Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Lightest Available Reliable Revolver.

Hammertime
    Name:  80CA1D83-A701-4C6E-89D4-D155BA2A1BF9.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  55.7 KB
    Name:  1EFB11D6-7AF0-40FB-A835-F45B004390EA.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  80.9 KB

Got the 43C and put 200 rounds through it today. Trigger was a bit tight to start. Had issues with it not resetting in the first 30 rounds. That cleared up but the cylinder remains tight. It would not cycle Minimags at all which shocked me. They just locked up the cylinder. Aguila plated super extra went better. I am not sure if the lead build up at the inside top of the frame is normal or not. I did not shoot any un-plated bullets.

The LCR handily outshoots the 43C IMO. Cylinder dumps at 5 yards were a 4” group Ruger and 6” group S&W plus the Ruger hits to the sights. Not the mention the Ruger didn’t lock up and has been crazy reliable since day one.

The 43C is super light though and I hope it breaks in and I didn’t get a dud.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Name:  80CA1D83-A701-4C6E-89D4-D155BA2A1BF9.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  55.7 KB
    Name:  1EFB11D6-7AF0-40FB-A835-F45B004390EA.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  80.9 KB

Got the 43C and put 200 rounds through it today. Trigger was a bit tight to start. Had issues with it not resetting in the first 30 rounds. That cleared up but the cylinder remains tight. It would not cycle Minimags at all which shocked me. They just locked up the cylinder. Aguila plated super extra went better. I am not sure if the lead build up at the inside top of the frame is normal or not. I did not shoot any un-plated bullets.

The LCR handily outshoots the 43C IMO. Cylinder dumps at 5 yards were a 4” group Ruger and 6” group S&W plus the Ruger hits to the sights. Not the mention the Ruger didn’t lock up and has been crazy reliable since day one.

The 43C is super light though and I hope it breaks in and I didn’t get a dud.
    Clean it well, save some empty cases and use them for dry fire. Mince because a lot more fun to shoot once the anodizing wore off the front of the cylinder.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Hammertime
    Shot the 43C 266 rounds today.

Gave it a good clean and lube pre shoot. I shot it better today and it seems to be happy with a drive the dot sight picture at 5 yards. I used five brands of ammo:
    CCI Minimag HV 40 grain CPRN
    CCI SV 40 grain LRN
    Aguila Super Extra HV 40 grain CPRN
    Federal Premium SV40 grain LRN
    Fiocchi SV 40 grain LRN
    Armscor SV 40 grain LRN

I learned it is particularly intolerant of the CCI ammo in either flavor. The case heads are just a little prominent and the cylinder wants to bind due to drag between the heads and the frame. Interestingly, the binding gets worse with each shot and essentially the cylinder won’t turn by shot 7 and 8. That does not bode well for using Velocitors going forward for carry. I will test those next time.

I had about 5 instances of the trigger not wanting to reset. Mostly with the CCI. And a couple unlit primers. Two CCI which I am not holding against it and one with the Federal. All fired second strike.

It really ran well with the Fiocchi and Armscor SV ammo.

I cleaned it well again and dry fired with used brass. Currently doing a pocket carry trial. I definitely prefer the Safariland Mode 25 holster to the Mika’s. The Mika’s is too bulky.

My LCR .22 also had the same cylinder drag issue but not quite as bad with the CCI today, so maybe I have a bad lot of ammo. This gun is ultra dirty though.

I would not say I trust the 43c as yet. I would like to see it go 100 rounds with ammo it likes without drama.

Hammertime
    Name:  A1879ADE-18B4-4676-B814-91B9F672BAC3.jpeg
Views: 444
Size:  34.8 KBName:  891E8D46-5B69-4C08-A129-98D94F848483.jpeg
Views: 444
Size:  32.1 KB

Both loaded to capacity.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 05-23-2020 at 05:53 PM.

I learned it is particularly intolerant of the CCI ammo in either flavor. The case heads are just a little prominent and the cylinder wants to bind due to drag between the heads and the frame. Interestingly, the binding gets worse with each shot and essentially the cylinder won’t turn by shot 7 and 8. That does not bode well for using Velocitors going forward for carry. I will test those next time.

