Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Lightest Available Reliable Revolver.

"Comparing a Colt 1903 to a Plastic Fantastic is like a Timex/Rolex study and "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand".

Well said. That 1903 is a beautiful gun.

"I’m going to find out if my gunsmith can fit a new cylinder assembly, so I can swap cylinders easily".

I just did it myself. Averages about 5 minutes per chamber while watching TV.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Didn’t a well known gun writer die within the last few years after one of these discharged when dropped? They’re not drop safe, right? Or am I thinking of something else/mixing up incidents?
    Might have been this incident? (It’s the last one, or “Case 4”)

https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...tia-discharge/

I would defer to @Mas, as he wrote the article.

You nailed it, Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Mas View Post
    You nailed it, Rich.
    And once again, we have definitive proof of why this is the best serious firearms training forum on the open web.
    Thank you, @Mas.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Yeah you rite

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Didn’t a well known gun writer die within the last few years after one of these discharged when dropped? They’re not drop safe, right? Or am I thinking of something else/mixing up incidents?
    If it isn't dangerous I won't carry it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingramite View Post
    What do you mean?

All guns are dangerous, but many are drop safe.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingramite View Post
    I doubt I would ever even see the short news story about you bleeding out alone in a parking lot or bathroom if the worst were to happen so I honestly don’t care what you carry.

However, If you would like to educate yourself a bit on the matter we do have a thread where I and some others shared stories about our personal experiences with accidentally dropping guns, a few of which would have been fatal if the gun wasn’t drop safe, including mine.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....my-pistol-once

The fact that the old Colt & Browning pocket guns aren't drop safe is one of the reasons I don't carry a Baby .25acp, Colt 1903, Colt 1908, or my FN 1906.
    For the same size, I could tote a Ruger LCP- a gun that is drop safe, lighter, has (very slightly) better sights, and is a couple of steps up, caliber wise.

Or, get a Shield EZ, which is basically a modernized Colt 1908.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    What do you mean?

All guns are dangerous, but many are drop safe.

It sounds like a paraphrase of a quote by Texas Ranger Charlie Miller.

Miller used to carry a 1911 with the grip safety tied down with rawhide. Best sources I can find indicate he carried condition 2, hammer down on a chambered round.

Depending on who is telling the story either a civilian or an LE firearms instructor commented on Miller’s gun being “dangerous” due to one of the following: 1) having the grip safety tied down; 2) being condition 1 (cocked and locked); 3) being condition 2 (hammer down on a chambered round).

The apocryphal reply was:

“Son, if the damned old thing wasn’t dangerous, I wouldn’t be wearing it!”

Given how common the practice of skip loading Colt Single Action Army revolvers to ensure the hammer rested on an empty chamber was back in the era of Colt / Browning pocket guns as working guns, I suspect most Colt /browning pocket gun users at the time carried condition 3 (empty chamber).
    Last edited by HCM; 05-18-2020 at 08:51 PM.

User Tag List