Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suppressor Covers?

Let's say I was running in a 2-gun biathlon event and had a suppressed AR. Max I'll shoot on any one stage is probably 45-60 rounds over a 3 minute duration, but typically only half that.

I need/want a cover to prevent burning the hell out of myself when I throw the rifle on my back and run to the next stage. What do I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Let's say I was running in a 2-gun biathlon event and had a suppressed AR. Max I'll shoot on any one stage is probably 45-60 rounds over a 3 minute duration, but typically only half that.

I need/want a cover to prevent burning the hell out of myself when I throw the rifle on my back and run to the next stage. What do I buy?
    Will one of these silicone covers fit?

https://ustacticalsupply.com/search....ppressor+cover
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Will one of these silicone covers fit?

https://ustacticalsupply.com/search....ppressor+cover
    I was running that exact model two years ago and found it to be less than satisfactory in pretty much every regard. On my Sandman K & Saker 556, it would shift around and not really protect my or my gear from a hot can. I 86'ed it after a few weeks of hard use.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don’t cover AR cans, just want them to cool ASAP. I have a folded and crumpled piece of aluminum foil that I wrap the can with so it doesn’t start a fire in my bag.
    I use Nomex pilot gloves much the same way.

Thanks for all the input, I definitely need more of a "mirage cover" than a suppressor cover for my TBAC Ultra 7, I'll just run my Vox sans cover for a while and see how I like it. I might need to get a set of nomex gloves so I can handle my can while still hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    I was running that exact model two years ago and found it to be less than satisfactory in pretty much every regard. On my Sandman K & Saker 556, it would shift around and not really protect my or my gear from a hot can. I 86'ed it after a few weeks of hard use.
    What do you use now?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Thanks for all the input, I definitely need more of a "mirage cover" than a suppressor cover for my TBAC Ultra 7, I'll just run my Vox sans cover for a while and see how I like it. I might need to get a set of nomex gloves so I can handle my can while still hot.
    On an AR, if you can remember not to touch the hot suppressor; I'd go without a cover if possible. Cools off much faster. I did an EAG/Pat Rogers carbine class sans suppressor cover and it wasn't a big deal.

On precision rifle with a can, I have found a suppressor cover absolutely necessary to mitigate mirage.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    What do you use now?
    Right now, nothing. I haven’t been getting my cans as hot lately and finding a suitable replacement for the old cover has not been super high on my priority list. However, it’s on my radar now. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suppressor Covers?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    On an AR, if you can remember not to touch the hot suppressor.
    Not to worry- if you forget and touch your hot can, you’ll “remember” really fast not to do it in the future. Ask me how I know. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    On an AR, if you can remember not to touch the hot suppressor; I'd go without a cover if possible. Cools off much faster. I did an EAG/Pat Rogers carbine class sans suppressor cover and it wasn't a big deal.

On precision rifle with a can, I have found a suppressor cover absolutely necessary to mitigate mirage.
    I tend to agree with this for 95% of the time. Depending on weapon, sling setup and the type of class, you're going to want to set up the gun accordingly.

Running two points allows you to trap the weapon fairly well, even when transitioning from a primary to a secondary. Running a single point means your muzzle is free to do what it will.

I have a burn proof gear heavy wrap for my turbo k. Its a decent bit of kit and it stays on but I will tell anyone interested in this to go ahead and over size the wrap a bit so it sits over the end and rear of the can, kind of like a chinese finger trap. The original wrap that i bought was way too short and would NOT stay on the can as it was free to slide fore or aft, right off the tube.

User Tag List