Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Lightest Available Reliable Revolver.

.38Sp/.357Mag titanium J-frame cylinders are about $139 from Midway. You can also get titanium center pins.
    For each of my J-frames, I have one stock titanium and one reamed for 9mm. 12.5oz.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JimCunn; 05-16-2020 at 10:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JimCunn View Post
    .38Sp/.357Mag titanium J-frame cylinders are about $130 from Midway. You can also get titanium center pins.
    For each of my J-frames, I have one stock titanium and one reamed for 9mm. 12.5oz.

Just how snappy is the 9mm out of a 12.5 oz gun?

Subjectively, about halfway between .38Sp+P and .357Mag. It's a bit brisk, but I'm not recoil sensitive, so I don't find it objectionable. I shoot 147gr JHP for about 292 ft-lb of muzzle energy. That price should have been about $139.

Colt 1903 The Perfect Pocket Pistol

My advice is to watch what you ask for.
    When I bought this S&W Airweight it was advertised as THE lightest 5 shot J Frame in .38 spl.
    It had a Scandium frame and a titanium cylinder. I believe it was a Model 337, it's been a few years ago.

Anyway, it was like pulling the pin on a hand grenade when you pulled the trigger.
    Now, some folks may try to tell you that they can handle a pistol like this but I'm going to just man up and tell you that I never could.
    Sure, I could fire ten or fifteen rounds through it but it induced a flinch and trigger yank that I had a hard time getting over.
    It took a lot of training to get over firing that little fireball.

I've tried a lot of little pocket pistols and it's always a balancing act with a pistol small enough to carry in your pocket.
    To get an "effective" caliber in a small package is a trick.
    I had to take a realistic evaluation of what my needs actually were.

After trying literally dozens of pistols in various calibers....drum roll please....
    A Colt 1903 from 1922 in .32acp.
    John Dillinger and George Patton were on to something and they were not wrong.

Every edge on the Model 1903 is rounded and curved. It's thin, smooth, light, and has a relatively high capacity.
    They run like a Swiss watch and feel like a piece of fine jewelry in your hand.
    Sure, I've heard all of the arguments from the tactical fan boys who would tell you that the .32acp is inadequate. Don't believe it for a second.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Ingramite; 05-16-2020 at 10:52 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    This could be the modern equivalent of that:

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...o-compact.html
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Bretta Pico

Shooting Pocket guns is my Niche in the gun shooting world. Started shooting them about 12 yrs ago. Could not shoot them worth a damn when I started off. Which set off a challenge in myself. Figured, if I was going to carry one, might as well get proficient with one. It did not take me long to literally burn up 4 Ruger LCP's, I mean just destroyed them until Ruger would fix them and eventually replace them and finally told me they would not send me any more. Then moved on to other guns that could stand up with a lot of rounds. I also love the Ultralights and Ruger LCR9mm.

The most reliable pistol I have found is the Beretta Pico. My gosh what a tough little sucker. I own three of them, but one has so many rounds through it, you would not believe me if I told you. And rapid firing head shots at 15 yds is easlily handled by this mild shooting little gun.
    I also like the Kahr's. I train with the Ruger LCR9mm and carry the light weight 642.
    My favorite Plinker is the Ruger LCR22. Probably the most fun gun I have. Just love shooting this gun and cannot remember when I had a failure.
    Never thought much about 22. as self defense until one day I was shooting the LCR22 with some hot Hyper Velocity ammo at rapid fire into Shotgun clays I had set up. The fast shooting and accuracy really got me to thinking how this 22. cal revolver shooting 8 FAST rounds into a persons neck and face would make one serious defense gun.
    Get a Ruger LCR22. Best Practice you can get with a DAO firearm. Shoot the heck out of one and you will seriously hone your small barrel shooting skills. Not to mention have so much fun.
    PS Yes, I do love the little P32. Just think a gun that weights 10oz fully loaded with 8 rounds of Underwood Plus P. The gun is so small that you can fit it into the palm of your hand so easy to walk to your car at night and any gun already in the hand makes for one fast draw.

10oz fully loaded with 8 rds plus P underwood Defender

.38Sp/.357Mag titanium J-frame cylinders are about $139 from Midway. You can also get titanium center pins.
    Who did the cylinder work for the 9mm conversion? I’m guessing Pinnacle, since TK Custom says they won’t do titanium cylinders for conversions.

Anything to watch out for with those cylinders? I remember cleaning with abrasive stuff will take off the coating... messing up the cylinder.

I’m going to find out if my gunsmith can fit a new cylinder assembly, so I can swap cylinders easily. Worst case, might have to send the assembly out for NP3 Plus (I’ll just do standard guts for it).

Quote Originally Posted by Ingramite View Post

After trying literally dozens of pistols in various calibers....drum roll please....
    A Colt 1903 from 1922 in .32acp.
    Is that a Colt Model 1903 Pocket Hammerless?

What pocket holster do you carry it in?

How much does the loaded gun+holster+ammo weigh?

What brand of .32acp carry ammo do you use?

Thanks...

Screwball, TK did three of them for me. All were for identical 637-2 conversions. Each of the three has three cylinder and yoke assemblies:
    1) the original stainless yoke & stainless .38Sp+P assembly
    2) a stock stainless yoke & titanium .38Sp/.357Mag assembly
    3) a stock stainless yoke & titanium cylinder reamed for 9x19 & moonclips with titanium centerpin

I find that I prefer #3 because of the quick ejection & loading speed (about 4 seconds - at my age, I'm no speed demon). It only takes about two minutes and one screw to switch between assemblies. I carry three extra moonclips of 9mm in a Walmart pill bottle.
    I use 147gr 9mm to inhibit titanium cylinder face erosion (which hasn't been an issue so far).
    I use the Altamont rosewood combat grips to provide a three finger hold on the little monsters.
    My older brother has used his during an actual home invasion and says he didn't notice the recoil.
    I consider the cylinders to be consumables, so don't really care if they do erode (they haven't so far).
    If I remember correctly, you have also done this conversion.
    Last edited by JimCunn; 05-17-2020 at 08:05 AM.

If I remember correctly, you have also done this conversion.
    I have... but considering a titanium setup for reduced weight.

Thanks for the info.

User Tag List