Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I want a canoe

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Yeah I don't get much call for aluminum work; what I do, I handle with a spoolgun because it's thicker stuff. But I can fart around with a TIG enough to make an airtight weld; the last and only paid TIG work I did was on a high-pressure hydraulic tube 8 years ago which is still holding. I wonder what canoe aluminum is? 4043? Or just 3003? Certainly not 5356.
    I think you could use a spoolgun just fine but you might have to cut the patch out to the frames. Aluminum canoes are a good bit heavier though, so that might be less than ideal for getting on top of an Outback.

Site Supporter
    I'm no SME but have done some canoing. Bith flat and whitewater. Growing up a buddy's family owned a canoe Nd kayak outdoor center and now he has his own. I never had to buy one as they had a warehouse full to use. That said they had Old Town and I took that as a clue. They took a licking and kept on tickin. I'd buy one.

Get a light weight canoe

I canoe some. I did white water canoeing in TN when I lived there. Buy a light one. It seems you are always carrying it. Humping a heavy one is NO FUN!

There are sites that have used canoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    I'm a shooter first, but I happen to post on 7 different kayak forums. I'm biased for sure, but you don't see any canoe bass fishing tournaments (at least not that I am aware of) but Kayak Bass Fishing is huge. Many tournaments out there. You would fish a tournament for the same reason that you would shoot a match. Experience and to test your own skill set. A sit on top is more stable than a canoe and a great fishing platform.

I don't want to make this post forever long, just planting the seed to look at a Kayak. LL's offer is generous indeed.
    Canoe vs kayak: half the paddle, twice the paddler..... 😎
    I’m ribbing you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    Canoe vs kayak: half the paddle, twice the paddler..... 😎
    I’m ribbing you.
    Actually, these days, I pedal: Hobie Pro Angler 14: https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-pro-angler-14/

I have a 16' Lund walleye boat in the garage, I prefer the yak.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    Actually, these days, I pedal: Hobie Pro Angler 14: https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-pro-angler-14/

I have a 16' Lund walleye boat in the garage, I prefer the yak.
    I did not know the fishing kayaks were that sophisticated.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    I did not know the fishing kayaks were that sophisticated.....
    That boat is not for everyone, but there are plenty of plastic boats that are sub $500 that a person can have a blast. Get a kayak, get a canoe - it's all good. Time on the water is a great place to be.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Some quick searching seems to show that, compared to Old Town offerings, if you are willing to spend 2-3x, you can cut weight by ~50 percent. That would be a game changer for getting into, out of and between certain kinds of water, and well worth the money if that's what you wanted to do. Or for who could do it solo. With Ti in my spine, a 40-45 lb cartop boat is a lot more interesting to me than one that's 80-90 lb.

On the other hand, those boats would likely have been destroyed by how I and the idiot friends I hung out with as a kid used them around pebbly beaches and jagged rocks.

My parents did some interesting canoeing when I was too young to participate. On one trip, the aluminum canoe got stuck on a rock in some whitewater pretty good. My dad hammered it back to straight so it looked surprisingly good, but some of the rivets never again held water out. It's still sitting on blocks in the back yard, but the Old Town that replaced it has gotten a decent amount of use over the years.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 05-07-2020 at 07:31 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Light weight?

I'll just leave this right here.

http://www.gentrycustomboats.com

I've been conversing with him via e-mail about a few of his sailing designs, as well as the Ruth rowing wherry. He's a good guy and designs well.
    There are a lot of his boats out there as they're simple to build & durable.

If building to suit one's self isn't the right thing, well, never mind.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Some quick searching seems to show that, compared to Old Town offerings, if you are willing to spend 2-3x, you can cut weight by ~50 percent. That would be a game changer for getting into, out of and between certain kinds of water, and well worth the money if that's what you wanted to do. Or for who could do it solo. With Ti in my spine, a 40-45 lb cartop boat is a lot more interesting to me than one that's 80-90 lb.

On the other hand, those boats would likely have been destroyed by how I and the idiot friends I hung out with as a kid used them around pebbly beaches and jagged rocks.
    Yup. If you’re going to be cartopping, weight makes a big difference. If loading the canoe is something you dread you aren’t going to use it much. If you live near water and can just drag it in, weight doesn’t matter so much.

Most inexpensive canoes are some sort of polyethylene. It’s flexible and abrasion resistant, so tolerates abuse, but is not very stiff. Some inexpensive canoes have an aluminum brace in the hull to help it hold shape. The Old Towns use a 3-layer construction that is rugged but heavy.

Aluminum is durable. It’s also noisy, cold in cold water, and sticks to rocks instead of sliding.

There used to be a foamed ABS material called Royalex, which was a good balance of durability and weight, but the company that made the sheets went out of business.

Composite materials - Kevlar/glass/carbon - tend to be in more expensive, lighter canoes. Great for flat water and rivers with few rocks, not so great if you play river pinball.

Flat bottoms feel more stable at first, but the stability can decrease abruptly as they heel. A shallow arch shape will feel less stable at rest but will be more predictable as it heels.

Whitewater canoes are designed to turn easily and are difficult to paddle in a straight line. Racing canoes will feel very unstable.

If you just want something to float down a gentle river, and aren’t worried about performance, almost anything watertight should work. Buy something used and have fun.

Wicked light weight: https://www.gaboats.com/

User Tag List