Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting of jogger in GA

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It strikes me as unseemly to have a GBI investigation launched into "who leaked the video". Seems like a distant secondary problem. I must be missing something.
    If someone took evidence from a case file and released it, it's a very big deal.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

It strikes me as unseemly to have a GBI investigation launched into "who leaked the video". Seems like a distant secondary problem. I must be missing something.
    Well, it's evidence in a potential criminal case. Some people on both sides of the fence have a vested interest in ensuring evidence, particularly evidence of the inflammatory sort, is not made public pre-trial. Assume the shooter is indicted. The video is making the rounds, and the more viral it gets, the more difficult it's going to be to find a jury pool who hasn't been exposed to it.

There’s a good chance that these guys had the preconceived notion that the runner would stop and comply when confronted by armed men. I doubt the took much time to consider what might happen if he refused to comply. Most people don’t seem to really consider what might happen if the person they have at gunpoint doesn’t do what they’re telling him to. I’m disappointed that a retired investigator would think this course of action was a good idea to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Two white dudes in a truck killing an unarmed black man...
    From my vantage point, I saw two armed men attempting to detain someone and that someone then fighting over a gun resulting in him getting shot & killed.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I wish the deceased had just kept running...though, from appearances, he probably shouldn't have had to.
    I don't understand that they had legal cause to even attempt to detain him and as just armed citizens on the street - the judgement applied was shit.
    I don't know that he was a burglar, but you do have the right to use necessary force to effect a citizen's arrest of a felony suspect in every state of the union.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Video looks pretty damning
    Why?

From the video I saw, it looked like the runner ran around the right side of the truck, then crossed to the left side of the truck after passing the front of the truck, and the runner went hands on and attempted to wrestle the long gun from one of the individuals.

Sounds like the video corroborates what statements of the individuals involved made.

What facts about the shooting itself am I missing?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    One media report stated that the video was taken by a third man who was with the father/son duo.
    Thanks. I wondered if it was something like that.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

31 seconds of video with no context of what preceded the incident is a bit short on evidence in either direction.
    Maybe folks could just sit back and let the GBI do their thing.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I don't know that he was a burglar, but you do have the right to use necessary force to effect a citizen's arrest of a felony suspect in every state of the union.
    Really. I respectfully suggest that if you conduct yourself in accordance with that belief, that, to use James Lee Burke's phrase, you will have the key turned on you.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Situation looks incredibly similar to Trayvon Martin incident.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    From my vantage point, I saw two armed men attempting to detain someone and that someone then fighting over a gun resulting in him getting shot & killed.

You can also legally use force to protect yourself against an unlawful detention or kidnapping.

User Tag List