Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting of jogger in GA

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I intend for this to be my last post in this thread until after the case is concluded. On top of all of the change of venue stuff the defense will argue, they are going to have one heckuva compelling witness:

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthel...3RSF6iE#page=1

A plea bargain at this point is likely a tough sell in the court of social media meaning that the prosecutor is going to have to go full steam ahead. If this case ever gets to trial(s), a hung jury(s) would not surprise me. The defense only has to get one "not guilty" vote.
    Well this is seemingly going the way of Martin/Zimmerman, eh?
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

It gets more interesting...

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/08/85271...estigators-say

Georgia state authorities said Friday that more arrests are possible in the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery, the black jogger who was killed while unarmed in February in the Satilla Shores neighborhood in Glynn County, Ga.

The director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Vic Reynolds, also shed light on his department's swift decision to arrest two white men, a father and son, in connection with Arbery's killing, two days after taking over the investigation from local authorities.

When asked what his department saw in the case file that local authorities might have missed, Reynolds said, "I can't answer what another agency did or didn't see."

"But I can tell you that based on our involvement in this case, considering the fact that we hit the ground running Wednesday morning, within 36 hours we had secured warrants for two individuals for felony murder. I think that speaks volumes for itself and that the probable cause was clear to our agents pretty quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Well this is seemingly going the way of Martin/Zimmerman, eh?
    I would say superficially at best, in that there are several key, substantive differences.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

McMichael, 64, was a Glynn County cop and an investigator for Glynn County District Attorney Jackie Johnson before retiring in April 2019. During his time working for the DA's office, McMichael helped prosecute Arbery, but he did not disclose this prior connection with Arbery to police officials during their investigation.

Arbery was sentenced to five years' probation as a first offender on charges of carrying a weapon on campus, and several counts of obstructing a law enforcement officer when he was in high school. In 2018, Arbery was convicted of a probation violation after he was charged with shoplifting, according to court documents.
    https://www.theblaze.com/news/georgi...-investigation

Would that be enough to prove the criminal intent aspect of Georgia burglary vs misdemeanor trespassing?

Even more reason not to chase the dude down. Just tell the cops, "Hey, it's Arbery and I can identify him. I know this because I worked a case where he got convicted. I'd be happy to look at your six-pack, or an in-field show-up."

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Would that be enough to prove the criminal intent aspect of Georgia burglary vs misdemeanor trespassing?
    Nope.

It could be used to say, “Hey, I’ve investigated this guy before, I knew he had a history of carrying a weapon”, but that’s assuming the suspect actually remembered/recognized the victim. Really, it should have just been more of a reason to call 911 and let the police do their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    Witness? How do you figure that? That is an opinion from a prosecutor, not statements from a fact witness. Further despite his claimed experience in criminal prosecution it is highly unlikely he would be allowed to testify as an expert witness that would be allowed to offer opinion testimony at trial.
    I’m with you I’m not sure how he would be a relevant fact witness and I’m sure a judge would care very little about his legal conclusions since that’s the judge’s job not the recused prosecutor. I’m sure the actual prosecutor would have fun impeaching the witness who has already recused himself due to a conflict of interest.

That is interesting. If true, why would he allegedly concoct a story about the individual meeting the description of someone responsible for a series of break-ins in the area, while the police indicate no record of any break-ins from the beginning of the year through the incident?

He is alleged to have recognized the person as someone he had seen previously and who had allegedly stuck his hand down his pants leading him to believe that he might be armed.

Did he or didn't he recognize this as the same person he had previously had a hand in prosecuting for an offense?

If there were no break-ins, and / or no crime committed in his presence, what was the crime which he had probable cause to arrest the decedent for?

And finally, wouldn't GBI have access to this information before making the arrest?

Something doesn't add up here...Could it be as simple as his having recognized Arbery as someone he had prior knowledge of from the past and therefore wondered what he was up to while jogging in his neighborhood? That might give some suspicion that he may have been up to no good...but what crime had been committed? The trespass?

There has been plenty of time for this information to have been asked, answered and digested, imho.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I would say superficially at best, in that there are several key, substantive differences.
    My meaning is more about the potential of this whole thing turning into a national/political sh*t show.
    Last edited by BaiHu; 05-08-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

User Tag List