Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Lightest Available Reliable Revolver.

This topic of pocket guns roughly parallels the topic of handguns in general. In the same way that one can either go all the way around the world, try everything out for themselves, then settle on a set of redundant Glock 9mms, like everyone said at first...

One can similarly agonize over, and buy/try all the options in pocket guns (I certainly did) and eventually just end up with a 340PD with GM wadcutters. Slow and expensive, and enjoy the journey—or quick/easy/quit fucking around and just get the 340PD. @JodyH can show you how to set it up with some sort of boxer short clip thingy.*

If the search for "lightest/reliable DCH" isn’t trending towards an ultralight .38 with light loads, you’re probably reinventing the same set of wheels than many experienced gun people have been driving on for years. JMO.

(*the third path is to go the maintenance-intensive "enthusiast" route, and run your 1911s, or rimfire pocket guns, or .32 centennials; just know what you’re getting into).

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Okay, I get where you are coming from now. By reliable in this instance I mean: goes bang for the entirety of its ammunition supply. I agree none of the calibers we are talking about in these lightweight guns is reliable in its ability to stop a human and I am not recommending them as first line anything. For me though, any 9x19 handgun is heavy enough to require belt carry and if I am going to bother with that I will just take a G19 because I shoot it best and the difference between a G43 and G19 doesn’t bother me at all on the belt.

I routinely carry my LCRX in 9mm in the pocket of my gym shorts or clipped to the wastband in my Gildan sweatpants without issues. The LCRX with 5 rounds of 147grn HSTs is 19 7/8oz, with 115grn fodder it weighs 19 1/2oz unloaded is 17 1/2oz on my kitchen scale.

Haven’t read all post I confess, but being a purveyor of the ubiquitous J frame, my vote is the original no lock 342PD or 337 PD. These are about 10 oz. bare naked without grips. Grips can add several oz. so you have to be comparing apples to apples.

I have found recoil is subjective, and is effected by load, grip, technique, physical condition etc. That being said each 4-5 oz. there is an appreciable difference between them. These ultra light guns say sub 12 oz are best with .22 LR, .22 WMR, and .32!

For a fleaweight revolver I think I would search the world over for a 342; six .32s trumps five .38 wadcutters in my book.
    Although what I have is a .38 fiveshooter bought before the advent of the .32 HR.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    The 43c is my every day all day pocket carry in an A Holster.
    In the interest of science, I shot 200 rounds of CCI Mini Mag through my 43c today. The other day I fired 100 rounds of mixed old ammo and hadn't cleaned the revolver since. I wanted to see how it held up.

I started with DOT Torture and got a 48 or 49 at 4 yards. All draws were from my pocket A Holster. All reloads today were from a Speedbeez reloader. There were no malfunctions or light hits of any kind. It went bang every time. Cylinder dumps at 4 yards were all on the head. 10 yard head hits were all there. 20 and 25 yards had most hits in the down zero of an IDPA target. A 15" square plate at 40 yards had nearly all hits, though they favored the right side because of the sun. I finished up with the plate rack at 10 yards.

I wear Duluth Trading pants and there is a little pocket on each side that is probably for a carpenters ruler. I carry my Speedbeez in one and a 10 shot speed strip in the other.

In the past I had been pocket carrying a Glock 26 with a 17 round mag for a reload. When my back started going out I started lightening the load. Name:  IMG_4955.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  46.3 KB

Hammertime
    I do not know historical Smith and Wesson Numbers/nomenclature.

I need to find a chart similar to this one that includes the off calibers.

an Airlite (scandium frame, Ti cylinder) J frame in .32 (is it: ACP? NAA? H&R?) sounds intriguing. Unfortunately I am just as ignorant of the various .32 cartridges as I am non .38/357 J frames.

Does anyone want to take a try at explaining the numbers? Then I guess it is a gunbroker search because they don’t appear to make the .32 anymore.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    In the interest of science, I shot 200 rounds of CCI Mini Mag through my 43c today. The other day I fired 100 rounds of mixed old ammo and hadn't cleaned the revolver since. I wanted to see how it held up.

I started with DOT Torture and got a 48 or 49 at 4 yards. All draws were from my pocket A Holster. All reloads today were from a Speedbeez reloader. There were no malfunctions or light hits of any kind. It went bang every time. Cylinder dumps at 4 yards were all on the head. 10 yard head hits were all there. 20 and 25 yards had most hits in the down zero of an IDPA target. A 15" square plate at 40 yards had nearly all hits, though they favored the right side because of the sun. I finished up with the plate rack at 10 yards.

I wear Duluth Trading pants and there is a little pocket on each side that is probably for a carpenters ruler. I carry my Speedbeez in one and a 10 shot speed strip in the other.

In the past I had been pocket carrying a Glock 26 with a 17 round mag for a reload. When my back started going out I started lightening the load. Name:  IMG_4955.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  46.3 KB
    Great shooting and 300 rounds without clean or oil is plenty for me.

@ Bill Nesbitt: 2 questions, please-
    1) Do you find the Speedbeez functional? And,
    2) Where did you find speedstrips?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    @ Bill Nesbitt: 2 questions, please-
    1) Do you find the Speedbeez functional? And,
    2) Where did you find speedstrips?

Thanks in advance
    The Speedbeez are OK. They function fine. They are what is available for the 22. If Safariland made a 22 speedloader I would use them instead. The Speedbeez might lose rounds if you drop them just like the old Dades.

I got everything at Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    For a fleaweight revolver I think I would search the world over for a 342; six .32s trumps five .38 wadcutters in my book.
    Why? @DocGKR suggests that anything less than .38 WC is likely to produce (even more) inadequate performance. Why is six terribles better than five mediocres?
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List