Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting of jogger in GA

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Stepping out to a bird’s eye view of this, no good can come of it. Not to dead guy and his family, not to the trucky/gunny guys, not to the neighborhood/community, not to American gun owners.
    It's not like the guy was running around shooting up the neighborhood.
    Nor was he running off with someone's screaming kid in arms.
    Nor was he chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on.

Until more info comes out, rolling up with guns draws is looking both stupid and unnecessary given the circumstances.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I hope the investigation is thorough and justice is swift and fair. Whatever the outcome may be. I am not qualified to judge based upon the short video, however as an armed citizen you need to pick and choose your battles and I feel this wasn't one to pick. Simply following from a distance in the vehicle while on the phone with 911 would have probably sufficed for an unarmed man. As other have stated, easily avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I AM NOT YOUR LAWYER. I AM NOT GIVING YOU LEGAL ADVICE. I AM NOT LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW
    IN THE STATE OF GA

Oddlot:

Given the breadth and definiteness you speak with the re the parameters of citizen arrest law in all 50 states i.e.

"I don't know that he was a burglar, but you do have the right to use necessary force to effect a citizen's arrest of a felony suspect in every state of the union."

"I'm not saying their actions were reasonable, but no state requires "reasonable" to initiate a citizen's arrest other than some states limiting it to felonies you personally witnessed...

Please state the following

Could you please provide the name of the school and year in which you graduated from law school?

Could you please provide a link to any legal publications you authored re the law of citizen's arrest

Could you please provide the state(s) in which you are licensed to practice law?

Could you please tell the forum how many jury trials you have under your belt in which you selected the jury, examined witnesses etc.?

Could you tell the forum how many bench trials you have under your belt?

Could you tell the forum how many times you have authored briefs to be considered by a court of appeals?

Could you tell the forum how times you have argued in front of a court of appeals?
    What does any of this have to do with the price of tea in China? Are you seriously suggesting people do not have the right to make a citizen's arrest of someone who commited a felony in front of them? Or is your problem with my use of the word "necessary" rather than "reasonable?" That diction was a nod to my home state which limits police use of deadly force to the stricter "necessary" standard (a standard that isn't explicitly extended to citizen arrests, but I'm not taking chances...).

EDITED TO ADD:

Oddlot posted: "The American Heritage Dictionary defines burglary as: "to enter and rob a dwelling..."

The American Heritage Dictionary is not a legal dictionary and nor remotely authoritative re the definition of burglary...particularly in the State of GA which defines burglary as

"A person commits the offense of burglary in the first degree when, without authority and with the intent to commit a felony or theft therein, he or she enters or remains within an occupied, unoccupied, or vacant dwelling house of another or any building, vehicle, railroad car, watercraft, aircraft, or other such structure designed for use as the dwelling of another."

Clearly, the definition of burglary in GA reaches more felonies than to "rob a dwelling" and more places than merely a dwelling. (Section 16-7-1)

In short, the law is far more nuanced than your incredible broad pronouncements to date.
    Holy Flying Spaghetti monster man, BBI & I were just talking about the incorrect use of the word "rob." It had nothing to do with the original case...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's not like the guy was running around shooting up the neighborhood.
    Nor was he running off with someone's screaming kid in arms.
    Nor was he chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on.

Until more info comes out, rolling up with guns draws is looking both stupid and unnecessary given the circumstances.
    Yup. You know how that saying goes. When all you have is a hammer, everything becomes a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I see what you did there.

But it’s so much more than that...

It’s not just the fact that it could have been avoided, but the fact that this situation was in fact manufactured. Ignorance, bigotry and hubris were the raw materials and death is the product.

I hope the truth comes out, there is a fair trial and that justice is served.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say this could have been very easily avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I see what you did there.
    Every dirty job that comes along...
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    What does any of this have to do with the price of tea in China? Are you seriously suggesting people do not have the right to make a citizen's arrest of someone who commited a felony in front of them?
    His point clearly was to call out overly broad, errantly absolute assertions regarding the uniformity of use-of-force provisions in citizen arrest laws in every state in the union.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    ... Lord knows you all would be clamoring for due process if 2 white cops shot an unarmed minority who was resisting arrest...
    A strangely resentful statement -- not to mention untrue. Anyone who follows the discussions on this forum regarding LEO UOF knows shoots that look bad are called out as such by a large swath of the membership with the experience to know what they're seeing -- a critical element not shared by all here.

You seem to favor less considered, more disruptive posting.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Read about this earlier. What a shit show.

Video statement by the GBI director. It's a FB video.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List