Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: German Language RFI

@Jim Watson
    Maybe I was a bit over-sensitive. After re-reading your post, I assume your main point was to mention the higher need for knowing foreign languages in Europe compared to the US. At first I was a bit hurt and felt you belittle European countries.

The language barrier lets pass misunderstandings easily. I've already experienced this and have hurt some feelings unintentionally. It's important to know this in multi-language and international communication. After some time I've learned: If I'm in doubt, the guy from the foreign country means what is the best of all possibilities. And I've told the guy from abroad they should please assume so vice versa.
    Last edited by P30; 01-21-2022 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I work for a German company and my boss is from Germany. Really cool guy.
    Tell your boss: "You can do it all. Except Standard German." Then you are king.

Just kidding...

Background: I suppose your boss is from Baden-Württemberg. An official motto of Baden-Württemberg was (until 2021):

This contains some truth and some likeable self-irony.
    Last edited by P30; 01-21-2022 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @P30 - How one learns a foreign language influences how difficult one finds it, and which part of the language (written, spoken, read, heard) is easiest. My university degree is in French, so reading and writing it was easier for me until I had to use it with people, when I became more comfortable speaking it. I learned my German on the street (oof der Stross, wie mann rund um Karlsruhe sagt ), so I'm more comfortable speaking German than writing.
    Yesterday I watched a beautiful travel magazine on TV about France. It ended with the most beautiful song and lyrics about the sea that I've ever listened to:

Some native English speakers say they feel German does not sound very gentle to their ears. But I have to say: The word for what a mother or a cradle does to a baby sounds in German much more gentle than in English. At least to my German ears. I don't understand how you English guys can call it like a big stone. The most important and last sentence in the song contains the word.

PS:
    The Google and Deepl translation of the lyrics uses the word "rock". Meanwhile I've found out that the noun "cradle" can also be used as a verb. This sounds more gentle to my ears but still not as much as the German word.

Live version of the wonderful song
    Last edited by P30; 01-24-2022 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post

Some native English speakers say they feel German does not sound very gentle to their ears.
    Obviously, the following is an example of hyberbole. The actor is over-emphasizing the guttural nature of German. Still, German is guttural, and that is apparent enough in the differences with the languages in this comedic video:

To be fair, the reason I took German in college is exactly because of that guttural character of the language. It sounds badass. Also, I think the German that most Americans are exposed to is either the very "sharp" pronunciation by Austrians (i.e. Arnold Schwarzenegger), or the other large influence being videos of Hitler (again, Austrian). Most Americans probably don't know what actual German sounds like, to be honest.

As for some previous commentary about learning languages, one of the hardest things about German is the fact that most Germans refuse to practice with foreigners learning the language. I've had numerous instances of a German becoming quickly annoyed, throwing their hand up in the air and sharply declaring, "It is best if you stop speaking German and we will continue the conversation in English". In contrast, I've never had that happen with any other culture.....not once. That, in combination with the general reserved nature of Germans compared to other western cultures can make it difficult for students. Other languages which are objectively more difficult tend to be easier for us to learn simply because of these subjective factors, especially when compared to cultures which get really excited about a westerner learning their language and have an underlying culture of hospitality that is missing from western cultures in general (Indian subcontinent, lookin' at you! )
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

especially when compared to cultures which get really excited about a westerner learning their language
    As Podkayne of Mars said, people appreciate it if you even say "thank you" in their language.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I've had numerous instances of a German becoming quickly annoyed, throwing their hand up in the air and sharply declaring, "It is best if you stop speaking German and we will continue the conversation in English".
    That was probably because you've listened the Gänseblümchen video to often and spoke German like the dude in the video.

Also, I think the German that most Americans are exposed to is either the very "sharp" pronunciation by Austrians (i.e. Arnold Schwarzenegger), or the other large influence being videos of Hitler (again, Austrian). Most Americans probably don't know what actual German sounds like, to be honest.
    I suppose, this is quite true. But I find that not all Austrians have a "sharp" pronunciation. Some men do, most women and children don't. Concerning the "guttural nature" you claimed for German language: I find, the Swiss and Dutch do this big time. In Standard German, it's not so excessive.

the general reserved nature of Germans compared to other western cultures
    I think this is half true and half wrong. I would say: Germans don't play a superficial kind of friendliness. They are honest. But you can become good friends with a German. And then for life and they will do their best to help you out if you need them.
    Last edited by P30; 01-24-2022 at 10:29 AM.

In Standard German, it's not so excessive.
    The overarching point to remember is that it is when compared to the Romance languages. There's a reason that we find French and Italian to be fairly seductive, and a lot of women's fantasies might involve a Spaniard.

German? Eh, sorry buddy......not so much.

Don't take it personal. You're not alone:

"Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I suppose, this is quite true. But I find that not all Austrians have a "sharp" pronunciation. Some men do, most women and children don't. Concerning the "guttural nature" you claimed for German language: I find, the Swiss and Dutch do this big time. In Standard German, it's not so excessive.
    I'll confirm that about the Swiss.

When I was passing through Sweden about a decade ago, There was a Swiss family seating at the table next to mine speaking their version of German. While I barely speak German, I have no problems identifying it upon hearing it, but in this case, their speech was so guttural (and had ways of pronouncing words I knew that turned them into words that I couldn't recognize) that I had no idea what language they were speaking. Thus I had to ask them and they were very kind in dealing with my ignorance.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Name:  D3E8CB3F-5D0F-4D4C-A0A9-EEAFBA913B77.jpeg
Views: 94
Size:  28.2 KB

ETA: I haven’t studied much German, but I do enjoy it as a language. I do think it’s probably easier to learn as an English speaker vs someone who speaks a Romance language. I do like that we have stolen quite a few words from the German language, which one one of my favorite parts of both the English language and living in an immigrant country. We’re not afraid to say that word works better than any of ours, so we’ll be using that from here on out.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 01-24-2022 at 11:46 AM.

User Tag List