Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat Hackathorn Special Commander

Been working and forgot to post here. Let me see if I can address some of the things brought up so far.

Wingate: Wilson Combat did work with me on attempting to determine why these steel frame Hackathorn Commanders were not working with my issue duty ammo. For what ever reason, if get lost that the pistol would not run with the Federal 230 gr HST as well as the WW Ranger T. I had some old Federal Hydra Shocks but they did not work either. I think locking the thread was unnecessary but it is what it is. I said "WOW" when the refund became my only option. I told them I did not ask for a refund but for a working pistol. It was apparent to me this decision was not made buy "gun" people but by those looking at the bottom line. My belief only.

Sensei: I remarked to the CS that many departments use Federal HST or WW Ranger T as duty ammo. I got the impression that the gun people do not believe this is an ammo problem but the issue has been taken out of their hands. I give Wilson's credit for firing over 400 rds. of Ranger and some HST prior to returning the pistol to me the last time. They were unable to recreate the failure to feeds when they got the pistol back but did not doubt my word as what I had experienced.

All: I have two Wilson Combat Govt 5" models, two Wilson Combat Compacts 4" Bull Barrel / no bushing and an aluminum 4 1/4" Wilson Combat Hackathorn Commander. All run 100% with the department training and duty ammo. All have had several thousand rounds through them. So it is NOT the ammo. It is not just the RANGER T ammo. This problem is isolated to the steel frame. I sent the aluminum frame in for a comparison. I was told it has some minor frame wear and to keep an eye on it. When (If) it develops any issue I send it in for a new frame and perhaps send it immediately to someone to check the barrel fit.

I'm getting a refund but I wanted a pistol. So I'm looking at the ACW Classic Carry as I've had some experience with Rob in the past. He knows his stuff.

JW

Forget the feed issues as those are secondary to the fact that Pit was able to destroy more than one frame with relatively few rounds. I am not sure how Wilson can claim that a standard-pressure JHP, any standard-pressure JHP from a major ammo manufacturer, causes the frame to be damaged. How is standard-pressure ammo causing the VIS and slide lugs to be damaged?

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Then, Wilson should let us know that their pistols, or at least this model, does not reliably function with 230 grain Winchester Ranger. They should put a little asterisks next to the caliber column on their website and put this disclaimer at the bottom of the webpage.

Here is my issue and I base this on multiple conversations with their CS as we worked through various issues with the 9mm CQB Elite and EDC X9L that I purchased, as well as the 9mm Colt CCU that they worked over. Wilson does a fair amount of test firing with their guns before they leave the factory - that is a good thing. However, and this is a big however - most of that testing is not done with JHP ammo, and what little is done was not with a popular duty load such as HST, GDHP, or Ranger. At least, that was the case with my 9mm guns that were test fired with FMJ and Hornady JHP ammo even though it was made clear that my issues were occurring with HST and GDHP. If Wilson wants to market themselves as a company producing hard use, duty-ready pistols, then their guns need to run on Federal HST, Speer GD, and Winchester Ranger ammo.
    I recently read the thread on your ordeal with that CCU.

Did Wilson identify the problem with the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I recently read the thread on your ordeal with that CCU.

Did Wilson identify the problem with the gun?
    No. It was 98% reliable with Tripp Cobra mags and 147 grain HST but wouldn’t feed any other duty JHP in any other mag, including Wilson ETMs. Truth be told, I’ve lost interest in trying to make 9mm 1911s run, although I still have the pistols in the back of my safe. I’ve gone back to basics and use the 9mm Glock platform for 90% of my carry needs. The other 10% is divided between Berettas with Langdon TJIABs, Sig P-series, and a couple Springfield PROs from back in the day.

Name:  Springfield TRP PRO Duo #2.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  64.1 KB
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

After Wilson Combat gave up on making me a steel framed 45acp Commander, I reached out to Rob @ Alchemy Custom Weaponry in ref: a Classic Carry. After a couple of discussions about my duty ammo I ordered one of ACW's Commanders. Got word it's arriving today at my LGS. Got a couple of pics sent to me by George @ Gunslingers. Looks damn fine! There's just something about Blued Steel and Wood Grips. Needs a leather holster for a complete look. Finally got a new steel frame 45acp Commander.

Better pics and range report soon.

JW
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Went to LGS for a look. Seems to be very well built, nice and tight.

JW

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Forget the feed issues as those are secondary to the fact that Pit was able to destroy more than one frame with relatively few rounds. I am not sure how Wilson can claim that a standard-pressure JHP, any standard-pressure JHP from a major ammo manufacturer, causes the frame to be damaged. How is standard-pressure ammo causing the VIS and slide lugs to be damaged?
    My guess would be lack of clearance between the slide lugs and the barrel lugs when the barrel feet hit the VIS. I skimmed this thread and didn't see a pic of the barrel lugs but it should show pretty easily.

Update:

I have fired over 1200 rounds on WW White Box 230gr ball as well as +250 rounds mix of HST, Ranger T, and Gold Dot. No malfunctions. The frame is showing no unusual wear from use. Accuracy is on par with other high end pistols, much better than me. The trigger has become clean & crisp as the pistol breaks in. The bluing is showing holster use but that's the nature of the finish. The slide / fame fit is outstanding. No play at all. The barrel lock up is positive. I am positively impressed with this pistol. I hope ACW gives the known high end manufactures a wake up call, they need one.

JW

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    Update:

I have fired over 1200 rounds on WW White Box 230gr ball as well as +250 rounds mix of HST, Ranger T, and Gold Dot. No malfunctions. The frame is showing no unusual wear from use. Accuracy is on par with other high end pistols, much better than me. The trigger has become clean & crisp as the pistol breaks in. The bluing is showing holster use but that's the nature of the finish. The slide / fame fit is outstanding. No play at all. The barrel lock up is positive. I am positively impressed with this pistol. I hope ACW gives the known high end manufactures a wake up call, they need one.

JW

That is an amazing looking gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    Update:

JW
    Just WOW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List