I had about 5 instances of the trigger not wanting to reset.
    When I fired 200 rounds of Mini Mag, all rounds were loaded with the Speed Beez which pushed each round firmly into the chambers. Did you try pushing each round into the chambers when loading? I think I remember doing a pretty good scrubbing of the chambers on mine when I first got it. I know when I loaded the revolver after the testing, I had to push some of the rounds down into the chambers. I think the chambers need to be pretty clean.

I think I had a couple of instances of slow trigger reset the first day but I'm not sure.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    When I fired 200 rounds of Mini Mag, all rounds were loaded with the Speed Beez which pushed each round firmly into the chambers. Did you try pushing each round into the chambers when loading? I think I remember doing a pretty good scrubbing of the chambers on mine when I first got it. I know when I loaded the revolver after the testing, I had to push some of the rounds down into the chambers. I think the chambers need to be pretty clean.

I think I had a couple of instances of slow trigger reset the first day but I'm not sure.
    I used a SpeedBeez loader (love it) and ran a thumb over the back of the cases. Chambers were all brass brushed and clean. I just don’t know. Perhaps it will break in.

I hope it works out for you. I really like mine.

Shot the 43C 266 rounds today.

Gave it a good clean and lube pre shoot. I shot it better today and it seems to be happy with a drive the dot sight picture at 5 yards. I used five brands of ammo:
    CCI Minimag HV 40 grain CPRN
    CCI SV 40 grain LRN
    Aguila Super Extra HV 40 grain CPRN
    Federal Premium SV40 grain LRN
    Fiocchi SV 40 grain LRN
    Armscor SV 40 grain LRN

I had about 5 instances of the trigger not wanting to reset. Mostly with the CCI. And a couple unlit primers. Two CCI which I am not holding against it and one with the Federal. All fired second strike.

It really ran well with the Fiocchi and Armscor SV ammo.

I cleaned it well again and dry fired with used brass. Currently doing a pocket carry trial. I definitely prefer the Safariland Mode 25 holster to the Mika’s. The Mika’s is too bulky.

My LCR .22 also had the same cylinder drag issue but not quite as bad with the CCI today, so maybe I have a bad lot of ammo. This gun is ultra dirty though.

I would not say I trust the 43c as yet. I would like to see it go 100 rounds with ammo it likes without drama.
    So when I got my 317 I had a similar issue, with the CCI MiniMags. The cylinder would heat up and swell, which was a no go for me. I traded it off to a casual shooter for 12-3 and we were both happy.

Chris Baker had an issue with his 43c and the trigger not resetting. He sent it back to S&W and they 'did something' to the rebound slide. I had that same issues with the 317 as well. Mine cleared up with dry fire and pushing the hammer forward with my thumb. You'll notice this is the second time I've recommended dry fire...

Best regards,
    Wheeler
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    So when I got my 317 I had a similar issue, with the CCI MiniMags. The cylinder would heat up and swell, which was a no go for me. I traded it off to a casual shooter for 12-3 and we were both happy.

Chris Baker had an issue with his 43c and the trigger not resetting. He sent it back to S&W and they 'did something' to the rebound slide. I had that same issues with the 317 as well. Mine cleared up with dry fire and pushing the hammer forward with my thumb. You'll notice this is the second time I've recommended dry fire...

Best regards,
    Wheeler
    I actually think the little gun is wearing in after about 500-1000 dry fires, cleaning and careful lubrication. I am confident at this point it will work out. Plus I have learned a lot about J frames. The Reset issue is simply due to the cylinder drag. If there is any drag on that thing it will push sideways against the hand and it will not reset. They are built tighter than the Rugers I am used to.

I just need to be confident that one, maybe two cylinders of Velocitors will fire from a clean, cold gun.

In the mean time I am using it as a pocket carry experiment because if I can carry this thing, I am certain I can carry a 340PD.

That is pretty cool. I was unaware you could swap out the cylinders. Where does one pick that Ti cylinder up?
    @Doc_Glock, sorry for the late reply.
    Midway USA carries S&W factory titanium cylinders.
    $139 plus shipping and it takes about 10 minutes to install.
    I think I’ve done 3 so far.
    It comes with an unfitted extractor but if you swap in your existing extractor you should be good.

User Tag List