Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    I definitely think there are worse options than an OTF, but the biggest concern is the blade not opening. Worst case scenario you can use the glass breaker to bash them if the blade doesn't open and I imagine that would be fairly effective. Could at least buy you enough time to fix the blade or access your firearm.
    Opening a folder while someone is kicking your ass is hard. In the early days of my current dojo, it was just me and the instructor for over a year. We did a lot of edged weapons work, and one of the games was: he starts working me over, and only stops when my knife is open. I could fill a thread with pics of the bruises . It was way harder from support side, at least at first. Waved folders worked much better for me. The OTF is the next thing I want to try. But fixed blades FTW, of course.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    How so? A P’kal is similarly priced, and the Microtech has a higher quality blade.
    I stand corrected, both directions. The P’kal is more than I remember, and the UTX-85 is less. I regret the error.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I stand corrected, both directions. The P’kal is more than I remember, and the UTX-85 is less. I regret the error.
    The crazy thing about Microtech is the price range of their knives. Evidently collectors are willing to pay mad money ($1500!) for limited runs with special colors and shit. But the internals are the same as far as I can tell, which is good for people like me who use every knife they own. It definitely took me a while to remotely consider an OTF, but now that I have one, I'm glad I did. The quality is impressive.

I'm kind of worried that these are the 2011s of knives... and that's not me. At least not in the gun world.

I'm kind of worried that these are the 2011s of knives... and that's not me. At least not in the gun world.
    I say you run with it, since you’re in a state where the 2011 of knives is protected by the state constitution.

To paraphrase Ferris Bueller: I don’t even have a derp blade. I have to envy yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I say you run with it, since you’re in a state where the 2011 of knives is protected by the state constitution.

To paraphrase Ferris Bueller: I don’t even have a derp blade. I have to envy yours.

Yes, I'm going to run with it. Derp notwithstanding. But if I have the equivalent of a 1911 death jam with my OTF knife, I'll probably be selling it just like I did with all my 1911s after that happened.

D/A OTF knives are my favorite, true one handed operation and great for people who love to fidget with things. Sadly I have a habit of losing, misusing, and breaking knives that I use as a fidget device.

Which led to me to what most say is the best cheap option Lightning knives made in China, 440c blade, aluminum handle, a strong thumb slide, lots of colors and blade styles and is almost never more than $40.

The paint does tend to chip off the edges but otherwise no complaints. My oldest one has been in use for 5 years and still going strong, and luckily I got it in orange so I haven’t lost it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking back to EWO, and the table of knives @SouthNarc put out. I can't remember if there was an OTF on that table. I don't see one.

I'm thinking back to EWO, and the table of knives @SouthNarc put out. I can't remember if there was an OTF on that table. I don't see one.

Nope, no OTFs!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Nope, no OTFs!
    Any thoughts about the utility of OTFs? I’d appreciate your perspective.

Any thoughts about the utility of OTFs? I’d appreciate your perspective.
    They don't do anything that regular one handed folders don't do IMO, except basically be a fidget spinner for knife nerds. Which can be cool!

User Tag List