Thread: Accurate NO.5

Accurate NO.5

I have a big box of 210grn coated bullets for .44 specials coming from SnS casting and I'm am down to my last pound or so of Unique. Looking for and researching replacements for Unique, because Alliant powders are sold out everywhere. I keep running across data for Accurate No. 5. It seems to be close to Unique. I was wondering if anybody here has done any work with this powder? I am also looking into something from Hodgdon maybe CFE Pistol or Hp-38, those ideas come from here https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ent-for-Unique I'm just rolling the .44s right now because everyone wants to shoot it and punching holes with the Montana Bullet Works specimens is getting expensive.

Most of my firsthand experience with AA#5 has been in 9mm with 147 grain bullets where it worked fine.

In .44 special, Brian Pearce had an article in Handloader 289 where he recommended 9.5 grains AA#5 with a 250 grain Lyman 429421. Velocity was alleged to be 950 fps. In Handloader 308 Pearce recommended 8.5 grains AA#5 with a 255 grain Rim Rock SWC gas check. Same 950 fps.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I used to use AA#5 in .45 ACP years ago. It worked fine.

I haven't loaded 44M in a long time but I am pretty sure I used Hodgdon Universal and it worked well.

From a burn rate chart-

Name:  Screenshot_20200510-133659_Chrome.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  44.8 KB

I really like WSF in 9mm behind 124 grain bullets and am kinda curious how it would do in 44M
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

WSF is also great with 115 gr jacketed bullets in 9mm. I’ve had good results with Unique, Universal and Power Pistol in moderate .44 mag loads with 240 grain SNS coated bullets. I’ve tried WSF in several S&W .44 mags and got decent results (sub 2" at 20 yards). Some guns liked 8.0, others 9.1 grains with the SNS 240 coated SWC.
    Last edited by LtDave; 05-10-2020 at 04:43 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I am loading .40 and .45acp and have been using Power Pistol simply because that is what the LGS keeps in stock. No complaints , meters well through Dillon powder measures which some powders do not. No idea how well it might work in .44 special??

Site Supporter
    Some of the faster shotgun powders can work for reduced 44 Magnum loads.
    I use seven grains of WST behind a 240 grain cast SWC which yields about 850 fps from my 3" M29.

Never used it tho I'm a fan of #9. I'm probably going to go to #5 when my supply of SR-7625 runs out. Universal would be my second choice.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Deleted...........
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I am a big fan of AA #5. I use it primarily for 45 ACP, and sometimes 9mm and 40 S&W, but I've handloaded a ton of medium power 44 magnum rounds with it, using 200 grain bullets. I don't recall at the moment what amount I was using.

However, I do know that I got the recipe direct from Accurate. They didn't have 44 mag. listed in their standard reloading manual, so I e-mailed them. Got a really nice response from a guy there who gave me a range of amount of powder to use.
    Ordinary guy

User Tag List