Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quick update on my UTX-85: After EDCing it since purchasing, I really like this knife. Carried support side, the OTF mechanism makes it easy to deploy, use, and retract with my left hand. The knife is surprisingly light, at just over 3 Oz., and lighter than an Endura. The blade is superb. Maybe the finest quality of any knife I’ve owned, with the exception of a couple fixed blades. The action was smooth to begin with, and has gotten smoother. I was concerned that pocket lint would get in the slot, but that hasn’t happened so far.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-19-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Has anyone heard of or have any observations on these? CobraTec Knives

I stopped in a new to me gun store and they had a case of them. Supposedly they top out around $180, all blades are D2. I don't see anything on their website about place of manufacture other than "Assembled to order in Waxahachie, Texas" so I'm guessing parts manufactured outside the US and shipped here for assembly.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

@awp_101, I don't have any experience with CobraTech. Externally, they look like Microtech knockoffs. The thing that has made me hesitant to consider all but the most well-vetted OTFs is that there's a lot going on inside these knives that we can't see. It's fairly obvious if a Chinese folding knife is of decent quality. (Well not the treatment of the steel, but still). But an OTF lends itself to nice looking externals and pot-metal internals.

Hopefully in this thread we can build a list of trustworthy OTFs? A good buddy just bought a Guardian Tactical OTF, and I'll have a report soon.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    The thing that has made me hesitant to consider all but the most well-vetted OTFs is that there's a lot going on inside these knives that we can't see. It's fairly obvious if a Chinese folding knife is of decent quality. ... But an OTF lends itself to nice looking externals and pot-metal internals.
    Very true. Honestly, an OTF for me would just be a grown up fidget spinner. I like helping out local places but if it's just exterior cosmetics with crap internals, I can get that from Amazon for a bunch less.

I'm going to play with it (phrasing), not point to it in my display saying "My my, ain't that pretty?"

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Has anyone heard of or have any observations on these? CobraTec Knives

I stopped in a new to me gun store and they had a case of them. Supposedly they top out around $180, all blades are D2. I don't see anything on their website about place of manufacture other than "Assembled to order in Waxahachie, Texas" so I'm guessing parts manufactured outside the US and shipped here for assembly.
    From a reddit post

Talked to cobratec reps(local to me) and the fact that ravencrest tactical,helleytec ravencrest,widowmaker otf and vipertec all sell the same design.on top of that you can find the exact same knife on dhgate/aliexpress for pennies on the dollar.they buy wholesale.some go the extra mile and buy rebranded kits to rebuild them in the U.S to say "made in america"

Not sure how accurate it is but their knives do look quite similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by paperman View Post
    From a reddit post

Talked to cobratec reps(local to me) and the fact that ravencrest tactical,helleytec ravencrest,widowmaker otf and vipertec all sell the same design.on top of that you can find the exact same knife on dhgate/aliexpress for pennies on the dollar.they buy wholesale.some go the extra mile and buy rebranded kits to rebuild them in the U.S to say "made in america"

Not sure how accurate it is but their knives do look quite similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That makes sense based on what I saw when I was tinkering with fixed blades 10 years ago. Buy the components from a wholesaler, assemble, shape the scales or handle and sell it as "Handmade in America".

I am reasonably certain that there is some truth to the discussion of imported parts and the brands mentioned (Ravencrest, et al.). I am also reasonably certain that there is a noticeable jump in quality going from the import parts knives to a microtech. That said, if it’s just a fidget toy, the import stuff can fit the bill, or so I’ve heard.

If I was in a position to edc an OTF, I’d be looking at the one that CF is flexing with. JMO.

Took a lot of willpower to walk away from a well priced Microtech Combat Troodon last Thursday.
    The little knife shop in the mall was pretty flexible on pricing since he's been closed down for two months and mall traffic was still pretty much nill.
    If it was black, OD green or FDE I'd have bought it on the spot for the discount he was offering, but the damn thing is red. He's going to have to come down another $25 to sell me on a red knife.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Took a lot of willpower to walk away from a well priced Microtech Combat Troodon last Thursday.
    The little knife shop in the mall was pretty flexible on pricing since he's been closed down for two months and mall traffic was still pretty much nill.
    If it was black, OD green or FDE I'd have bought it on the spot for the discount he was offering, but the damn thing is red. He's going to have to come down another $25 to sell me on a red knife.
    I'm the exact opposite. If I drop something outdoors I'd like to have a chance of finding it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'm the exact opposite. If I drop something outdoors I'd like to have a chance of finding it.
    That's why a bright orange Spyderco Autonomy is my outdoors knife.

OTF's have to be kept too clean for outdoors use anyway.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

User Tag List