Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What if: Unarmed assailant charges while you're holding a long gun

Quote Originally Posted by Giving Back View Post
    Never had an issue with it. The hardest I’ve ever hit a human being was with the muzzle of an 870.

If you’re that concerned about it, use a muzzle snap instead. They’re effective for most folks. Full-on muzzle strikes are generally reserved for when a snap is ineffective or the circumstances warrant a strike.

Keep in mind, if you’re striking hard with the muzzle, especially to the face/head area, you are teetering on deadly force. Close enough so that I wouldn’t want a jury of people too stupid to get out of jury duty to decide that.
    Since I've never been trained in either and I'm now curious, can you briefly differentiate between a snap and a strike?

A snap is essentially like bitch slapping them with the shotgun or carbine. Using the side of the muzzle, to give it a quick snap to face/head. It usually requires sutures, but the structural integrity of the face is unchanged. Kind of along Bruce Lee’s one inch punch theory. You’re not hauling off and whacking them with it, just a fast movement with a hard metal object, using the side.

A strike is using your entire body, and the actual muzzle end. It’s not a winding up, telegraphing shove. It is still a quick, short movement, but you’re striking with the business end wear the BB’s come out, and using your entir body to generate a significant amount of force. Sutures are the least of their concerns upon impact. This technique, when done correctly, usually involves significant damage to the face/skull, and I’d argue is just barely a step below lethal force. Done right, no can Defense, and it fucks people up. Permanent.

Did that adequately answer your question? (Better to show an example of each, but I don’t have any willing participants to make a YouTube video.)
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I'd have preferred the YouTube video but actors are such pansies these days. Casting would have taken weeks. Great explanation, thank you.

User Tag List