Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Out The Front (OTF) knives

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I can attest that beating the living hell out of an Ultratech left me with a usable knife, though much sloppier lockup and with heavy deformation around the blade end opening. Silly I know, but sometimes it’s just nice to F something up. Gave it to a friend before total destruction ensued.

Ultimately the Microtech OTF couldn’t handle the weeks living outdoors with the silty grit that is common around these parts. I did really enjoy the one handed operation and the endless fidgeting that the OTF offers.

BTW that Hawk is a beautiful design. I’d like to feel an OTF that locks up tight.

Glad to be back around perusing the forum and soaking up knowledge. Back to the shadows, just thought I’d add color to the torture test topic.

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Skullybones View Post
    I can attest that beating the living hell out of an Ultratech left me with a usable knife, though much sloppier lockup and with heavy deformation around the blade end opening. Silly I know, but sometimes it’s just nice to F something up. Gave it to a friend before total destruction ensued.

Ultimately the Microtech OTF couldn’t handle the weeks living outdoors with the silty grit that is common around these parts. I did really enjoy the one handed operation and the endless fidgeting that the OTF offers.

BTW that Hawk is a beautiful design. I’d like to feel an OTF that locks up tight.

Glad to be back around perusing the forum and soaking up knowledge. Back to the shadows, just thought I’d add color to the torture test topic.

Jared
    Thanks for posting about your hard-use Ultratech. That's interesting about the wear at the opening. Do you have a picture?
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Thanks for posting about your hard-use Ultratech. That's interesting about the wear at the opening. Do you have a picture?

No photos of the opening. Was hard to capture a good shot of it with the black anodized handle. I would say it was an ~.005” lip created top and bottom of the opening. As would be expected with excessive batoning. It’s living a good warehouse life now.

Loved the M390 steel though. Had a decent factory edge and an even better edge with a little work. As much as OTF doesn’t fit my use case, this thread is dangerously tempting my willpower.

I guess this is new?

Pocket clip is interesting, if nothing else.

Keyshaw Livewire

Name:  7D5F036A-E649-4AB0-B907-EFD545654E8D.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  9.8 KB

Name:  E72E871D-6974-43A2-A949-2192ED70DDDC.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  10.1 KB
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    My newly acquired Boker OTF occasionally fails to lock when opened. I could send it to the importer and pay $15 to inspect and repair but decided to loan it to my young mentee who will cycle it a million times. Either the tool will self destruct or wear in. If it self destructs, I then will return the knife. I have several Bokers and like them. My opinion of OTF's is that one has to spend a couple hundred $ to obtain a 1st class knife that will lock up firmly. I know a one arm paper hanger who uses and swears by an OTF.

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Troodon Mini vs UTX-70 for a smaller/lighter/discreet option when I want something smaller than my Hera ( Troodon sized). Go.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Troodon Mini vs UTX-70 for a smaller/lighter/discreet option when I want something smaller than my Hera ( Troodon sized). Go.
    Troodon Mini specs show a blade length of 1.90". The UTX-70 has a 2.4" blade. How small a blade do you want?

What about the Benchmade 2.5" OTF that @rob_s posted above?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

Site Supporter
    Troodon Mini specs show a blade length of 1.90". The UTX-70 has a 2.4" blade. How small a blade do you want?

What about the Benchmade 2.5" OTF that @rob_s posted above?

I want to stick with Microtech. The blade length is ok either way. Really just looking for a "j-frame" Microtech.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I want to stick with Microtech. The blade length is ok either way. Really just looking for a "j-frame" Microtech.
    If it were me, I'd go with the UTX-70.

User Tag List