Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 870 side folder?

You know, that picture makes me wonder about an Aridus adapter mounted on the underside of that folding stock......

Hmm. Speaking as someone that has an SBS built on a 12.5" Wingmaster that I did a Form 1 on, this could be very interesting.

I'd also love to build an adapter for a Remington Tac-13, and try that folder with it.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    13.5 without spacers, they ship a couple of spacers with it.
    Argh, I wish companies besides Magpul would get the memo about starting at 12.5" LOP instead of 13.5"

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Site Supporter
    Fatdog,

Have you seen what Rhett N. of Demonstrated Concepts is doing with birds head grip shotguns with his recoil strap mod? He's a member of our Shivworks Colorado Training group. I got to try his method out, and it was fast, easy, and painless. I was pretty shocked by it, because I hate pistol grip shotguns.

I don't think I'll purchase a stocked defensive shotgun again at this point.

I've been very intrigued by what Rhett's been doing with trashcannons, but it's something I want to experience firsthand before I commit to doing anything, and from what he's told me, it seems to work a lot better with semis than with pump guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Parf View Post
    Fatdog,

Have you seen what Rhett N. of Demonstrated Concepts is doing with birds head grip shotguns with his recoil strap mod? He's a member of our Shivworks Colorado Training group. I got to try his method out, and it was fast, easy, and painless. I was pretty shocked by it, because I hate pistol grip shotguns.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Fatdog,

Less pattern is better with buckshot.

Great shooting though. I would love to try a tac13.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I've been very intrigued by what Rhett's been doing with trashcannons, but it's something I want to experience firsthand before I commit to doing anything, and from what he's told me, it seems to work a lot better with semis than with pump guns.
    Looking at the way he's holding the gun, he's going to eventually pay a significant price in his joints, especially his left elbow.
    3/15/2016

Demonstrated Concepts LLC has several other You Tube videos about his technique. Here are a couple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpBoD5eV3hg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6H6...V7lmw&index=35
    Last edited by DamonL; 09-21-2020 at 09:56 AM.

Fatdog,

That's very interesting, thanks.
    I've been doing similar for years with an old style steel side folder for different reasons. I let the stock slide by my cheek and it works fine, and lets me fire stout 3" loads with no drama.

Side folders are excellent for my use, better to store or strap to a ruck and MUCH better getting in and out of a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Looking at the way he's holding the gun, he's going to eventually pay a significant price in his joints, especially his left elbow.
    In one video it looked slightly bent, the other one it looked locked out. Never lock out joints. A slight bend where muscles absorb the impact is what you want.

To offer a comment on the hand-strap seen in the Demonstrated Concepts video, it does, in its present form, look likes it works on one chosen side of the weapon, but it would, I think, be possible to make one that is ambidextrous. It would, however, take an extra moment to get snugly into that strap, if switching hands.

I cleared many buildings, with stocked shotguns, while working for the PD, and regarded ambidextrous handling to be vital. Of course, a home-defender is not necessarily going to be clearing the house. A home defender who has prior notice of trouble can choose a static defensive position, making it less likely to need to switch positions on the weapon.

To be clear, I am not dismissing the Demonstrated Concepts strap, as I really like his creative thinking, and, I do have ongoing roles for stock-less shotguns. One is my old duty 870P, now equipped with a Pachmayr Vindicator grip, and the other is a TAC-14, with Shockwave grip, that I bought after retirement from LEO-ing. I plan to (carefully) start trying some of what I saw in the Demonstrated Concepts videos. If things look promising, I may well add a suitable auto-loader, and equip it with a Shockwave grip.

I did switch to a Benelli M2, as a duty shotgun, for the last couple of years of my policin’ days. Pumping the fore-end, with the weapon shouldered, was becoming problematic for due to a gimp support-side shoulder. Installing a shorter-LOP stock helped, but my long arms “wanted” a long stock, so a switch to an auto-loader seemed wise. Running the pump, in a stockless configuration, is not a problem, for me, as the body mechanics are different when the weapon is closer to the body.

Benellis have recoil spring tubes, hidden within their stocks, so cannot be made into “whippets.”
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List