Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: German Language RFI

Many years ago I wanted to learn to speak tourist-level German, and tried the Pimsleur CDs. The Pimsleur method uses a LOT of repetition.
    The bad: Because of all the repetition, you learn a very small vocabulary for the time spent.
    The good: Because of all the repetition, you retain it well.
    I did learn that it helped to say everything out loud at a normal speaking volume. Saying it quietly to myself didn’t work as well.

@TGS

PM inbound

Native German speaker here, which actually might make me less knowledgeable on this topic because I never had to learn German in any kind of course or classroom setting. However, I did learn English by spending time in the US, and I agree with all previous posters that the immersion method is the only thing that really works. I had a friend from the US come over to Germany for a few months and he made more progress in the few months in country than during his entire high school and college 'career' studying German.
    I don't know much about the other ways of learning languages, but my wife is learning Swedish through Rosetta Stone right now and seems to be happy with the lessons.
    Hit me up if you need any help!

Hallo Dan,

was mir bisher einfiel:

IQ – Wissenschaft und Forschung
    Das ist ein Podcast, den ich gerne höre.

Patric Heizmann
    Patric Heizmann gibt sehr gute Tipps zu Sport, Gesundheit und gesunder Ernährung. Er interviewt oft Experten dazu. Er hat auch einen Podcast. Gib seinen Namen in die Suchfunktion ein, dann müsstest Du ihn finden.

kenfm.de
    Das ist ein alternatives Medium. Es geht da hauptsächlich um Politik und gesellschafts-politische Themen. Sehr gute Alternative oder zumindest sehr gute Ergänzung zu den Hauptstrom-Medien, die meiner Ansicht nach viel verschweigen und dadurch die Realität sehr verzerrt darstellen.

youtube.com/results?search_query=feuer+und+flamme
    Das ist eine Sendereihe über echte Einsätze von Feuerwehr und Rettungsdienst in Deutschland. Die Sendung finde ich großartig. Man sieht, was für eine Super-Arbeit die Feuerwehr leistet und was das für nette Menschen sind.

@P30

Awesome! Thank you.

Good translator German <-> English:
    translate.google.de
    deepl.com/translator

Very good online-dictionary German <-> English:
    linguee.de

PS:
    I've tested deepl with my previous post. The translation is quite good:
    Hello, Dan,

what I could come up with so far:

IQ - Science and Research
    This is a podcast I like to listen to.

Patric Heizmann
    Patric Heizmann gives very good tips on sports, health and healthy nutrition. He often interviews experts on the subject. He also has a podcast. Enter his name in the search function and you should find him.

kenfm.de
    This is an alternative medium. It is mainly about politics and socio-political topics. Very good alternative or at least a very good addition to the mainstream media, which in my opinion conceal a lot and therefore present reality in a very distorted way.

youtube.com/results?search_query=fire+and+flame
    This is a series of broadcasts about real operations of fire and rescue services in Germany. I think that's a great show. You can see what a great job the fire brigade does and what nice people they are.
    Last edited by P30; 05-12-2020 at 03:51 PM.

forum.waffen-online.de
    A weapons forum in German language. I suppose, it's the biggest forum on this topic in Germany.

@Dan_S: One more tip: Read or listen German stuff whose content fascinates you. I did this with fascinating English stuff, helped me very much to learn to understand English.

Some suggestions:

A German book, which has fascinated me: Rüdiger Nehberg: Überleben ums Verrecken
    It's a great book about survival and real adventures.
    Great new book by the same author (available for kindle): Dem Mut ist keine Gefahr gewachsen

Some very beautiful German songs (at least for my taste):
    Nena - Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann (old 80s song, was a very great hit here in Germany)
    Wir sind Helden - Denkmal (2004)
    Lea - Zu dir (2018)
    Die Gedanken sind frei (a traditional German song about freedom, I've just noted that he also sings in French)

Try to understand the lyrics.
    Last edited by P30; 05-12-2020 at 05:34 PM.

Check out the Goethe Institut. Ich habe doch viel vergessen, aber meine Erfahrung mit dem Institut war ganz positiv.

https://www.goethe.de/ins/us/en/index.html

SPRACHE. KULTUR. DEUTSCHLAND.
    The Goethe-Institut is the cultural institute of the Federal Republic of Germany with a global reach.

We promote knowledge of the German language abroad and foster international cultural cooperation. We convey a comprehensive image of Germany by providing information about cultural, social and political life in our nation. Our cultural and educational programs encourage intercultural dialogue and enable cultural involvement. They strengthen the development of structures in civil society and foster worldwide mobility.

With our network of Goethe-Instituts, Goethe Centers, cultural societies, reading rooms and exam and language learning centers, we have been the first point of contact for many with Germany for over sixty years. Our long-lasting partnerships with leading institutions and individuals in over ninety countries create enduring trust in Germany. We are partners for all who actively engage with Germany and its culture, working independently and without political ties.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    @Dan_S: One more tip: Read or listen German stuff whose content fascinates you. I did this with fascinating English stuff, helped me very much to learn to understand English.

Some suggestions:

A German book, which has fascinated me: Rüdiger Nehberg: Überleben ums Verrecken
    It's a great book about survival and real adventures.
    Great new book by the same author (available for kindle): Dem Mut ist keine Gefahr gewachsen

Some very beautiful German songs (at least for my taste):
    Nena - Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann (old 80s song, was a very great hit here in Germany)
    Wir sind Helden - Denkmal (2004)
    Lea - Zu dir (2018)
    Die Gedanken sind frei (a traditional German song about freedom, I've just noted that he also sings in French)

Try to understand the lyrics.
    My German teacher made us listen to Das Doofe Fischlied to get the grammer correct [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List