Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat Hackathorn Special Commander

I wonder if you can get compensated for all the ammo you've shot trying to prove the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Wilson has forgotten entirely how to fit a barrel. The gun is on the edge of properly fitted, and with a fresh recoil spring it runs, once the recoil spring wears a bit - it stops running, because the timing is incorrect.

A nearly $4000 gun should never be broken like this.

I suggest getting a refund and calling Alchemy Custom Weaponry and ordering yourself something that will be properly built.
    As I posted before, I purchased this pistol used. Wilson knows this. They have never acted like this will be an issue. To date, a new frame then a new gun. If I get a refund, I'd suppose it would be for what I have in it. However, I am considering doing Rob for a steel frame Commander. I will explore my options tomorrow. Pistols going back regardless.

I have brought up barrel fit to them several times. I don't get why my two 5", two 4" compact and LW Commander all run without issue. All are Wilson's.

JW

@Pit Any updates to this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    @Pit Any updates to this situation?
    Wilson Combat assigned one of the Super Grade gunsmiths to build the new pistol. The problem has not been identified by WC at this point. The pistol has been built and test firing is on going.

Earlier I offered to ship the aluminum frame Hackathorn Commander to WC for inspection/comparison. I figured same shooter, same ammo, same pistol other than frame. They recently asked if the offer was still open. They sent me a shipping label and have that pistol. So far this did not shed any light on the issue.

I also sent 100 rds. of my duty ammo on their dime. The new pistol is being test fired with numerous loads, torn down and inspected. The old frames are at R&D being inspected also.

So, I'm still waiting for the final decision from Wilson if my gun is ready. The refund matter has been discussed and is an open option if this does not work. I'm expecting an answer next week.

JW

I could be wrong but it appears Wilson stood up to the plate on this. Ive seen many other companys not do 1 10th as much.

Looks like a 3 point jam

Link/barrel lug not fit correctly

A heavy recoil spring would not cause that, but would try to correct it.

Correct fix would be to refit the barrel, probably use a shorter link?

That's if the barrel throat feed ramp angle has not been "over" polished, folks get over concerned with throating 1911 barrels.

That's my long distance guess

Probably not correct as Wilson should be all over something that simple

I got the pistol back. Wilson did over 500 rounds for a function test with this pistol. Of that over 400 rounds were the Winchester Ranger T. They had no issues.

I put another 390 rounds of WW 230gr hardball through the Hackathorn. After 150 or so rounds I noticed the pistol's recoil was becoming more pronounced with a louder report every 4 to 8 rounds. Based on the 3 past pistols as well as this one, the problem seems to occur in the 800 - 1000 round area and gets worse in a hurry. To ensure it was not an ammo issue I fired off a number of the same rounds with my 5" CQB, no issues.

I moved on to fire 30 rounds of Federal Hydro Shock. I had a failure to feed with round #4. When I tapped the bottom of the grip, the round chambered. I checked to ensure the weapon was properly lubed. It was but I added a bit anyway. Round #11 failed to feed and tapping the bottom of the grip did not cause it to chamber. I slightly retracted the slide and let it drive home. The remaining Hydro Shock's functioned fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Moving on to a more current duty round, I fired 30 Federal 230gr HST. Had a more significant failure to feed on rounds 3 and 20. These malfunctions were not cleared with a simple Tap, Rack....

Ended the testing with the idea to fire 30 rounds of Winchester Ranger T. This ammunition is my current issue round. Had a stoppage with the 7th round. Decided to save the rest of the ammo. The recoil was increasing and the small gap between the barrel ramp and the frame ramp was slowly disappearing indicating the frame was taking a beating.

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    Moving on to a more current duty round, I fired 30 Federal 230gr HST. Had a more significant failure to feed on rounds 3 and 20. These malfunctions were not cleared with a simple Tap, Rack....
    I would suggest a new magazine and a lighter bullet. Bill Wilson describes this type of failure here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjOPiZhEwA8

User Tag List