Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we have anyone with roofing experience on here?

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyFirst View Post
    How much harder is it to install a metal roof versus standard shingles? I would rather do the roof once and be finished with it. Thanks
    In my view a lot easier than shingling. I'd say it took me longer than it would have to shingle, but thought it was easier.

This from from the perspective of doing it yourself.

I’ll be posting pics, descriptions, and measurements tomorrow, been busy; thanks for offering advice.
    #RESIST

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyFirst View Post
    How much harder is it to install a metal roof versus standard shingles? I would rather do the roof once and be finished with it. Thanks
    Largely depends on the roof. A gable or shed roof and it's so simple a child and a reasonably well trained monkey could do it. I mean, I've done it and I'm one or both of those things. If it's a "modern design" complex roof with multiple planes and a shotgun pattern of hips and valleys, less so. I would not hire the child and monkey team.

Basically, the more cuts you have to make, especially at an angle, the harder it is.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Largely depends on the roof. A gable or shed roof and it's so simple a child and a reasonably well trained monkey could do it. I mean, I've done it and I'm one or both of those things. If it's a "modern design" complex roof with multiple planes and a shotgun pattern of hips and valleys, less so. I would not hire the child and monkey team.

Basically, the more cuts you have to make, especially at an angle, the harder it is.
    Angles and geometry perplex most roofers. That's why they're roofers and not architects or civil engineers.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Angles and geometry perplex most roofers. That's why they're roofers and not architects or civil engineers.
    They did me. My dad had a head for it, though. He could look at prints and see the 3D reality modeled in his head. I very seldom saw him mess up a cut, and if he did it was always in such a manner it could be used on the opposite side or cut down a bit and used elsewhere. Note this was framing, not roofing. We never did roofing commercially with a few exceptions for small out-buildings but did do our own stuff. Running felt paper was as "roofing" as I ever got for pay on residentials.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Black Jack around all your vents and lots of it

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    They did me. My dad had a head for it, though. He could look at prints and see the 3D reality modeled in his head. I very seldom saw him mess up a cut, and if he did it was always in such a manner it could be used on the opposite side or cut down a bit and used elsewhere. Note this was framing, not roofing. We never did roofing commercially with a few exceptions for small out-buildings but did do our own stuff. Running felt paper was as "roofing" as I ever got for pay on residentials.
    Carpentry and roofing are miles apart. Take it from a surveyor. I made a living as a professional surveyor for 30 years. Still trying to figure out how a good carpenter can do those cuts. I need a damn scientific HP calculator.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-13-2020 at 10:54 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

While we await L.L.'s questions I'll show a complicated roof I tackled. I did this one last year on a house we've been working on as a vacation rental, on a small lake. I would have burned it down if I could have found a legal way to do so. It was a complete wreck and I ended up reframing the roof and re-shingling it. I did the shingling solo and it took a while.

It's an octagon basically with two bump outs. The elevation of the ridges of the two bump outs weren't the same height, and there was no way to frame it to make it happen. The two bump outs had vented ridges and I had to vent the other portions out the top center. Our solution for that was a cupola with vents made out of cedar and painted.

The beginning..

Name:  old house.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  48.1 KB

The roof with ice and water shield on it..
    Name:  rooftop3.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  67.5 KB

To vent the roof I built a cupola
    Name:  rooftop.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  56.0 KB

and a cool weather vane on top
    Name:  rooftop2.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  57.2 KB

rebuilt the deck while we were at it. My 75 y.o. dad did most of that work while I was on the roof.
    Name:  after.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  56.6 KB

and finally we did a little landscaping and hydro-seeded.
    Name:  afterland.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  46.8 KB

I can't believe we accomplished all this last summer. This summer we're at a standstill due to the Corona virus depleting my budget for this project.

View from the deck makes it worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, so my roofer is telling me that all of this pictured soffit is old, deprecated, needs to be replaced by the new stuff which is composite/not wood, and a different size.

Name:  IMG-8890.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  IMG-8891.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  56.5 KB

Name:  IMG-8892.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  35.0 KB

Name:  IMG-8893.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  24.7 KB