensic analysis of that Miami Firefight/Shootout of 1986, and don't recall that happening during the event. Yes, at least a couple of the FBI Agents attempted/succeeded in reloading both revolvers/shotguns, but I don't recall any going into the glove box/compartment for anything including ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    I have the forensic analysis of that Miami Firefight/Shootout of 1986, and don't recall that happening during the event. Yes, at least a couple of the FBI Agents attempted/succeeded in reloading both revolvers/shotguns, but I don't recall any going into the glove box/compartment for anything including ammo.
    That reminds me, when I started in 1989, our cruisers (all four of them!) had a box of 38s (95 grain +P Silvertips) and a box of #4 buckshot in the glovebox

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock17JHP View Post
    In his book, SA Ed Mireles discusses SA Gilbert Orrantia doing his second reload utilizing the spare box of ammo from the glove box.

Platt kept shooting and moving. He fired several shots in the direction of Gilbert and Ron across the street. As Gilbert was sitting in the driver’s seat, he heard the clanging of metal as bullets struck the car. Gilbert had fired six shots and as he was reloading, the car that he and Ron were in continued to receive incoming gunfire. A bullet hit the front windshield of the car right above the dashboard. A second bullet hit the car and came through the dashboard and peppered Gilbert with fragments. He ducked down for better cover, but he had been hit in the head and left arm with fragment and was very lucky not to be temporarily or permanently blinded by those fragments. He was wounded, but continued to stay focused. After his reload, he fired six more shots.

Gilbert grabbed a spare box of ammo from his glove box and spilled several rounds into his hand. Bullets continued to ding the car. By the time Gilbert finished his second reload, Platt had moved away from where he had been crouching. Gilbert fired a total of 12 shots.

User Tag List