Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 LastLast

Thread: Shooting of jogger in GA

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Which is why I espouse the rule of only getting involved with something when you're willing to shoot or be shot over it. Any voluntary conflict that does not meet those requirements are to be avoided, because you never know how it'll escalate but if you are intervening you know at least one party has a gun...
    Still one of my favorite articles on this topic:
    ————-
    …. When you pull and use a gun, you are gambling literally everything you have on getting it right during the event and being legally justified afterward. You are gambling your physical life. You are betting your job, your home, and every penny you have in the bank. At risk is your marriage, your ability to share a bed with the person you love, and your ability to watch your children grow up in person instead of from jail. You place on the table every friendship you’ve ever made, every dollar you’ve ever earned or will earn, and your family’s future happiness. You are risking sleep disturbances, flashbacks, nightmares, impotence, anorexia, alcoholism, drug reliance, and a long and bitter lifetime of regret if you get it wrong. That is the gamble you take when you use a firearm against another human being.

To take a gamble that big, it’s a good idea to be overwhelmingly certain there’s no other way out.

https://www.corneredcat.com/article/...of-a-stranger/

I think if there's any overlap at all between the Arbery murder and the Rittenhouse shooting it's "regardless of where you start, this is where you stop: do. not. chase. people. down."

That's a simple, easy-to-remember line for where you probably crossed over from acting in defense of your self or others to being the aggressor. It's where if you win the fight, you're probably on the hook for murder. And if you lose, they're not.

Not an absolute, but as a generality it certainly seems to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I think if there's any overlap at all between the Arbery murder and the Rittenhouse shooting it's "regardless of where you start, this is where you stop: do. not. chase. people. down."

That's a simple, easy-to-remember line for where you probably crossed over from acting in defense of your self or others to being the aggressor. It's where if you win the fight, you're probably on the hook for murder. And if you lose, they're not.

Not an absolute, but as a generality it certainly seems to stand out.
    Excellent point and that it needs to be ingrained. I think of the recent gas station shooting of retired or off duty officer in a Porsche SUV being attacked by multiple robbers. He did everything well but his pursuit of fleeing suspects probably caused him more injuries than otherwise would have happened if he sought cover or retreated. I'm glad he is out of the hospital and hope for a full recovery. Another recent shooting is by a delivery or Lyft/Uber driver who accosted by 3-4 suspects. He drives them off but then chases them down the street and sidewalk. One dead and one injured IIRC but the video doesn't look good for pure self defense and I think it was in California. I hope it works out for him too but an added factor in his case is that suspects/victim crossed racial lines which is always a factor in the court of public opinion and thus some DAs decision making processes.

Site Supporter
    There is a psychological disorder - Gun in The Truck Aggressive Syndrome.

If you are in your truck with a gun, the AI on board, sensing pursuit, should start saying - Stay in the Truck, Ding, Ding, Stay in the Truck.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    I don't consider myself some sheepdog with a savior complex, but I would feel morally obligated to act upon witnessing a potentially lethal attack. Yes, I would assume all those risks.
    Enjoy the ride, because it's very much a roller coaster in one regard: once it starts, you can't get off until it's done with you.

In your bicyclist situation, I'd stop and check if they needed medical attention, call it in to 911, and be on my way if I was off duty. On duty, same except I wouldn't get to leave as soon. Even for law enforcement, preservation of life comes before suspect apprehension. How you consider yourself is irrelevant, and I'll leave it at that. With my exposure to violent crime and the aftermath, I neither know nor care about the whole story that lead to the bicyclist being knocked over as far as the question of do I chase the car. Consider it cynicism if you like, but very few victims of that sort of shit didn't have some involvement in the lead up to the incident prior to the peak you witnessed and there's a damn solid chance they know who the suspect is anyway.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Enjoy the ride, because it's very much a roller coaster in one regard: once it starts, you can't get off until it's done with you.

In your bicyclist situation, I'd stop and check if they needed medical attention, call it in to 911, and be on my way if I was off duty. On duty, same except I wouldn't get to leave as soon. Even for law enforcement, preservation of life comes before suspect apprehension. How you consider yourself is irrelevant, and I'll leave it at that. With my exposure to violent crime and the aftermath, I neither know nor care about the whole story that lead to the bicyclist being knocked over as far as the question of do I chase the car. Consider it cynicism if you like, but very few victims of that sort of shit didn't have some involvement in the lead up to the incident prior to the peak you witnessed and there's a damn solid chance they know who the suspect is anyway.
    Troof.

I mean really...do you WANT to get yourself inserted into some drama between folks? Do you really WANT to be listed as a player in some sort of (probably) dispute between criminals?

Call me cynical, but just working in healthcare I've known my fair share of junkies, hookers, dealers, wife beaters etc....I don't treasure the thought of having any more contact with them than is required by my job.

The preservation of their life is my motivation. That ends when they're either dead, or they're alive and back home. The obligation to them as victims of a crime is the bailiwick of an investigator and it is not my obligation to punish their assailant.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Consider it cynicism if you like, but very few victims of that sort of shit didn't have some involvement in the lead up to the incident prior to the peak you witnessed and there's a damn solid chance they know who the suspect is anyway.
    That is a good point

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    There is a psychological disorder - Gun in The Truck Aggressive Syndrome.

If you are in your truck with a gun, the AI on board, sensing pursuit, should start saying - Stay in the Truck, Ding, Ding, Stay in the Truck.
    “G.I.T.T.A.S.”

A nicely pronounceable acronym.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    One reason I have decided ahead of time to retreat if I can is this: I fear any involvement with the criminal justice system. Further, I have spent much time interacting with people who had nothing or very little to lose. Relatively speaking, I have everything to lose. Therefore, avoiding confrontation with these folks is a good plan. I mind my own business, monitor my body language, and extend courtesy to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    If I recall correctly (and I might not), the initial reaction and case handling by local LE and prosecutor was pretty much that yeah, this is a normal thing to do. A very unenthusiastic or lazy investigation and great reluctance for the prosecutor to take it anywhere. It wasn't until word got out and State LE got involved that it went somewhere. Based on local culture, community standards, who knew who and all that, maybe it was tolerable behavior.
    Yeah, they thought it was so legit they leaked the tape thinking it was exculpatory. @rob_s I agree re not being normal to kill the guy. But being so stupid as to not realize how real that possibility was, perfectly normal to go all "CITIZEN'S ARREST" on him. FWIW one of the shooter's high school classmates said it didn't surprise him a bit. In HS he would talk about blowing a nig#$@& head off if XYZ etc.

The city of Brunswick and its surrounding county have an interesting history and are working hard to build back better off of this tragedy.

In general there are a lot of non-racists here. Each and every one of the multi-generational Georgian friends of mine also assure me there are frightful numbers of full Bull Connor racists still going strong and feeling their oats. They think my impression until a few years ago of it being a small fraction was Pollyanna delusional.

But this jury did it's duty well.

"About 1,000 people were summoned for jury duty in recent weeks in majority-White Glynn County, where the trial will take place, but less than half turned up.

Among those who did show during two and a half weeks of questioning by attorneys, many said they knew the defendants, had already formed strong opinions about the case or were scared to serve as part of the panel, pointing to the potential consequences specific verdicts may have on the community."

https://cbs58.com/news/with-a-jury-n...y-begins-today
    Last edited by JHC; 11-27-2021 at 11:13 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List