Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting of jogger in GA

In NC, it’s a misdemeanor to break into a building (under construction). If you break into a building to commit any felony or larceny, it’s a class H felony. Does GA have a similar statute?

Merely walking into the building under construction, absent any witness(es) stating they knew the suspects intent or evidence indicating intent, in NC, is a misdemeanor.

For reference, NCGS 14-54 https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegisla.../GS_14-54.html

It was understood a couple days ago there was surveillance footage of an individual trespassing on a home construction site and that that's what prompted the initial 911 call and later chase.

Good to see the actual footage, and it never looks right to see folks poking around property not their own...

...but those looking to convict the decedent and call it case closed with this shouldn't, there are other noncriminal explanations that might apply. Fact is, once or twice I've wandered into houses under construction simply because I was curious how it was coming along and what the place was going to look like; shouldn't have, but I was younger and I did -- zero criminal intent, even though technically it was trespassing.
    Hain’t we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain’t that a big enough majority in any town?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    JoshS
    Re The practical application of Batson and it’s progeny: JoshS how many juries have you picked? How many juries have you seen picked from beginning to end?
    Personally, none. I've seen a few picked. We almost exclusively do work that can be dealt with at summary judgment. In the few rare cases where we have factual disputes, we've used outside counsel. This is also all civil. And, I don't recall ever having a Batson issue in any case I've worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    RT to trial

Blue- your second linked source says this too

“Georgia is peculiar in that prosecutors also have the right to demand a trial by jury. If either party demands a jury trial in an appropriate case, it will be granted.”

State constitution talks about the right to a jury being “inviolate”

I need to get on Westlaw to check cases get statutes etc.

Again very cursory. I would want to check to see any citations to the version linked, any other versions etc thru the Westlaw database.
    It looks legit:

"Having adopted those principles in Glass, and having recognized above their pertinence to a waiver of a jury trial, we conclude their application to the present case requires affirmance of the trial court's denial of appellants' demand for a bench trial. Although appellants' waiver of the right to trial by jury appears adequate, the refusal of the prosecution to consent left the trial court with no choice but to deny the demand."

Zigan v. State, 281 Ga. 415, 417 (2006).

ETA: Looks like the Georgia Supreme Court was asked to reexamine Zigan and declined:

"Smith offers no compelling reasons for us to reexamine Zigan. Although Zigan was decided not long ago, it was based on principles that have been a settled part of our law for many decades. The rule set down in Zigan is simple and straightforward in its application. It is a fair rule that permits the accused and the government to meet upon a level playing field. And although some of our sister states may have elected by statute or rule to do otherwise, the reasoning of Zigan is not obviously unsound. We see no good reason in this case to reexamine Zigan, and so, we continue to adhere to that decision. As Smith concedes, Zigan is dispositive of her appeal. The trial court did not err when it yielded to the insistence of the State upon a trial by jury, and we affirm the judgment of conviction."

Smith v. State, 295 Ga. 120, 122 (2014).
    Last edited by joshs; 05-09-2020 at 09:05 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Just as a reminder, while it may be of interest to the conversation here what the decedent did or didn't do, for the now arrested individuals only what they knew at that time will be relevant at trial. I'm sure there will be a lot of arguing about whats allowed to be allowed in the courtroom and what won't be reference this.

And on a side note, I wonder if any of the "CCW Insurance" type plans would cover you in this sort of situation.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingate's Hairbrush View Post
    It was understood a couple days ago there was surveillance footage of an individual trespassing on a home construction site and that that's what prompted the initial 911 call and later chase.

Good to see the actual footage, and it never looks right to see folks poking around property not their own...

...but those looking to convict the decedent and call it case closed with this shouldn't, there are other noncriminal explanations that might apply. Fact is, once or twice I've wandered into houses under construction simply because I was curious how it was coming along and what the place was going to look like; shouldn't have, but I was younger and I did -- zero criminal intent, even though technically it was trespassing.
    Well, me too, and like I posted earlier in the thread I've had a few folks roll up on me holding a shotgun. Never ran at the guy holding the shotgun and tried to take it though. Didn't seem prudent.

