Page 55 of 61 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting of jogger in GA

Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    I would be curious how the defense is going to spin, well after a group of us ran him down and hit him with a truck, he attacked us so we had no choice but to shoot him effectively.
    They aren't. Because these guys committed murder and it sure looks like it was at least racially influenced if not motivated. I don't really see how a jury is going to find them anything less than guilty given the circumstances that are coming to light now.

More important, to me at least, is that there be an investigation into the various DA's offices for delaying/obstructing the investigation prior to recusing themselves.

Student

(LI) Ahmaud Arbery Case: Seven Facts the Jury Will (Probably) Never Hear

(Legal Insurrection)
    Live trial coverage starts Monday, October 18, here at Legal Insurrection.

Posted by Andrew Branca
    Sunday, October 17, 2021 at 07:00pm
    Day 1 coverage link

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    (Legal Insurrection)

Day 1 coverage link
    I can’t imagine the defendants knew most of those factors at the time of the incident. They might be able to articulate that they thought he might have been high, but the things about his criminal history and mental health would most likely have been unknown. Even the info about all the other times he has entered the property in question and that he used jogging as a cover for theft would likely have been unknown to the defendants. If they didn’t know the info at the time, it had no role in their decisions and actions on the day of the shooting so it would only prejudice the jury. Caveat is that I never read the actual motions linked in the blog post. If the defense is articulating that the defendants knew all this info at the time of the shooting, then it should be presented to the jury.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    I can’t imagine the defendants knew most of those factors at the time of the incident. They might be able to articulate that they thought he might have been high, but the things about his criminal history and mental health would most likely have been unknown. Even the info about all the other times he has entered the property in question and that he used jogging as a cover for theft would likely have been unknown to the defendants. If they didn’t know the info at the time, it had no role in their decisions and actions on the day of the shooting so it would only prejudice the jury. Caveat is that I never read the actual motions linked in the blog post. If the defense is articulating that the defendants knew all this info at the time of the shooting, then it should be presented to the jury.
    I thought there was some prior history between at least one of the white guys and the dead guy? One of the white guys had been a cop or something and knew or knew of the dead guy relative to some past?

Either way, I gotta think that the only defense here, such as it may be, would be to attempt to claim that the dead guy was no "jogger" and was instead a criminal of some sort. Even if not with a goal of exoneration then at least a goal of conviction of a lesser charge, or lesser sentence. "yeah, we murdered him, and it was probably racially motivated, but he was stealing shit from that house and was no saint himself..."
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I thought there was some prior history between at least one of the white guys and the dead guy? One of the white guys had been a cop or something and knew or knew of the dead guy relative to some past?

Either way, I gotta think that the only defense here, such as it may be, would be to attempt to claim that the dead guy was no "jogger" and was instead a criminal of some sort. Even if not with a goal of exoneration then at least a goal of conviction of a lesser charge, or lesser sentence. "yeah, we murdered him, and it was probably racially motivated, but he was stealing shit from that house and was no saint himself..."
    Yes, IIRC, the older guy was a former sheriff, and might have even had a run in with him before. Prior knowledge is still not a good idea to run a guy down, something a former sheriff should know, right?

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Yes, IIRC, the older guy was a former sheriff, and might have even had a run in with him before. Prior knowledge is still not a good idea to run a guy down, something a former sheriff should know, right?
    "The devil went down to Georgia, he was looking for a soul to steal..."

I predict a shit show. (I know, I'm really going out on a limb with that one.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

The older guy was a retired law enforcement officer. He worked as an investigator for the prosecutor’s office. I’m not sure if he spent his entire career doing that or worked in a different law enforcement capacity prior to that job. I don’t remember reading anything that said he had prior knowledge of the decedent’s criminal history but I could be wrong. I remember participating in some discussion in this thread but didn’t do much research outside of that.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

given today's political climate, I feel compelled to say...

I'm not defending the guy. I'm talking about what his defense strategy might be.

I'd assume they will be grasping at many straws.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

given today's political climate, I feel compelled to say...

I'm not defending the guy. I'm talking about what his defense strategy might be.

I'd assume they will be grasping at many straws.
    If the law were all they had to grapple with...it might shape up differently than what is looming large before them. I expect that the law will be interpreted rather narrowly on one side...and somewhat more expansively on the other.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I followed this pretty closely here. I don't think the former investigator had any previous exposure to the deceased. And it would be dumb for the defendent to characterize him as stealing shit from that house as they pretty much ruled that out in the earlier investigation. Local security cams found the deceased and a number of other folks black and white walking around and through the under construction dwelling. Never found anybody swiping anything.

Unless they pull a helluva rabbit out of their ball caps, they could be toast. F'ck 'em. Too much of that still around here. Travis (age 34) - "Fu@#ing ni$%er" after the shooting. Came naturally, he used that in this social media posting before the shooting as well.
    Last edited by JHC; 10-19-2021 at 03:49 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List