Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Lightest Available Reliable Revolver.

What about the lightweight S&W .22 Magnum?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I have both a Kel-Tec P-32 and P3AT. Both are 100% reliable, but both required recoil springs 2 lb. heavier than factory standard (meaning that I use 11 lb. in the .32 and 13 lb. in the .380) to avoid a first shot jam when loaded to full magazine capacity plus one in the chamber.

Do not swap the guide rod that came with the gun. If it is plastic, do not replace it with metal - the flexibility of the plastic will help reliability. If it came from the factory with metal, leave it alone.

The simplest solution to the suboptimal sights is a Crimson Trace LaserGuard. Pocket holsters for this gun-laser combination are plentiful.

I discourage the "fluff and buff." It will void the warranty, and Kel-Tec has seen numerous guns that left the factory in-spec, but were taken out of spec by this procedure.

If you go with the .32, it may be worth trying this ammo: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=132. I have not yet tried it myself, since I learned about it after I had stopped carrying the P-32 regularly, but perhaps I should.
    How much recoil difference is there between the P32 and P3AT?

50 rounds through my LCP is not horrible, but also not enjoyable either.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    What about the lightweight S&W .22 Magnum?
    I am not convinced the Magnum is worth it out of a 2” barrel. Good thought though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    How much recoil difference is there between the P32 and P3AT?

50 rounds through my LCP is not horrible, but also not enjoyable either.
    There is a noticeable difference in recoil that I would have a difficult time quantifying, but on a qualitative basis, I would not hesitate to recommend the .32 to someone with hand or wrist issues that limits ability to withstand recoil, or to someone who is generally recoil shy. My wife does not enjoy recoil, and my P-32 is one of the few guns I can get her to carry. I do not find the .380 to be at all unpleasant, but it is definitely more noticeable, and requires some recoil tolerance.

For me, the biggest difference is the tendency of the .380 to shift in my hand under recoil. The +0 or +1 magazine extensions available from Kel-Tec are a huge help in eliminating this problem, particularly since the LaserGuard shortens the already-limited length of available grip. I have tried both extensions, and prefer the +0 because it provides a more secure grip on the gun, and is also quieter when I am carrying the gun.

Both guns have significantly less felt recoil than the straight blowback guns in the same calibers made by North American Arms.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    There is a noticeable difference in recoil that I would have a difficult time quantifying, but on a qualitative basis, I would not hesitate to recommend the .32 to someone with hand or wrist issues that limits ability to withstand recoil, or to someone who is generally recoil shy. My wife does not enjoy recoil, and my P-32 is one of the few guns I can get her to carry. I do not find the .380 to be at all unpleasant, but it is definitely more noticeable, and requires some recoil tolerance.

For me, the biggest difference is the tendency of the .380 to shift in my hand under recoil. The +0 or +1 magazine extensions available from Kel-Tec are a huge help in eliminating this problem, particularly since the LaserGuard shortens the already-limited length of available grip. I have tried both extensions, and prefer the +0 because it provides a more secure grip on the gun, and is also quieter when I am carrying the gun.

Both guns have significantly less felt recoil than the straight blowback guns in the same calibers made by North American Arms.

What I don't like about the LCP is my trigger finger takes a beating. I wish they made one .32, but I may give the Kel Tec a look one day.

It's hard to beat these guns for their intended purpose in my opinion.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What I don't like about the LCP is my trigger finger takes a beating. I wish they made one .32, but I may give the Kel Tec a look one day.

It's hard to beat these guns for their intended purpose in my opinion.
    For their intended purpose, they are the best I have seen. I include both Kel-Tecs and the LCP in that statement.

I carried the .32 when I worked in Philadelphia for an employer which had no known polices regarding guns, but would have been very unlikely to approve my being armed. Even now that I own a Sig P365, the .380 is my first choice if I absolutely, positively have to be discreet. These tiny guns also make great backup guns with little size or weight penalty.

How is a weapon chambered in a cartridge that doesn’t repeatably put people down reliable?

I don’t give a shit what the MTBF is for a .22, it’s an unreliable choice for self defense.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I know this does not answer the original question but it seems the thread has veered into small autos.
    My experience with Kel-tec P32s and P3ATs has been good. My wife and my nephew carry P32s loaded with Fiocchi Extrema 60 gr. XTP. I have two P3ATs that I pocket carry occasionally with Fiocchi Extrema 90 gr. XTP. They are early editions with the machined extractors that I detailed and have all been very reliable.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Site Supporter
    I no longer have a P32. I bought one 15 or so years ago and it became my first edc that I actually carried edc. The gun was either in an uncle mikes pocket holster or AIWB using the pocket clip. I could tuck the shirt behind it and a slight blouse and it disappeared.
    The gun was 100% with exception of one box of ammo but it was an ammo issue not the gun. I was impressed with the accuracy. I was able to keep all rounds on a pie plate at 7-10 years and for where I was as a shooter that was decent. I wish I had it so that I could see what the gun could do now that I have improved my ability.

I always thought the M&P 340PD at 11.8 oz unloaded was the epitome of lightweight carry snubbies, no? Doc, you list it at 14.4 loaded with 158 gr contender. I carry 5xFederal Gold Medal Match WC in my #5401 Ruger LCR .38, which I just weighed on my kitchen scale at 2.5 oz. Added to 11.8 gives you 14.3. I think a fair few folks here much smarter than me use WCs in lighter J-frames...Just a thought.

User Tag List