Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting of jogger in GA

I'm not quite as willing as some to consider this behavior normal for most folks living in the Brunswick, GA area.

Maybe I'm just a relic and kidding myself...but I think throwing folks under the bus en masse is a bad policy.

Kind of like all whiteys are bad. How's that make most of you feel?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    JHC and DG are spot on IMHO.

This "case" had ZERO traction until the video leaked and the GBI (GA Bureau of Investigation/State Police) took it over. They had it charged in a matter of days when it had lingered for months.

The three defendants saw him commit NO felony that day.

They chased him, falsely imprisoned him and shot him to death.

Knowing nothing more than what I have read in the media and perhaps 30 secs of legal research re GA parole practice:

I suspect that the shooter/son/youngest of the three will be sentenced to life without the possibility of parole.

I suspect the father and other man will be sentenced to life with the possibility of parole in 30 years. Given their age (seemingly 50+ each) , that will likely be the functional equivalent of a life sentence as 80+years old likely outstrips their avg. life expectancy outside of a prison setting let alone inside one presuming a death by natural causes in both realms.

https://pap.georgia.gov/parole-consi...life-sentences

Such a distinction in sentence would inject some semblance of proportionality given the relative culpability of the defendants while also ensuring the overall safety of the community and generally deterring other folks from embarking on such behavior. As I posted earlier in this thread:

1. Just because you carry a hammer does not mean that anything that sticks is a nail that must be pounded down by you right now.

2. I bet if they had a do-over they would have just called the police even if they HAD observed felonies that day (which they did not) as the juice was NEVER worth the squeeze.

3. What you feel about a situation and what you know are often two very different things and it behooves one to understand the difference and behave accordingly.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm not quite as willing as some to consider this behavior normal for most folks living in the Brunswick, GA area.

Maybe I'm just a relic and kidding myself...but I think throwing folks under the bus en masse is a bad policy.

That's a fair point, but I make a distinction between normal and tolerable. Normal seems like something most everybody would do. Tolerable is more like I wouldn't do it but I'm ok if that's how my friends or neighbors roll. Not my thing but I'm not gonna fuss if it's yours, and the outcome doesn't upset me. Maybe that's semantic hair splitting though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    That's a fair point, but I make a distinction between normal and tolerable. Normal seems like something most everybody would do. Tolerable is more like I wouldn't do it but I'm ok if that's how my friends or neighbors roll. Not my thing but I'm not gonna fuss if it's yours, and the outcome doesn't upset me. Maybe that's semantic hair splitting though.
    I don't know...and can't really say.

I've spent a few months over the years in the Brunswick area, on and off the FLETC base. If anyone knew I was a mongrel it didn't come up.

I'm generally pretty sensitive to hate crimes, considering a portion of my European family was lost to the Holocaust...and I have skin in the game of fighting against those who prey on innocents.

We can find the same weakness of character all over the nation. In NYC when Kitty Genovese was raped and murdered in Kew Gardens and neighbors did nothing. When a woman was recently raped on a Philadelphia train. Where people all across America, not just the south, turn a blind eye to crime, violence and a general lack of morality and ethics.

I don't believe that the South has a particular grip on this trophy. Its stink is pervasive.

We here have a quandary. On the one hand, the "gray man" perspective is to choose wisely when to get involved and what hill is worth dying on. On the other, if we do nothing, aren't we also to blame?

I'd say, (as a Yankee myself), that the myth of southern folks being the bad seed is a fiction that helps northerners feel superior without having earned the right. It's right up there with woke-ism imho. Easy to pretend to take the moral high ground when you haven't even set foot upon the slope.

(Not intended as finger pointing at you @Dog Guy )

One thousand fucking likes

I’m so goddamn tired of the “racist Southerner” trope.

Most racist Motherfuckers I’ve ever met are from Cali, NY, Boston, the NW, etc.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

We can find the same weakness of character all over the nation. In NYC when Kitty Genovese was raped and murdered in Kew Gardens and neighbors did nothing. When a woman was recently raped on a Philadelphia train. Where people all across America, not just the south, turn a blind eye to crime, violence and a general lack of morality and ethics.
    A lot of the outrage in both of those incidents is undeserved:

The narrative that passengers watched a man rape a woman on a train in suburban Philadelphia last week and “filmed it for their own gratification instead of calling the police” is false, the prosecutor handling the case said Thursday
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...false-80715177

Fourteen-year-old Michael Hoffman, who lived in the same building as Mozer, also heard the commotion. He looked out his window and told his father, Samuel, what he saw. Samuel called the police, and after three or four minutes on hold, he reached a police dispatcher. He related that a woman “got beat up and was staggering around,” and gave them the location.

But the police did not respond to Samuel Hoffman’s call

The murder of Kitty Genovese shifted from crime to legend a few weeks later, when The New York Times erroneously reported that 38 of her neighbors had seen the attack and watched it unfold without calling for help.
    https://nypost.com/2014/02/16/book-r...novese-murder/

Tell me about it when you've lived there, @0ddl0t

I lived in the area when Genovese was murdered. I remember it.

I also lived next door to Alice Crimmins when she murdered her kids.

I also stopped a local tough who held a black kid neither of us knew at knifepoint because he was in the wrong neighborhood in Queens. How could something like that happen in NYC? Shocking.

Also stopped a guy with a knife who held a girl in a dormitory at knifepoint as a student.

And plenty of other racially motivated matters, in NYC...some with folks I knew, others strangers. And let me tell you, Boston is famous for racism. If you don't think so, just read the comments of athletes playing there for a little color.

You wanna believe the south is full of bad folks, that's your prerogative. I can come up with a true story experienced firsthand from my years living in the northeast and elsewhere. People suck all over.

Don't read me newspaper articles.

Site Supporter
    Tell me about it when you've lived there, @0ddl0t

I lived in the area when Genovese was murdered. I remember it.

I also lived next door to Alice Crimmins when she murdered her kids.

I also stopped a local tough who held a black kid neither of us knew at knifepoint because he was in the wrong neighborhood in Queens. How could something like that happen in NYC? Shocking.

Also stopped a guy with a knife who held a girl in a dormitory at knifepoint as a student.

And plenty of other racially motivated matters, in NYC...some with folks I knew, others strangers. And let me tell you, Boston is famous for racism. If you don't think so, just read the comments of athletes playing there for a little color.

You wanna believe the south is full of bad folks, that's your prerogative. I can come up with a true story experienced firsthand from my years living in the northeast and elsewhere. People suck all over.

Seems like you can find bad wherever you find people.

I suspect most people in most places in the USA are decent enough and would help you if you need it. Some places are better than others, and certainly there are bad areas, but for the most part, Americans are rather decent. My wife does not look like most of the people we associate with, or who live in our community. She is as accepted as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Seems like you can find bad wherever you find people.

I suspect most people in most places in the USA are decent enough and would help you if you need it. Some places are better than others, and certainly there are bad areas, but for the most part, Americans are rather decent. My wife does not look like most of the people we associate with, or who live in our community. She is as accepted as I am.
    It's that simple.

It wasn't intended to comment on the relative racism of different parts of the country - just that in both cases the initial media reports of a large number of bystanders doing absolutely nothing was absolutely wrong.

I am personally surprised how many people think doing anything more than calling police is inappropriate. For instance, on another forum a majority of people seem to blame the motorcyclist for following the road rager while on the phone with police. In their mind, he is at fault for the shooting because he should have just called in the plate number and trusted the system...

User Tag List