Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: The Five Shot

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    When I was a child, I was given a 1944 Gun Digest which had the 1911 Colt Government Model .45 listed at $44.75.
    That’s about $652 in 2020’s money. That’s less than what I would have expected it to cost back then.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    That’s about $652 in 2020’s money. That’s less than what I would have expected it to cost back then.
    Considering that no 1911s were sold commercially in ‘44, that is probably the last prices Colt put out in ‘41 or possibly early ‘42.
    Trying to find out what Uncle Sam paid for each one during the war years.

We’ve kinda hijacked Mr. Cartwright’s thread, so I’ll leave with this:
    Cursory internet search for old Colt ads show a “National Match” Colt 1911 circa 1930s with a price of $45(!). Guesstimating that guns to military would be 1/2 or a little more...

Steering back toward the topic of five-shots –

Just after the turn of the century the Bureau put together a draft new qualification course that combined elements of the DAC and the original PQC with the idea of having a single qual course for both revolvers and autos, which they initially dubbed the Handgun Qualification Course. It took a decade to make this litigation-resistant enough for deployment, and by then the revolvers had dropped out, so after a lot of vigorous discussion and some tweaking it ended up as the revised “PQC” of 2012.

It is possible, but not easy, to clean the PQC’12 with a K-frame. The hump to get over is eight rounds in eight seconds at the 7-yard line from concealment starting with hands together in front of the torso.

With a five-shot it is effectively impossible to clean the course, as you can’t avoid eating a round at the 3-yard line. Also, with the J-frame I have never been able to finish the reload in time at the 7 (using either the HKS or the Safariland Comp I loaders) mainly because of the short ejector rods on the 2” guns. However, even if you eat these additional three rounds at the 7, you only need 48 hits out of 60 to pass, meaning you can miss an additional EIGHT ROUNDS and still “qualify” on the course with a J-frame.

As we get further away from the revolver era, the convivial notion of having one course that can cover both types of handguns is receding. The PQC revisions that went into effect in 2019 now require 40 hits out of 50 rounds, but if you don’t make the reload at 7, with the five-shot you now eat three rounds there, plus one at 3 yards, one at 5, and usually three more at the 25, for a total of eight rounds, leaving a margin of only two additional misses to still “pass.” Not quite so easy anymore.

Because I can’t do it, I am intent on eventually cleaning the 7-yard reload stage of the PQC’12/’19. I refer to it as the Brick Agent Challenge, given that almost any agent who shot someone with a wheelgun these days would be facing some serious brick time. In practice, after the reload and the last three shots I transition to sight on the head of the target, to remind myself to be precise if I were ever to need the last two rounds.

Recently, I finally got around to ordering from Pistoleer some of the Jet-Loader-brand speedloaders for the J-frame. To my surprise I find that these things--in stock form--load as slick as Bubbarized Comp IIIs in a K-frame. I think these will save me enough time eventually to get down under eight seconds. If not, I may have to ditch the belt holster and resort to the subterfuge of starting with the pocketed revolver in hand, which should save another .75 seconds or so.

Once over this hump I’ll start working on the new 25-yard stage by shooting four standing, and then attempting to reload five while moving to kneeling to shoot four more under the new twenty-second time limit. Cleaning the 7 and the 25 would result in a possible 48/50 on the PQC’19. Anyone who can shoot a 48 on this course with a five-shot is pretty good. Someday I would like to be pretty good.

[P.S., if anybody tries any of this, let’s stipulate that the speedloader must be concealed -- no staging the loader in your teeth, tempting though it may be.]

[P.P.S., I'd post links to the 2012 and 2019 versions of the PQC if I were tech savvy, but I'm not there yet. Maybe someone else could do the honors? If so, thanks!]

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    It is possible, but not easy, to clean the PQC’12 with a K-frame. The hump to get over is eight rounds in eight seconds at the 7-yard line from concealment starting with hands together in front of the torso.

[P.S., if anybody tries any of this, let’s stipulate that the speedloader must be concealed -- no staging the loader in your teeth, tempting though it may be.]
    Shucks, could have tried that yesterday. I think its doable.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    I refer to it as the Brick Agent Challenge, given that almost any agent who shot someone with a wheelgun these days would be facing some serious brick time.
    Is that like getting a rip?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Is that like getting a rip?
    Spending time on the bricks is bureau-speak for a suspension without pay.

For example, the penalty for misuse of a government vehicle was a mandatory 30 days on the bricks.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Spending time on the bricks is bureau-speak for a suspension without pay.

For example, the penalty for misuse of a government vehicle was a mandatory 30 days on the bricks.
    Ditching a flash bang in an airport trash can because you forgot you had one in your carry-on bag and didn’t want to walk back to your car will also get you a few days on the beach.

Allegedly.

Glad I never did stuff like that...

There's nothing civil about this war.

We had a trainee that was down at FLETC... sent back here for a hurricane. Got to the airport, and couldn’t put his gun belt (with red gun) in his checked bag, nor the carry-on. Solution? Put it on and walk through TSA under his raincoat.

TSA took it, gave it back to FLETC... and the guy was given it back in front of his classmates with an explanation of what occurred. After that, he was let go.

User Tag List