Page 60 of 61 FirstFirst ... 105058596061 LastLast

Thread: Shooting of jogger in GA

So it can begin again (citizen's arrest mentality).

Headline:

WATCH: Ex-cop's altercation, shootout with 17-year-old in Aurora caught on video

"Roseborough says that her daughter and some friends were pulling up to the family home at around 10:30 p.m. when a man drove up in a truck, boxed in her vehicle and started yelling at her for driving carelessly."

https://denvergazette.com/news/crime...7297afa97.html
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    So it can begin again (citizen's arrest mentality).

Headline:

WATCH: Ex-cop's altercation, shootout with 17-year-old in Aurora caught on video

"Roseborough says that her daughter and some friends were pulling up to the family home at around 10:30 p.m. when a man drove up in a truck, boxed in her vehicle and started yelling at her for driving carelessly."

https://denvergazette.com/news/crime...7297afa97.html
    Some details clearly missing from the story (was the 17 year old armed? Seems like it based on statements and injuries to the former officer). But the whole incident points out the tragedy that can come from bad decisions. The grief in the video is hard to watch....especially if you've watched it unfold in person before. Every single person in that video had their life changed forever because of one person's decision. Sobering.

I'm curious if any recent non-LEO pursuits and citizen's arrest have ever helped make positive difference in a serious criminal case?

Not store retention sort of hold and call for shoplifting.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm curious if any recent non-LEO pursuits and citizen's arrest have ever helped make positive difference in a serious criminal case?

Not store retention sort of hold and call for shoplifting.
    I assume not, but would be interested to know.

Still, having not seen the video and knowing that fuckery precedes fuckery, there may be a corollary to the "do not chase people down" rule.

If you do find yourself chasing someone down because they are totally in the wrong and assholes and everything... do not, and I can't stress this enough, ever chase them back to their home then get out of your truck, armed, on their property and start a verbal altercation. I don't care what happened before. Unless you have dash cam footage of a murder, rape or arson wherein they were not only caught in the act but also hash-tagging themselves on facebook with a selfie at the time, it is cousin-fucking-retarded to chase someone to their home because what, exactly, happens then? They have nowhere else to go. You've cornered them in the one place wherein they retain more rights than anywhere else in all fifty states. Including the right to gun you down in the driveway.

It's like the notion that "I'm the aggressor" or "I'm the home invader" is just pathologically incompatible with some people regardless of what they're doing. Where do we go from there? "I was defending myself when I kicked in your door, fucked your dog and shot your wife because you cut me off in traffic"? I realize that in the moment people aren't necessarily at their best but damn. You just can't do some of this shit. I don't know what it is going to take for that to sink in for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I assume not, but would be interested to know.

Still, having not seen the video and knowing that fuckery precedes fuckery, there may be a corollary to the "do not chase people down" rule.

If you do find yourself chasing someone down because they are totally in the wrong and assholes and everything... do not, and I can't stress this enough, ever chase them back to their home then get out of your truck, armed, on their property and start a verbal altercation. I don't care what happened before. Unless you have dash cam footage of a murder, rape or arson wherein they were not only caught in the act but also hash-tagging themselves on facebook with a selfie at the time, it is cousin-fucking-retarded to chase someone to their home because what, exactly, happens then? They have nowhere else to go. You've cornered them in the one place wherein they retain more rights than anywhere else in all fifty states. Including the right to gun you down in the driveway.

It's like the notion that "I'm the aggressor" or "I'm the home invader" is just pathologically incompatible with some people regardless of what they're doing. Where do we go from there? "I was defending myself when I kicked in your door, fucked your dog and shot your wife because you cut me off in traffic"? I realize that in the moment people aren't necessarily at their best but damn. You just can't do some of this shit. I don't know what it is going to take for that to sink in for some people.
    There's also the possibility that the concerned citizen in pursuit breaks any number of traffic laws and endangers any number of other drivers in their desire to follow the reckless driver who broke some traffic laws. Is hitting and t-boning a family in a minivan while running a red light in pursuit of a road rager really worth it?

Even if the person doesn't do the really stupid thing of acting as a one man swat team ect, but is able to think straight enough to stay back a bit- has that ever actually turned an incident that the local law was inclined to dismiss into one they'd prosecute?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    There's also the possibility that the concerned citizen in pursuit breaks any number of traffic laws and endangers any number of other drivers in their desire to follow the reckless driver who broke some traffic laws. Is hitting and t-boning a family in a minivan while running a red light in pursuit of a road rager really worth it?

Even if the person doesn't do the really stupid thing of acting as a one man swat team ect, but is able to think straight enough to stay back a bit- has that ever actually turned an incident that the local law was inclined to dismiss into one they'd prosecute?
    A couple of times I called in suspected drunk/sleepy drivers(repeated drifting across lanes and shoulder, often slower than traffic, etc.) and tailed them at a distance while staying on the phone until a trooper showed up. This was on rural interstates with very light traffic. I had no intention of getting directly involved and had no desire to get anywhere near someone driving that erratically.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Some details clearly missing from the story (was the 17 year old armed? Seems like it based on statements and injuries to the former officer).
    Given the shear fuckery involved, he might have pulled a Tex Grebner.

But then teen-aged shooters seems to be the hot new trend in Denver.

“That’s why I love what I do. Not a (n-word) in sight.”

On Jan. 21, 2019, McMichael and a friend identified as N.J. were about to meet at a Cracker Barrel when N.J. texted he had parked and saw a number of Black people there, said Vaughan.

“Need to change the name from Cracker Barrel to (N-word) Bucket,” McMichael replied.

Other messages sent on Feb. 11, 2019 included a conversation between McMichael and a friend that included a photo of a man who appeared to be disabled. The man was wearing a jersey that read, “At least I’m not a (n-word).”

Also collected from the 36-year-old’s social media accounts was a video of a Black child dancing on the daytime show “Ellen.” The sound on the video had been edited and dubbed over with the song “Alabama (n-word),” which included disparaging lyrics about Black people.
    https://www.ajc.com/news/crime/ahmau...M7ZETGWK436JA/

So during the murder trial the details were all "he might have used the N-word but we don't have it on tape" and technical minutiae on the legality of citizens arrest to... that. All of that. You could basically take any paragraph in that article and it would stand on its own as damning. Put it all together and how did none of that come out during the murder trial? Were they intentionally saving it for the separate, federal case?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    So during the murder trial the details were all "he might have used the N-word but we don't have it on tape" and technical minutiae on the legality of citizens arrest to... that. All of that. You could basically take any paragraph in that article and it would stand on its own as damning. Put it all together and how did none of that come out during the murder trial? Were they intentionally saving it for the separate, federal case?
    Perhaps what was legally able to be admitted to trial. American courtrooms are not about finding the truth, that's naive bullshit. They are about "proving" your narrative with the pieces you are allowed to bring into play (or keeping the other guy from proving his narrative, depending). Trials are often won or lost by keeping the other guy's pieces out and getting your pieces in. In a Murder trial, things posted online months or years before the incident in question are likely not going to be deemed as relevant. If I shoot you while you are trying to rob me, by feelings and opinions about your race or religion or whatever aren't particularly relevant. I can love or hate you but that doesn't change if the shoot was good or not. Now they are trying to prove a hate crime, and hate is now an element of the crime. Since you have to prove each element, things that were not relevant to a state Murder case are now very relevant and different pieces get admitted.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List