Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinel for GP pocket carry?

Agreed, I do like the Blur and will probably pick up another down the road.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I think I'm going to give this one a spin: Buck Knives 364 Rival I. The blade and OAL are shorter than the Blur and I was starting to see it as overkill (which I normally approve of) for day to day use.

I'm still going to add a small or medium stainless Opinel to the order because they're inexpensive enough and I can always use another good knife in the garage or around the house.
    I bought one of those recently because I travel to NJ a lot and a need something that I at least think is probably legal in the entire state and is cheap enough that I don't mind losing it. It's nice for the price and a useful little knife. The one thing I don't like is the lock mechanism, which is in the spine of the handle. It's very awkward to use one-handed and for me doing that means when the blade unlocks it swings towards my fingers, which I am not comfortable with. I've been much happier with this one, personally: CRKT Squid

I've had a couple Opinels with non-stainless blades I picked up at the Hypermarket in Cherbourg on a beer-collection ferry trip across the channel from Portsmouth one day.

I would never carry one of those things in my pocket. I mean heck the blade would not stay open reliably even in my hand. The rotating steel collar was forever moving around the shaft. They ended up rusting and I think I tossed them in the rubbish.
    Last edited by RJ; 05-13-2020 at 06:01 PM. Reason: gram are

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I won’t use one for that. I don’t trust it to stay closed when it’s supposed to be closed. That opens up all kinds of bad injury potential. On a belt in a pouch, or in a backpack, sure, whatever, but never in a pocket. Ever.
    Nice knives, but this.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Mine has enough friction that I'm not worried about it opening. Time will tell.

Makes me wish I had picked up one of those old Cold Steel Twistmasters when they were out.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    The one thing I don't like is the lock mechanism, which is in the spine of the handle. It's very awkward to use one-handed and for me doing that means when the blade unlocks it swings towards my fingers, which I am not comfortable with.
    I thought about that as well but most of the knives I had as a kid were lockbacks and I still have all of my fingers with any scars on them unrelated to said lockbacks. I'll have to remember the techniques I used and go from there. I'll check out that Squid as well.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe S View Post
    Mine has enough friction that I'm not worried about it opening. Time will tell.
    I spent years with one in my pocket... never had an issue with it.

My dad carried one for at least a decade, maybe more. No problem.

Great little slicers.

I found this at a local rummage sale for .50 cents. Carbon Steel blade. Rust pits so deep it looks like wormy driftwood. I had to dunk it in a bowl of oxalic acid solution and scrub it with 0 thru 0000 steel wool and then buff it on a wheel.
    Takes and keeps an edge like nobody's business; none of my stainless blades come close.

Name:  IMG_20200513_204535401~2.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  37.7 KB

I took a square jeweler's file and notched the collar so it would lock the blade closed in my pocket. When twisted open it stays locked open. Likewise now when closed. The blade swings freely when unlocked.

Name:  IMG_20200513_204558975~2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  55.1 KB

Taking a lead from famed luthier Wayne Henderson, I have started using it to carve guitar braces; it works well, and cleans right up for salami slicing duty readily. The handle is kind of fat for pocket carry, but if your pockets are deep & wide, it'll work.

I'd buy another when this one dies.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    I spent years with one in my pocket... never had an issue with it.

My dad carried one for at least a decade, maybe more. No problem.

Great little slicers.
    I carried one for about a year and never had an issue either. Locking collar is still relatively snug. Went back to carrying a Victorinox because it was more size efficient, has way more utility, and happens to be the knife that a grandfather gave me over 30 years ago as my first knife.

Got the Rival I and a No5 Sunday and so far I like them. I don't go back to work until next Tuesday but I'm really looking forward to trying both out under my normal working conditions.

The Buck locking mechanism is different from what I'm used to and was thinking of when I read the description. I was expecting it to be near the back of the handle but it's closer the middle, maybe 1/3 of the way back from the blade. It's going to take some work to get used to but so far I don't dislike it.

The No5 OTOH is a complete surprise to me. Even reading the descriptions I just didn't realize how petite this thing is. And light! Even if I don't end up carrying it, I can see a few more of these making their way to live here if this one holds up well.

Name:  IMG_2986.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  101.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_2987.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  100.1 KB

Compared to my early 1900s Swedish barrel knife
    Name:  IMG_2990.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  100.3 KB

Rival and No5 compared
    Name:  IMG_2991.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  100.5 KB

Both compared with the barrel knife and my Kershaw Blur. Yeah, guess what I found under the edge of the bed the day before the new stuff arrived...
    Name:  IMG_2992.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  100.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_2993.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  81.0 KB

User Tag List