Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What if: Unarmed assailant charges while you're holding a long gun

What if: Unarmed assailant charges while you're holding a long gun

What if scenario sparked by the suboptimal citizens' arrest tactics in Georgia: you wake to the sound of a nightime intruder. You grab your Biden-approved scatter gun to investigate and discover an unarmed, but intoxicated or mentally ill, burglar who ignores your commands to freeze. Worse, he charges right at you! You can plainly see that he is unarmed, but he also is clearly younger and stronger than you. What do you do? Does the answer change if you are inside your home vs outside in your yard?

How can you nonlethally defend yourself from a fistfight while holding a gun (especially an unwieldy long gun)? Or can you justify prophylactically shooting a completely unarmed man because he *might* subsequently disarm you and use it against you?

Site Supporter
    If you are killed by an intoxicated or mentally ill person are you any less dead? I think if you are attacked or charged by someone who is on drugs, mentally ill, or just someone who is in your yard and didnt like being seen you have a right to defend yourself. I don't think you have the right to chase them down.
    If the person is charging you because you have been chasing him and cutting him off and there are two of you who are armed and you shoot him you are just an asshole.

Disclaimer- this is my reply pre coffee

You can beat the fuck out of someone with a long gun, just saying.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    What if scenario sparked by the suboptimal citizens' arrest tactics in Georgia: you wake to the sound of a nightime intruder. You grab your Biden-approved scatter gun to investigate and discover an unarmed, but intoxicated or mentally ill, burglar who ignores your commands to freeze. Worse, he charges right at you! You can plainly see that he is unarmed, but he also is clearly younger and stronger than you. What do you do? Does the answer change if you are inside your home vs outside in your yard?

How can you nonlethally defend yourself from a fistfight while holding a gun (especially an unwieldy long gun)? Or can you justify prophylactically shooting a completely unarmed man because he *might* subsequently disarm you and use it against you?
    I have no legal opinion but I wouldn't go investigating. If the intruder is elsewhere in the house, which seems to be the case in your scenario, I'd cover the retreat to the safe area, hunker down and call police -- letting them know exactly where I/we am/are in the house, that I am armed and in a fortified safe area.

I'd let the guy think is cat-burglar tactics were working and continue on his merry way. IMO the best way to survive is to avoid any engagement - in my house or not.

In an unavoidable immediate confrontation inside my home, one of us probably wouldn't make it.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

I think some of the answer depends on whether your state has a castle doctrine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post

If an intruder enters my house, he broke in by kicking a door down or climbing in a window. I will not assume that he is unarmed. I am cripple and infirm. I can't retreat. There is no other place to go. Neither can I resist physically. So We know my reaction. I have tried to conduct myself in a way to avoid confrontations. I keep my mouth shut. I will not react to road rage incidents. As an armed citizen I have an obligation to do my best in not getting into disputes that might escalate. If I were to purposely infuriate somebody and shoot him after he jumped on me, then I have violated the law. That is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You can beat the fuck out of someone with a long gun, just saying.
    My wife has been in lockdown mode since March. At this point she could put a beatdown on a Kodiak bear...with a spoon.

"if the mamma aint happy, aint nobody happy...and mamma aint happy!"

Scenarios are dramatically different inside the house and in your yard.

Another great time to have a German, Belgian, or Dutch home security system.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Another great time to have a German, Belgian, or Dutch home security system.

I think a lot would also have to do with whether or not you had a right to confront the individual while armed. A bump in the night and a stranger in your house I would say yes. If a scuffle ensues and the unarmed intruder gets shot I think you would probably be in pretty good shape legally. What those dudes did in Georgia not so much. Of course my personal legal opinion is worth exactly what you paid me for it.

User Tag List