Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Beware the man with one gun

@ long tom coffin..

I understand the try something new phase. My father and I used to look forward to the LGS monthly flyer so we could decide what to buy. Then because of this forum and PT I learned it was the surgeon and not the scalpel. It kind of took the fun out of trying new scalpels. Much less expensive though and my fun is now in measured improvement. Not trying to say I don't have any fun guns or won't ever buy another, but the days of thinking I "need" something new to give me an edge are over.
    Taking a break from social media.

There is much to be said for practicing with the same self defense handgun or the same weapon system most of the time. I recommend 9mm, because the best self defense ammo is very good, practice ammo is relatively inexpensive compared to other serious self defense pistol calibers, and the less recoil one has to deal with the faster accurate follow up shots can be delivered. At this time I like Glocks (17,19,20,22, and 26+2) and M&P9 (Pro Series, M&P9c, and M&P22).

If I had to choose only one it would be between the G26+2 and the M&P9c. The G26+2 Gen 4 would win because I like to shoot in GSSF matches. By the way the latest Glock 9mm ejectors and RSAs cured all my 9 mm Gen 4 Glocks of malfunctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomshek View Post
    Spending thousands of rounds getting used to a 1911 trigger and manual of arms will throw off your XXXXX HK/LEM ability.
    Thank you, sir. Thank you so very much.

I have been toying with the idea of re-acquainting myself with 1911s. Your poignant statement has caused me to nip that particular example of mental retardation in the bud.

Quote Originally Posted by Long tom coffin View Post
    I have this annoying habit of hoarding ammo,
    I am totally unable to do this

I've personally stuck on Glock - not for any real reason than that's what I've got and until I feel that the gun is limiting me in some way I don't see a need to change - afterall I've got holstes and mags etc.

I do switch back and forth between a G34 (shoot in matches and occasionally in practice and dryfire) and a G19 (EDC spend most of my practice rounds and dryfire with) - I seem to go pretty seamlessly between the two - sights, triggers are the same - I reload faster with the G34 even though I spend 85-90% of my reload practice with the G19 - splits, transitions, accuracy, precision - seem to be about the same - that is, I have not discovered a meaningful difference in my times or targets between the two, although I do feel more comfortable with longer shots with the G34 and I might break those a bit faster

I'm planning on picking up a SIRT soon and it will take the place of either gun for the vast majority of my dryfre

So, it's not 1 gun but it's pretty darn close - I wouldn't want to shoot an STI in matches and practice/carry a G19 - often I grab the 34 for a match and I haven't shot in 5-6 range sessions - seems to transition from the 19 seemlessly

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    @ long tom coffin..

I understand the try something new phase. My father and I used to look forward to the LGS monthly flyer so we could decide what to buy. Then because of this forum and PT I learned it was the surgeon and not the scalpel. It kind of took the fun out of trying new scalpels. Much less expensive though and my fun is now in measured improvement. Not trying to say I don't have any fun guns or won't ever buy another, but the days of thinking I "need" something new to give me an edge are over.
    Bingo! It's funny you should mention that in relation to this particular forum, as I underwent a similar renaissance after I first started reading PT.com, especially Todd's oft repeated maxim of "the shot timer doesn't lie." After searching for various "scalpels" to correct/improve upon certain deficiencies (usually of my own manufacture and the product of my own insecurities), I started measuring my results with my various pistols using a shot timer, and the results were pretty astounding. I was always (originally, at least) better with revolvers, having shot only those during most of my formative gun years. Next up, I was best with the Glock, as that was the semi I switched to after moving to wheel guns. I resolved to ditch all the junk I was shooting, and focus on the Glock. After sustained practice on a single platform, I'm as good with a glock as I ever was with a revolver, and now I am operating off of a significantly higher confidence level. The end results on my shooting have been astounding, to say the least.
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

I am not a one gun guy, but am pretty much a one platform guy. I never did much pistol shooting until I got into LE. Ever since then I have pretty much been a Glock only shooter. I started on my issued 22 before buying my own 35. Then I moved to narcotics, so I bought a 23. More recently, I have moved to 9mm, so I bought a 34 and a 19 and they are now my primaries (34 for uniformed work/ swat/ competition, 19 for off duty and plain clothes work). I also have a spare 19, and ALL of them are set up the same with extended controls and Pro I-Dots.

Outside of that I dabble with an FNS-9 and a S&W 625. I also have a pair of 1911's but they rarely leave the house.

To be honest I've always believed in the quote but never took it too seriously until I started switching back and forth from my G30 to my USP during shooting.

Whatever came with me to the range the previous time I shot better. I was tired of having superb confidence carrying my USP destroyed because I had lost skill with it and instead had been having more with the glock.

Plus the trigger feel of the Glock and the HK are worlds apart especially with the HK being a DA/SA gun.

-DBLAction454

User Tag List