Lots of facts to come out but I think changing the thread title is fair at least.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Just as a reminder, while it may be of interest to the conversation here what the decedent did or didn't do, for the now arrested individuals only what they knew at that time will be relevant at trial. I'm sure there will be a lot of arguing about whats allowed to be allowed in the courtroom and what won't be reference this.

And on a side note, I wonder if any of the "CCW Insurance" type plans would cover you in this sort of situation.
    I would doubt it as it's not a purely self-defense use of force. They went out to essentially effect an arrest when things went awry.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I would doubt it as it's not a purely self-defense use of force. They went out to essentially effect an arrest when things went awry.
    Well, I don't know about that. That's one of the things that's bothering me about a lot of replies in this thread. I've seen some videos of 'citizen arrests' gone awry and a lot of the people replying are doing so like they rolled up him, pointed guns and shouted FREEZE then shot him as he pulled his shorts up.

I don't see that. I see them standing there waiting on him and getting caught flat footed and shocked as he runs at one of them and tries to grab the shotgun. Could be a lot more to the story, sure. Don't see it. Don't believe someone working as an investigator would go about a citizens arrest that way. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Eh...for me, it sort of makes chasing the guy and gunning him down worse.

Here's how I'd handle it:

String of burglaries with a suspect caught on camera.

Me: "Oh, that's so-and-so....I prosecuted him back in the day. Add his name as a suspect to the case report and let's seek a warrant."

Obtain warrant and serve it with marked units.

Done.

Or.......

"Hey, there goes so-and-so running from a house under construction. Let's check with the owner and see if he/she wants to fill out a case report for trespass/theft......whatever becomes of it. We know the guy so if there's something to seek a warrant for, we got his info right here in my noggin."

AT NO TIME WOULD I ATTEMPT AN ARREST, EVEN SWORN OFF DUTY, IN THIS FASHION. He's a "known offender" (if that part is true) so I would merely seek a warrant and arrest another day.

And with LE experience, these two should have known better.

Regards.
    Round up the usual suspects. There can't be that many of them in that burg.

My guess this is another Trayvon Martin shooting. Doesn't the FBI investigate civil rights violations. They sent 42 agents to Ferguson. Maybe they don't anymore since we have a new adm. If they don't they need a new website.

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/civil-rights
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-09-2020 at 09:38 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Well, I don't know about that. That's one of the things that's bothering me about a lot of replies in this thread. I've seen some videos of 'citizen arrests' gone awry and a lot of the people replying are doing so like they rolled up him, pointed guns and shouted FREEZE then shot him as he pulled his shorts up.

I don't see that. I see them standing there waiting on him and getting caught flat footed and shocked as he runs at one of them and tries to grab the shotgun. Could be a lot more to the story, sure. Don't see it. Don't believe someone working as an investigator would go about a citizens arrest that way. I could be wrong.
    Why did McMichael the younger exit the vehicle if it were not to attempt to intercept Arbery? Why armed? Papa McMichael was in the back of the vehicle with a handgun. What were the felonious or exigent circumstances requiring a citizen's arrest at that juncture?

Who initiated the event? This is why I don't think that a ccw legal plan will "necessarily" cover the court costs under the circumstances.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post

Somebody who forgot they aren't a cop any more and can do things on reasonable suspicion that they can't do as a private citizen might.

What you're missing is as soon as they attempt to stop him by threat of force (which a reasonable person would assume to be the case when two armed people block the road in front of you) there are only two options. A legal citizen's arrest or an illegal criminal confinement (or false arrest in GA, same thing). That's it. Shouting "freeze" vs saying "stop we want to talk to you" isn't where the line is drawn. A reasonable person would see a threat, just like you can't get out of a Robbery charge by saying "please give me some money" while holding a gun. The polite request and lack of a verbal threat doesn't make it not a robbery.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List