Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media separators?

Media separators?

So I'm still using a vibratory tumbler, 2 actually, one walnut, one for corn cob. I'm never in a rush, so this works fine for me. I have one of the FA plastic strainers that sits on a 5 gal. bucket, works fine for pistol brass, but bottle neck cases always end up with media left in them, even after some vigorous shaking and swirling. Was thinking about one of the rotary basket types, but they all look kind of iffy in the durability department, and the reviews seem to bear that out. Has anyone used one of these for dry media, and if so, how effective and durable is it? Thanks!

Dave

What are you using the dry media for? Something more than tumbling off case lube?
    #RESIST

I have the RCBS one that has a lid that closes over everything. I like to think it helps with the dust which I don't want to be breathing but I'm not sure if that's really a legit reality or not. It does however help with the noise when doing a large batch.

I also have the one that is basically a colander used with a 5gal bucket. I found that the RCBS gets a whole lot more media out of your brass than shaking until the end of time will ever do with the colander. The case feed on my 650 is a much happier camper since the switch.

I have, on occasion, returned the "media filled" brass to the wobbler/tumbler and ran it for a few seconds. All the media is then vibrated out of the cases. I did a bunch of .223/5.56 brass this way. Sometimes where there are too many "additives" to the media, clogging will happen often. For dry media, use minimal auto wax, conditioner, etc. to prevent clogging...

I never "got into" commercial media separators as I had several methods that worked quite well. I found a wire waste paper basket at the dollar store that works great; set the basket in a cat litter pan and dump the brass/media in and shake for a few seconds. My first was a plastic coffee can (Folgers, with built in handle) and snap on lid. I punched 1/4" holes in the lid, close together and just dump and shake into the litter pan. I have other methods but I use these the most. I'm a K.I.S.S. advocate...
    Last edited by mikld; 05-06-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    What are you using the dry media for? Something more than tumbling off case lube?
    I use the walnut with some mineral spirits and Flitz for initial cleaning, then after sizing, trimming, etc., they go in the corn cob to clean off any residual case lube. I use One Shot, so supposedly it's not necessary, but I do it anyway. Besides, it makes my brass look almost new .

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I have the RCBS one that has a lid that closes over everything. I like to think it helps with the dust which I don't want to be breathing but I'm not sure if that's really a legit reality or not. It does however help with the noise when doing a large batch.

I also have the one that is basically a colander used with a 5gal bucket. I found that the RCBS gets a whole lot more media out of your brass than shaking until the end of time will ever do with the colander. The case feed on my 650 is a much happier camper since the switch.
    Yeah, I'm currently using the colander style, like I said, it works great with pistol brass, rifle brass, not so much . I looked at the RCBS, among others, the reviews weren't all that good, most of the negative reviews cited pretty flimsy construction. Have you had any issues with durability with yours? Thanks.

Dave

I have been using the RCBS one for years and it works fine never had a problem.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    I use the walnut with some mineral spirits and Flitz for initial cleaning, then after sizing, trimming, etc., they go in the corn cob to clean off any residual case lube. I use One Shot, so supposedly it's not necessary, but I do it anyway. Besides, it makes my brass look almost new .

Dave
    I strongly encourage you trying wet tumbling with car wash soap and say an eight of a teaspoon of citric acid powder. I use a food dehydrator to dry the brass afterwards.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    Yeah, I'm currently using the colander style, like I said, it works great with pistol brass, rifle brass, not so much . I looked at the RCBS, among others, the reviews weren't all that good, most of the negative reviews cited pretty flimsy construction. Have you had any issues with durability with yours? Thanks.

Dave
    No but I do treat it gingerly. It is definitely of "low budget" build quality. That said, I've processed thousands of rounds with it.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/cm-2...8_8_23662.html
    If you're using a vibratory tumbler this is the best way to separate the media from the brass.

User Tag List