Thread: Technical question : LCR 9mm

Technical question : LCR 9mm

Could someone with an LCR 9mm (and decent calipers) measure the cylinder front to back and diameter?

Thank you!

Lenght - 1.572"
    max diameter - 1.283"
    min diameter - 1.268

Huh, I would have guessed it would be shorter front to back, given that SAAMI max for 9mm overall length is 1.169". Seems like there's quite a bit of empty space for the bullet to travel before it even gets to the cylinder gap, let alone the actual rifling in the barrel. Is it just the same cylinder they use in the .357 magnum version or something? (I'm assuming not the .38 spl due to 9mm being a much higher pressure cartridge than .38 spl.)

Yes, the LCR 9mm has a lot of 'freebore' in the cylinder that apparently contributes to a higher muzzle velocity than you would expect. Effective barrel length is around 3". I also like that longer cylinder because it makes it harder for recoil-induced bullet pull to lock up the gun. (Note that I have not had issues with that).
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

@Clusterfrack it's funny you mention freebore as I was just reading a research article about the amount of freebore in relation to loading for precision vs seating on the lands and the traditional wisdom of doing so can actually produce less accuracy and performance over the life of the barrel as erosion occurs, (I believe higher pressures were also noted when increasing freebore IRCC). Obviously not so much a thing with pistols but funny and timely none the less. Sorry for the side track OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yes, the LCR 9mm has a lot of 'freebore' in the cylinder that apparently contributes to a higher muzzle velocity than you would expect. Effective barrel length is around 3". I also like that longer cylinder because it makes it harder for recoil-induced bullet pull to lock up the gun. (Note that I have not had issues with that).
    Another byproduct is more reliable ejection... with a longer cylinder/ejector rod, a shorter cartridge will clear the cylinder easier.

When I converted my 642 to 9mm, I noticed I could eject loaded moonclips without issue. .38s... they could get hung up ejecting empties.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I have only experienced slight bullet pull with Aguila 147 FMJs. I didn't measure it but it was enough to be seen with an uncalibrated eyeball, this was the 5th round after shooting 4. I have had no other issues with other ammo. It would be interesting if Ruger made a LCR up like they did with the Super GP in 9mm with the short cylinder and the longer forcing cone(?).

For logistics and cost savings, it’s likely the make one frame and use it for all calibers. Therefore, you’ll wind up with sizing that will accommodate .357 magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Another byproduct is more reliable ejection... with a longer cylinder/ejector rod, a shorter cartridge will clear the cylinder easier.
    The shorter cartridge aids ejection. I don’t see how a longer ejector rod helps if that extra length is behind the crane. The only movement you have is up until the ejector hits the crane.

I’ve always wonder what could be gained making a dedicated 9mm snubby. You might gain 1/4”+ in reduced length with a frame that doesn’t need to accommodate the .357.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    For logistics and cost savings, it’s likely the make one frame and use it for all calibers. Therefore, you’ll wind up with sizing that will accommodate .357 magnum.

The shorter cartridge aids ejection. I don’t see how a longer ejector rod helps if that extra length is behind the crane. The only movement you have is up until the ejector hits the crane.

I’ve always wonder what could be gained making a dedicated 9mm snubby. You might gain 1/4”+ in reduced length with a frame that doesn’t need to accommodate the .357.
    I seem to remember that the Korth 9mm snubby, imported by Nighthawk, and now discontinued, had a proper 9mm length cylinder. I shot a friend's briefly but never did an accuracy test. Bullet jump is supposed to be an issue even in revolvers, but at practical distances I don't think it matters much. A friend of mine loaded some 9mm at a longer OAL and .356 bullets for my 986 revolver but there didn't seem to be any noticeable difference in accuracy at 25 yards. I never get better than 3" at 25 yards with this gun. A complicating factor was the stupid .356+ barrels that Smith puts in their 9mm revolvers.
    Real guns have hammers.

User Tag List