Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beware the man with one gun

Beware the man with one gun

Hey fellas. I think we've all heard the "Beware the man with one gun he probably knows how to use it" quote. While I love gun's in all forms I've decided to put most of my training efforts into a one gun system for the next couple of years. I still shoot other weapons from time to time but I want to be really proficient with this one weapon system.

The weapon system I've chosen is the USP .45. This was my first handgun and I fall in love with it every time I shoot it. I love shooting .45 more than any other caliber and I put groups on 3x5 index cards with it better than any of my other firearms.

Because I'm doing this one system training I've found it prudent to pick up a duplicate... I feel no buyers remorse and actually feel much more confident about having 2 identical firearms. Anyone else practice this as well?

Yes. That seems to be fairly common amongst folks who move from the "different day, different gun" mindset to the "concentrate on one platform while dabbling with others" frame of mind.

When I started in IDPA, my buddies would always come over to see what I was shooting. I shot everything from a 1911 to a S&W 629 to a S&W 5906.

After being issued a particular brand of handgun, I started to actually focus on one platform. Proficiency improved fairly rapidly cap-stoned by actually getting some good training.

I only have one handgun right now, my HK45c, and I love it. I am limited mostly by budget but decided to save money for the HK and sell a different pistol I had been carrying and a .22 that I rarely shot. I also like the idea of focusing on one weapon though.

You'll find that amongst serious shooters (the vast majority of PFC regulars) this is a common, if not defining trait. Good on you for deciding on a pistol and working to become very good with it. You're in very similar company.
    Last edited by JDM; 05-25-2012 at 07:44 AM.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I can't remember who said it, it may have been Chris Rhines, but it was something to the effect of "I'm not too worried about the guy with one gun; he probably just bought it and threw it in a sock drawer. It's the guy with two or three identical guns, all well-worn, that worries me."
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I, too, feel this is a good idea. One interesting challenge I've come across, though, is coming up with 2 identical pistols. The may look the same, parts may interchange, but even "identical" pistols seem to have subtle differences in accuracy, POA/POI, and trigger feel. I've gone through this with both J frame revolvers & G19s.

The added bonus is you can dual wield those bad boys! I'm probably going to end up with a twin handgun in the near future as well. I think it's a great concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I can't remember who said it, it may have been Chris Rhines, but it was something to the effect of "I'm not too worried about the guy with one gun; he probably just bought it and threw it in a sock drawer. It's the guy with two or three identical guns, all well-worn, that worries me."
    That's a great quote.

As long as you all agree that above quote doesn't mean you shouldn't beware of the man with many guns, I am fine with it.

User Tag List