Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

My CobraTec

Name:  IMG_1793.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1794.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  100.2 KB
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    If it were me, I'd go with the UTX-70.
    Just ordered a 70. May still get a mini Troodon to play with down the road.

John Wick 4, Hawk Deadlock OTF

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-31-2023 at 05:45 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    How does one clean an otf knife if it were dropped in mud or grime. I have two cheap ones that come with warnings that disassembly voids warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    How does one clean an otf knife if it were dropped in mud or grime. I have two cheap ones that come with warnings that disassembly voids warranty.
    Here’s what I have done with my Microtechs. But my knives have never been super contaminated, so I can’t say whether it will work for you.

Spray RemOil into the hole, and let it drain out and flush the mechanism. Then blast with canned air. Repeat if necessary. It can help to have the blade in ‘neutral’, so you can slide it by hand to clean the action.

Site Supporter
    Here’s what I have done with my Microtechs. But my knives have never been super contaminated, so I can’t say whether it will work for you.

Spray RemOil into the hole, and let it drain out and flush the mechanism. Then blast with canned air. Repeat if necessary. It can help to have the blade in ‘neutral’, so you can slide it by hand to clean the action.
    My Ultratech had gotten pretty sluggish and the Remoil flush just didn't get it done, I'd read that lighter fluid (napatha ?)would be a good option as it evaporates quickly and leaves no film behind. Giving the knife a through flushing with Ronsonol / blowing it out and following with the Remoil did the trick

Quote Originally Posted by D-der View Post
    My Ultratech had gotten pretty sluggish and the Remoil flush just didn't get it done, I'd read that lighter fluid (napatha ?)would be a good option as it evaporates quickly and leaves no film behind. Giving the knife a through flushing with Ronsonol / blowing it out and following with the Remoil did the trick
    Good ideal. I might try non-chlorinated brake cleaner or Gunscrubber. Another option is rubbing alcohol.

Yet another option is disassembling the knife for cleaning. See below:

NOTE: opening your knife will void the warranty. Do not proceed unless you are comfortable handing small fiddly parts that cannot be replaced if lost.

My new-to-me Ultratech had a heavy and somewhat rough action (especially on opening), so I decided to try improving the action. I used a triangle bit from Amazon, sold by BladeHQ, and this disassembly video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKwAQE8GAX0

It's important to keep the tool perfectly vertical so you don't bugger the aluminum surrounding the screws.

Note how the angled "disconnector" at the rear of the slider interfaces with the rear sear. This is what affects the smoothness of the opening action.

Here is the rear "disco" circled in red:
    Attachment 84033

The rear disco was very roughly machined.

I polished it with a rotary tool, so machining marks are just barely visible.
    Attachment 84034

Reassembly was easy because I did not remove the sears. The action was noticeably improved! Note: do not overtighten the screws. There was some residual Loctite on the threads, so I just left it and reinstalled.

Site Supporter
    A pretty cool Signature Series Combat Troodon should be here Thursday.

Site Supporter

Brake cleaner

My Microtech UTX-85 quit firing without warning last week. Some blasts of non-chlorinated brake cleaner got it working. I think it might be best to do some periodic preventative cleaning on a regular basis. My knife gave no notice that it wasn't working, until it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    A pretty cool Signature Series Combat Troodon should be here Thursday.
    I am really tempted by those but I just purchased a Signature Series Scarab 2.

User Tag List