Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Five Shot

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Agreed. I traded one for a Taurus 605.
    Sounds like you came out ahead on that one.

As long as we are bashing Glocks! When I retired in 03 my Agency offered my G23 to me as a retirement token. I gently and politely told my District Manager who made the offer, to keep it. Only free gun I ever turned down. To this day I don't own a Glock.

Thank you Mr. Cartwright for your telling of the "five shot". I think they kept S&Ws doors open for decades, a properly set up one is a treasure.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 05-08-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post
    As long as we are bashing Glocks! When I retired in 03 my Agency offered my G23 to me as a retirement token. I gently and politely told my District Manager who made the offer, to keep it. Only free gun I ever turned down. To this day I don't own a Glock.
    Bashing G23s doesn't equal bashing Glocks. A free G23 is a $99 conversion barrel away from being a cheap G19 which is whole other animal.

The strange thing is the G27 is slightly easier to shoot and significantly more reliable than the G23. The G23 is one of those concepts that briefed well but failed in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you want one, do so sooner rather than later.
    Definitely something to consider. When they eventually pull the agency owned revolvers too, I can just requalify with my G26.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    HCM:
    That said, I found the G23 harder to shoot than either the G27 or G22.
    I’ve always felt the same, although it seems odd in theory. Your comments and others confirms I’m not alone in this opinion.

Site Supporter
    Getting back to the original topic, I saw Colt only briefly mentioned. Did anyone carry Colt Detective Specials or other Colt steel-frame equivalents, or was Smith & Wesson a mostly universal preference?

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Getting back to the original topic, I saw Colt only briefly mentioned. Did anyone carry Colt Detective Specials or other Colt steel-frame equivalents, or was Smith & Wesson a mostly universal preference?
    I don't remember any issued by my agencies, nor those I worked with.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Glad to see you posting on this Bruce. Thank you! This place will be better with Bruce here. He is one of the very few folks from the FBI I really like. Many of their gun guys are squared away and were usually disliked within their own agency, but also the few that get along well with outside agency folks and can play well with others.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I share Mr. Cartwright’s preference for the Spegel-stocked no-dash M640 as the best steel J-frame POW option. It sat lower in the pocket than the magnum M640-1, and its DA action was a little better than the Chief and Bodyguard alternatives. Mine gave me excellent service prior to the 2004 edict. It was of much greater day-to-day utility than any of the hi-speed long guns locked in the trunk of the Bucar.

The guns were typically shot once a year for qualification on the 50-round Double Action Course, and that was about it. The issue “Plus P Plus” Hydrashok 147s (of song and story) had difficulty making minor power factor--even out of a 4” barrel--and did not beat the guns apart, so they almost never required repair. I don’t think our office sent even one five-shot back to Quantico for repair during the five-year stretch I kept track. So the loss of gunsmith support as the reason for dropping already-approved POWs rang a little hollow.

And no other approved handgun, then or now, enabled the agent working alone to knock on an unfamiliar door ready to reliably deliver a sub-one second hit from the pocket, if necessary, without alienating the resident or the neighborhood whose cooperation he was attempting to enlist. If you needed to do a car meet with a particularly-sketchy Source, a J-frame under the thigh provided a combination of control, accessibility, and safety, which no other firearm option could match. Sadly, the loss of the J-frames left a hole that has not been filled by any of the small Glocks, even though they are excellent pistols.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    This is destined to be yet another great thread. Thanks for the history and insight.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List