Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI Revolver Service Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Back in the day when wheelguns were still the primary duty guns, the manufacturers paid more attention to striker indent centrality, driven protrusion and strength of firing pin indent. Many revolvers on today's commercial market would not pass muster using the inspection standards developed for the US Army during WW2 and subsequently used at FLETC and the FBI/DEA Quantico gun vault.

Firing pin indent cannot be off center more than half the diameter of the striker point.

Driven protrusion on .38 Special, .357 and 9mm should be 0.028-0.032"

Striker indent for .38 Special should be not less than 0.010" on annealed size "C" .225x.400 copper cylinder when used with the government gage holder, struck in DA with barrel horizontal. For .357 and 9mm indent must be 0.012", for M4 carbine 0.018"

Lacking the coppers and government gages test fire 100 rounds of your carry ammo. Good to go if no drips, runs or errors. If ONE misfire, repeat the sample. In 200 rounds accept on 1 misfire, reject/repair on 2 or more.

Old school Colts, Rugers and contract S&Ws had no trouble meeting this. Concealed hammer J-frames with coil spring lockwork, other than the 9mm M940 may have issues. My Ruger SP101 and 1964 Colt OP set off
    Small rifle primers 100%.
    Excessive head clearance and end shake over 0.002" reduces striker indent also. On a new revolver it is worthwhile to thoroughly clean interior of frame, lightly deburr and flat stone hammer and lightly dry lubricate to reduce friction. QUICK AND EASY action job on a Ruger is to clamp in milling machine vise and turn eccentric cam to actuate trigger at 120 rpm for 10,000 cycles recorded with a counter on your Bridgeport. Mike Moore used this method for armorer's school demo for those who worried if dry firing was harmful.
    Outpost75:

Thank you for contributing that sort of detailed technical information. It is nice to have those specifications and observations for reference.

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Outpost75:

Thank you for contributing that sort of detailed technical information. It is nice to have those specifications and observations for reference.

Bruce

I have learned a lot from you two, Thank you!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    On a new revolver it is worthwhile to thoroughly clean interior of frame, lightly deburr and flat stone hammer and lightly dry lubricate to reduce friction.
    I would do that after a new revolver has passed the user's QC checks (sighting in, shooting a few hundred rounds with no problems). To my mind, there is no point in doing that to a gun that might end up going back to the factory a time or three.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I would do that after a new revolver has passed the user's QC checks (sighting in, shooting a few hundred rounds with no problems). To my mind, there is no point in doing that to a gun that might end up going back to the factory a time or three.
    Three seems a little conservative. I think you and Smith are going to wind up sharing joint custody of that 66-8.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Three seems a little conservative. I think you and Smith are going to wind up sharing joint custody of that 66-8.
    We’re on the second gun, now.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Agree. That is why an old gun that works is worth more than a new one which doesn't.

Some eye candy showing what the Winchester X38SPD "FBI" Load does in an old school (1929) Colt Official Police:

Name:  1929OP-25ydsX38SPD.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  35.6 KB

And also in a 1985 Ruger Speed Six DAO:

Name:  X38SPD25ydsRugerSpeedSixDAO.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  84.0 KB

Sheesh @Outpost75. I'll lay a little blame for those nice groups on the shooter. Wow.

Excessive head clearance and end shake over 0.002" reduces striker indent also. On a new revolver it is worthwhile to thoroughly clean interior of frame, lightly deburr and flat stone hammer and lightly dry lubricate to reduce friction. QUICK AND EASY action job on a Ruger is to clamp in milling machine vise and turn eccentric cam to actuate trigger at 120 rpm for 10,000 cycles recorded with a counter on your Bridgeport. Mike Moore used this method for armorer's school demo for those who worried if dry firing was harmful.
    What dry lube do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    What dry lube do you recommend?
    Sentry Solutions Tuff Glide

User Tag List